PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Service-Manual for Mopar 6-CD player?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2009, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Should eject CDs before disconnecting battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRon View Post
Try this. As you know, you can eject, and reload the CD's with the key off.

Leave the key off, and try to eject, and/or reload ALL 6 CD SLOTS, one at a time. Maybe even do this a couple of times, just to get the changer to organize the proper play positions on the stack. If it doesn't work yet, walk away from it. Let it sit overnight. Then try it. I don't know if the changer requires time to initialize, but it's worth the time. Please let me know what you find, one way or the other.
ps: mine is a 2004 also.
Thanks for the reply ... I ams sure many more will fall victim to this issue
as batteries are replaced.

Question --- OK so how do you remove CDs with the KEY off?

The PT GT 5 speed woody is my wife's baby I don't use it except when I service it. I drive and service my baby a 97 5 speed M3 --- double zooooooom

So when I replaced the original PT battery (with an AC-Delco one) I also replaced-braised in a new negative connector, to fix the poor corroding one that came with the car. I let the PT sit for 2 hours with no battery connected. I also left my wife's CDs in the player and I now think you should never do that if disconnecting the battery.

So now I think the player is jammed or confused and therefore will not pass it's initialization step at power up. If the CD player initializes right then I think it tells the radio-head "I am here and ready to play" and only then the radio shows the CD player as a selectable mode.
Old 05 Jul 2009, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Service-Manual for Mopar 6-CD player?

You do not have to have the key in the ignition to eject or load CD's. Simply push the Eject button on the right bottom side of the player face. Try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 10.jpg (19.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by RetiredRon; 05 Jul 2009 at 09:45 pm. Reason: add pic
Old 06 Jul 2009, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My wife tried to eject CDs with key off. The CD player makes noises but no CDs came out. She doesn't know for sure if there are CDs in the player or not.

If I have to pull the player and remove the CDs like you did, how do I pull the player?
Old 06 Jul 2009, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The following instructions will work for a 2001-2005.

The center bezel is easy, thanks to PT Cuda's instructions.

Center Bezel removal:
Trim stick in the window switch at the top, pull down and out, it will pop out the window switch. Disconnect the switch from the harness .

Behind where the window switch was, remove the screw that is top center.
Pull off all A/C knobs (2001 only all A/C control knobs must be straight up in order to come off, all other years it does not matter).
At this point the center bezel is ready to come out.
Just pull and work your way around the edges, it is held in by snap clips they can be a bit tight so once you get one out just work your way around so you don't bend the bezel.. But getting it started may require some force.
Remember the A/C vents are attached and will come with the bezel. Some are a part of the bezel, and will come out with the bezel. If they're not,
they are removed by just taking out the two or three screws holding them in place on the back.

Once the bezel is out, you can remove the stereo with four screws, then unplug the antenna, then unplug the two power connectors. The stereo pulls right out. I hope you are good with electronic assembly, you'll have to talk the radios covers off to get to the CD stack. If you're going to try to salvage the unit, don't try to remove the disc's from the stack until you know what you're doing. Putting it back together is slow, tedious, and easy to damage!
I'm taking in bad units, and trying to salvage parts for future use. If you determine it's not worth your time, and want to get rid of it, let me know. We'll put a price on it, and I'll pay for shipping. And, yes, I can and will take out any CD's and return them to you.

Good Luck
Ron
RetiredRon at earthlink.net
Old 17 Aug 2009, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I haven't tried to fix it yet .... but just found these people selling used 6 cd players on ebay .....

CHRYSLER DODGE 02-07 FACTORY 6 DISC STEREO CD PLAYER:eBay Motors (item 310156196575 end time Aug-17-09 16:17:06 PDT)

This is what I think the CD player needs .....

This model radio may need to be programmed at the dealer for it work properly. The dealership will actually program the radio to the vehicle so they can communicate together. The estimated cost to program one of the radio to your vehicles is $45.00 but check with your local dealer for a quote. We do NOT accept returns on radios for this PURPOSE so be sure to research before buying.

Anybody heard of this before.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

Whoa, That sucks, I just bought one from member, not Ebay. I guess I will find out if it works or not when it arrives.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

A few months ago my wife tried talking to mama Chrysler and she was told there was no setup codes for the radio or like that. I also think she tried talking to a Dealership service guy and he didn't seem to know there was any lost setup either. One got the feeling they were out to charge a lot more than just $45. I bought a Chrysler service manual on CD but it only eluded to a possible network like setup for the radio head, and gave no details.

