PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 PT factory deck questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2009, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 PT factory deck questions

I have a few questions about the 2008 PT Cruiser LX factory deck:
1) Does it support RCA outs to an amplifier?
2) If there are no RCA outs (and I wanted to replace the fatory system with a deck that does), is there any special harnesses that I need to be worried aobut?

The reason I ask is that I heard from source that Chrysler inbedded special computer info in all 2008 and higher models factory decks. With this in mind, I needed a special harness that would cost around $180 CDN. I haven't confirmed this and would appreciate any information on this and if any other 08 owners successfully installed a non-factory system.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all of you PT enthusiasts!

Daniel
Model: PT Cruiser LX
Year: 2008
Color: Black
Rims: American Racer 15" Chrome Retaliators

UPDATE:

To further clarify my questions above, the person who advised me I needed this special harness was a audio installation expert here in Manitoba. I am not sure if he's trying to scam me for more money or is an honest professional. From my research, the only thing i could find relating to this is a product called CHYAH05 CAN BUS Add A Head Radio Replacement which runs at around 130 USD. When I looked this up, it seems to relate more to functionality of audio on a steering column and specific models of radio (REF, REC, RAQ, RAK). I do not have audio controls on my steering wheel and my radio model doesn't match any of the models listed above.

Could anyone help me with this? I would love to save the cash and invest it into other areas of my new PT rather than a potentially greedy audio rep.

Last edited by djdan74; 05 Jan 2009 at 09:04 pm.
Old 06 Jan 2009, 10:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT factory deck questions

The factory radio does not RCA's built in so you would need a line level adapter to add an amp.

There are several adapters that should work with an aftermarket radio.
Metra Electronics Corp. CHTO-01
Infinity, Boston Acoustic, and Kicker amplifier interface harness

Metra Electronics Corp. XSVI-6502
Non - amplified interface harness that retains accessory power only. Click on part for more details.

Metra Electronics Corp. XSVI-6502-NAV
Non - amplified interface harness that retains accessory power and provides navigation output wires. Click on part for more details.
Old 06 Jan 2009, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No RCA outputs from factory deck. As stated a line level adapter can be purchased in order to add an amp. They cost from $50-$250+.

You can easily change to an aftermarket head unit. All you need is a simple wire harness from your local car stereo shop or even Walmart I believe has them. Cost is around $15. This harness allows you to plug in the aftertmarket without having to cut and splice your PT's harness.

If your PT has factory Sirius or UConnect then it could get quite expensive and difficult to connect an aftermarket stereo. Cheaper to not use them and instead use whats available on the new stereo.
Old 06 Jan 2009, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The harness for the 2006-2009 pt is different than the pre 2006 pt's. The 2006-2009 PT's use a canbus data system to turn the radio on so there is NO Ing/Accessory wire in the factory harness. The harness that retains the accessory wire runs around 70+ dollars US.
Old 06 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you to Mileshuff and Betdathurt for you quick responses. I was seriously considering your responses when a local non-chain installer called me back today and indicated that the "special" harness was associated with factory subs (which I didn't have) and/or Sirius (again, don't have, don't want). As I was guaranteed no additional charges, I will definitely move forward and install my JVC deck, etc.

Installation date is January 20th. Will post pics.

Thanks again for your feedback. I welcome any comments, emails and suggestions from other PT music buffs on their installs and mods.

Take care

Daniel
Old 06 Jan 2009, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by betdathurt View Post
The harness for the 2006-2009 pt is different than the pre 2006 pt's. The 2006-2009 PT's use a canbus data system to turn the radio on so there is NO Ing/Accessory wire in the factory harness. The harness that retains the accessory wire runs around 70+ dollars US.
Can you please further explain the "No Ing/Accessory wire" comment? What exactly does this wire do?
Old 06 Jan 2009, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A radio has a
Power/Batt wire = Yellow (for memory)
Accessory/Ing wire = red (to turn the radio on)
Ground wire = black

The 2006 and up PT DOES NOT have Accessory/ Ing wire in the harness.
The factory radio uses a databus system to turn the radio on.
You will need a harness that uses the databus system to make a accessory wire for aftermarket radios
Old 06 Jan 2009, 09:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by betdathurt View Post
A radio has a
Power/Batt wire = Yellow (for memory)
Accessory/Ing wire = red (to turn the radio on)
Ground wire = black

The 2006 and up PT DOES NOT have Accessory/ Ing wire in the harness.
The factory radio uses a databus system to turn the radio on.
You will need a harness that uses the databus system to make a accessory wire for aftermarket radios

I understand what you are saying, however I do not not understand the ramifications. Ultimately if the aftermarket system does not run on a databus system, what are the potential outcomes? Will it simply not operate or are there crazy complications associated in the installation/operation?
Old 06 Jan 2009, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You would have to find a wire in the car to turn the radio on(switched 12v). From what I know it does not matter if the factory radio is in the car or not as far as the canbus data system.
Old 06 Jan 2009, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have I 2006 PT and I pulled the factory radio out without any problems with the data system.