PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Unlocking door with key causes Alarm Activation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Unlocking door with key causes Alarm Activation

Over the last year, I have been experiencing an extremely odd issue. Whenever (all keys are affected) I unlock my driver side door with my key and open the door, the alarm goes off. If I use the FOB to unlock, no issues. It has gotten significantly worse...it started with every once in a while, now it's every time.

I understand there are two parts which could be the culprit. Something on the door itself (the lock cylinder mechanism?) and the RKEM device in the dash.

To be completely honest, I would rather not spend a dime to fix this.

I have attempted to pull a couple of fuses that I thought may rectify the issue, but the ones that do affect other things as well. Is there a fuse that I can pull or swap that will solve/bypass the issue?

I know (from taking apart the dash before) that the RKEM module has a wiring harness connected to it. I am no stranger to electronics, and if I either had a diagram or knew which wire(s) to cut, I would just cut them to disable part of or the entire alarm.

Does anyone have a suggestion on rectifying the issue?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Unlocking door with key causes Alarm Activation

My car does this also. I always thought it was the remote starter I have installed reacting with something. Guess it could be something else if you are having the same issue. I just always use my remote to unlock.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds02pt View Post
My car does this also. I always thought it was the remote starter I have installed reacting with something. Guess it could be something else if you are having the same issue. I just always use my remote to unlock.
I have a remote start as well. This started before I installed that, though.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not an 'issue'. Mine does it as well. I don't know of a way to change the behavior of the security system.

GT - FID 1200cc injectors, DS Trinity with CMR tune, 3" O2/catless downpipe, 3" DP-back exhaust, 3bar MAP/TIP. Still a work-in-progress with tons of parts left to swap.

Old 31 Mar 2010, 03:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Manually lock the doors when you exit the car as opposed to using the fob or main driver's side lock.

I got my car used and it didn't come with remotes and I wasn't ready to shell out $200 to get one, so I did a little research and found out that the alarm only arms if the doors are locked electronically via the fob or lock on the door.

Pushing the lock pins down by hand on each door will lock them without arming the system.
Old 04 May 2010, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I recently programmed a third key for my 2001 PT Cruiser. The second key lost its programme and I had to go through the programming sequence a second time. Since then, my alarm is always activated, regardless of key fob, manually locking the doors or using any of the 3 keys. The red light on the left gauge shows the alarm is activated, and the honking whenever I unlock the driver's door is causing ill feelings from my neighbours. Any idea how I can turn off the 'always activated' condition so that I can lock the doors with the fob and then disarm the alarm with the fob? (As of now, using the fob does not stop the alarm, I must put the key in the ignition.)
Old 12 May 2010, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_F View Post
Manually lock the doors when you exit the car as opposed to using the fob or main driver's side lock.

I got my car used and it didn't come with remotes and I wasn't ready to shell out $200 to get one, so I did a little research and found out that the alarm only arms if the doors are locked electronically via the fob or lock on the door.

Pushing the lock pins down by hand on each door will lock them without arming the system.
Doh! I've been using the driver's side master lock or having my passenger do it on their side in an attempt to foil the alarm. Double doh! All this new (to me) technology is working the old brain cells!
Old 13 May 2010, 09:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegn View Post
Doh! I've been using the driver's side master lock or having my passenger do it on their side in an attempt to foil the alarm. Double doh! All this new (to me) technology is working the old brain cells!
I wasn't born with that knowledge. I found it here just like you did

Glad I could help someone else out for a change!