Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No sound Help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2009, 04:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default No sound Help please.

High guys, Just installed some Infinity 6829CF 300W 2-Way Speakers they worked for about 10 mins all i did was turn it up 3/4 then total shut down i have power to the stereo just no sound ...

i new my stock radio would not handle it so i called crutchfiled they told me this stereo would handle it just right. NOT

could it be a fuse i could not find witch one to look at or pull in the manual or fuse box.

stereo : Dual's XHD6425 CD receiver

#
General features
# CD receiver with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
# plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
# HD Radio tuner built in, receives multicasting content (where available)
# detachable face
# remote control
#
Audio features
# 5 preset EQ settings
#
Expandability
# compatible with Dual Bluetooth adapter
# inputs: front-panel USB and auxiliary inputs (USB input not compatible with iPodŽ)
# outputs: two sets of preamp outputs
Old 16 Aug 2009, 01:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: No sound Help please.

Ok, first off, there's a common misconception involving the power handling (wattage) of speakers. Note that phrase: 'power handling'. The 300-watt rating that your speakers have does not mean that the speakers operate at 300-watts constantly. What that DOES mean (in general terms) is that your speakers can ACCEPT a maximum frequency of 300-watts FROM a source (your stereo). Your speakers don't affect your stereo, your stereo affects your speakers.. make sense? So when the Crutchfield tech told you that your stereo can 'handle' the speakers, he wasn't wrong-- he just didn't take the time to correct the misunderstanding.

Now, on to the speakers.. If you can access them easily, I would test them. Remove the speaker wire connectors from the speakers and use a 9-volt battery with two leads from positive to negative of the battery to the positive and negative of the speakers and see if you hear anything. (Don't worry, the battery won't harm your speakers whatsoever.) It should make a muffled sound when you move the wire leads around on the connectors, kinda like someone's rubbing your head with a pillow. If you do hear something, your speakers are fine. On the other hand, if you hear nothing, there's a very good chance your speakers are bad.

Secondly, I THINK you implied you're not using an aftermarket amp, but just in case-- are you using an amp? If you are, then there's another loop of troubleshooting for that situation.

Seeing as you have power to your headunit, I doubt it's a fuse. Sounds like it's either your speaker connections or the speakers themselves.

Old 16 Aug 2009, 02:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the info , am not using an external amp just whats in the stereo
i do have one am about to install a sub,

an update on my speakers angry at my self thinking i did somthing wrong i pulled out my stereo and did see a # 10 fuse in the back i pulled it out then back in same with all the wires

I did notice a reset push botton on the inside face plate i reset it pluged everything up hit power and my speakers came on!

i dont know what happen but they sound way better then when i first tryed it
i dont know if my stereo had to be reset do to the power diffrence i dont know but its working great right know

thanks for the help.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 02:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Good to hear.

Honestly, not too sure about the 'Reset' button solving your issues. Sounded like a connection problem to me. I would've isolated the issue by turning it on after re-seating all of your connections, and if the problem was fixed, you knew that's what it was. As for the magic 'Reset' button-- if that was what fixed it, you could just be covering up an underlying problem with the deck itself.

Anyway, that's just the realist in me, brainstorming. Glad everything's up and running for ya.

Old 17 Aug 2009, 05:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Well you were right it worked fine last night woke up this morning started the car and guess what yea no sound again... so i did the (magic button ) again and no it did not work ....

I left the unit on headed to town and about 5 mins of driving the speackers came on

went to work 10 hrs later i tryed it again and no sound ....

so yes theres a problem some were am gona say its not the radio it self it was working fine with the stock speakers

so am gona say its the new speakers , wireing problem? i used the cruchfield speaker wireing harness that came with them i did have to cut the ends to make it fit in the new speakers the other end fit just right to my stock wire

this is my first stereo project .. and i just got my new amp and sub in the mail hope i dont have more problems...