Anyway today we will try going to the fairest dealership is our area and see what we can find out. If someone can verify there is a re-programming setup that is likely needed and can give a quote we will be paying to have it re-programmed. If they say they don't know and we must leave the car ... we aren't going to do that. I am sorry to say it but I think the dealerships (of all kinds) are out to pad the bill. I also have experienced mechanics leaving things disconnected etc which just isn't fun to discover later.

I have been successfully servicing my families cars for years now and do a good job for real cheap and I also don't have a habit of creating other problems. Now that both my wife and I are unemployed here money also counts here.

If anybody has a dealership fix this problem, please post the dealership name, and the name and cost of the service there. I will do the same.
IT would be nice to figure out the SECRET setup procedure but perhaps that is too much to ask?
Old 18 Aug 2009, 02:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ron;

My experience, my wife & I have owned 4 PT's, an 02 Limited, (mine), and 03 Touring, (hers), an 04 GT, (my 2nd pt) and an 07 PCH street Cruiser, (my wife's 2nd).

I have swapped out Chrysler radios in ALL of these cars, and my present car, an 06 Dodge Charger. THERE IS NO SECRET SETUP! None, zip, nada, ect, ect......

Leaving the battery disconnected from the car has NO effect on the radio/cd player, when power is put back on, the radio/cd player should work. I've stored the radios I took out of the above cars, left them for years, and re-installed them for trade-in of the car, they work like the day I first got the car.

To install any of these Chrysler radios all you do connect the wiring harness and the antenna--that's it. Well, unless you have a Sirius setup, then you have to plug in that plug too. Oh, and the RB-1 Chrysler Navigation unit, you need to plug in that antenna too.

I don't know why the cd player doesn't work, it might be a simple jam that occurred coincidently at the same time you changed out the battery. If you give up on the 6 cd head unit, ebay is where you can find a replacement, at a pretty good price. Dealer replacement cost is beyond redicules.

Chrysler identifies it's radio/head units with 3-letters on display face. Your unit might be an RBQ?

I hope I cleared up so confusion, good luck;
srg
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talked to another Chrysler Dealership service rep and he said the the radio needed to be reintroduced to the 6-cd player by their STAR (mopar) diagnostic computer. He quoted my $60 over the phone. Going over there later today.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRon View Post
The following instructions will work for a 2001-2005.

The center bezel is easy, thanks to PT Cuda's instructions.

Center Bezel removal:
Trim stick in the window switch at the top, pull down and out, it will pop out the window switch. Disconnect the switch from the harness .

Behind where the window switch was, remove the screw that is top center.
Pull off all A/C knobs (2001 only all A/C control knobs must be straight up in order to come off, all other years it does not matter).
At this point the center bezel is ready to come out.
Just pull and work your way around the edges, it is held in by snap clips they can be a bit tight so once you get one out just work your way around so you don't bend the bezel.. But getting it started may require some force.
Remember the A/C vents are attached and will come with the bezel. Some are a part of the bezel, and will come out with the bezel. If they're not,
they are removed by just taking out the two or three screws holding them in place on the back.

Once the bezel is out, you can remove the stereo with four screws, then unplug the antenna, then unplug the two power connectors. The stereo pulls right out. I hope you are good with electronic assembly, you'll have to talk the radios covers off to get to the CD stack. If you're going to try to salvage the unit, don't try to remove the disc's from the stack until you know what you're doing. Putting it back together is slow, tedious, and easy to damage!
I'm taking in bad units, and trying to salvage parts for future use. If you determine it's not worth your time, and want to get rid of it, let me know. We'll put a price on it, and I'll pay for shipping. And, yes, I can and will take out any CD's and return them to you.

Good Luck
Ron
RetiredRon at earthlink.net
Thanks Ron. I also removed the 4 small gold screws to remove the radio face plate. (did that first to see if I could get into the cd player) Since that was impossible I then proceeded to remove the radio. NOTE: The antenna is the entire BLACK thing, not just the small wire going into the larger black plug. I used needle nose to gentle rock it out.
Once on my kitchen table I removed the 4 screws holding the 6 disc player to the frame. Pop it out, but you can leave the wire harness connected. There are six tiny black screws around the edges of the top of the player. (I had a towel on my table so no screws would roll off.) As you gently pop the cover off you may have to move the harness away from it's holder. With the cover removed, I had full access to all the discs. I was shocked to see a round gold washer like item sitting between each disk. These have to pried off to get the discs out. At this point my wife and knew the player would never work again. It helps to have 2 people to get the discs out because there are some spring loaded metal parts that need to be held back. My wife got her Christmas cds back and very happy they play. I put the 6 screws back on the cover and put everything back. Radio plays fine. Cd still makes some noise on start up but mode selector does not recognize it. If and when we sell, I will replace it. For now, I am my wifes hero!
John
jadmiral@tampabay.rr.com