PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stereo install help

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
Default stereo install help

Okay, so this isnt my first stereo install, but i do have a question, i have an 05 PT, and so i took the console cover off and started to unhook everything and then i noticed that the power cord was awkward to take out.. i finally got it out and started to install my aftermarket, then i noticed that the plugin into my my stock stereo power was either different or broken because they looked nothing like the one on my aftermarket.. so either when i finally got the power input cord out it broke off somehow so now im stick with it or something isnt right....


can i get a new end for the power input or am i just now stuck with the stock cd player?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:19 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Default Re: stereo install help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermoto2006 View Post
Okay, so this isnt my first stereo install, but i do have a question, i have an 05 PT, and so i took the console cover off and started to unhook everything and then i noticed that the power cord was awkward to take out.. i finally got it out and started to install my aftermarket, then i noticed that the plugin into my my stock stereo power was either different or broken because they looked nothing like the one on my aftermarket.. so either when i finally got the power input cord out it broke off somehow so now im stick with it or something isnt right....


can i get a new end for the power input or am i just now stuck with the stock cd player?
Mastermoto2006,

I think I understand what you are saying, please correct me if I am wrong. Your old stereo (Chrysler original) and your new stereo (aftermarket) WILL NOT have compatible cables. You will need to either (A) splice into your wires existing in your car, or (B) buy a harness and splice into the aftermarket stereo using the harness. Either option will require cutting, stripping, and connecting wires together.

Also, did you buy a mounting kit? If not, what size is your new stereo?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
Default Re: stereo install help

nah sorry im talking about the 8 gauge (i do believe) black cable

i have the wiring harness and everything all set to go and the dash install kit
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:23 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Default Re: stereo install help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermoto2006 View Post
nah sorry im talking about the 8 gauge (i do believe) black cable

i have the wiring harness and everything all set to go and the dash install kit
Okay...the black cable is the ground...cut it and attach it to the stereo harness.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
Default Re: stereo install help

before i actually do that i do wanna make sure we are talkin about the same one lol... this one plugs into the back of the stereo seperate from the harness.. its actually got a black grommet looking thin on the end and has a white connecter inside of it that is round and plugs into the other side of the cd player?

dont wanna cut something and then you not thinking of the same thing as me lol
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:36 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Default Re: stereo install help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermoto2006 View Post
before i actually do that i do wanna make sure we are talkin about the same one lol... this one plugs into the back of the stereo seperate from the harness.. its actually got a black grommet looking thin on the end and has a white connecter inside of it that is round and plugs into the other side of the cd player?

dont wanna cut something and then you not thinking of the same thing as me lol
Okay I have a 2001...I've done a number of installs on other cars so I should be able to help you here. On mine, that black cable had a black plastic "cap" at the end attached to metal, the ground. It is possible yours could be different. I looked up the wiring diagram, and it seems there is a ground in the harness. The radio on your car communicates with the CAN bus system, so that may be it. If it is attached to metal, it is definitely the ground.

Also, I am not sure if you are aware or not, but the accessory wire needed for most stereos doesn't exist on the Cruiser...you will need to tap somewhere else...I chose the power outlet above the cupholders on the floor.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
Default Re: stereo install help

the one im talkin about is the antenna wire lol.. i looked at a diagram on the bottom of my cd player and figured it out.. but the insert is different... i guess im not very good at explaining.. and now for some reason my fan on the passenger side is clicking
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:59 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Default Re: stereo install help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermoto2006 View Post
the one im talkin about is the antenna wire lol.. i looked at a diagram on the bottom of my cd player and figured it out.. but the insert is different... i guess im not very good at explaining.. and now for some reason my fan on the passenger side is clicking
Lol the antenna should either fit straight into the aftermarket stereo somewhere or you can either connect the wires with more wire or get an adapter for it. When you say the fan...do you mean the AC or speakers or inside the new stereo?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
Default Re: stereo install help

yeah the AC fan.. i am at the point i dont wanna mess with the cd player right now lol
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2010, 08:06 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Default Re: stereo install help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermoto2006 View Post
yeah the AC fan.. i am at the point i dont wanna mess with the cd player right now lol
Okay, I hope your CD player works alright, make sure it isn't on all of the time...if it is, you will need to connect that accessory somewhere else (like the power outlet near the cupholders) or use a switch.

If the passenger AC fan is clicking, my guess is that something is stuck in there. Is it possible that a little piece of wire could've gotten in there?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie!! Stereo Install Help Jamorn Sound and Security Forum 13 12 Mar 2012 06:16 pm
Pioneer Stereo Install jrw500 Sound and Security Forum 2 10 Apr 2010 08:37 pm
Trying to install new stereo BaBySMaMa19 Sound and Security Forum 3 23 Aug 2008 03:50 am
Stereo system install Dream Bruizer Sound and Security Forum 12 13 Nov 2004 11:10 pm
Stereo Install silver03 Exterior & Interior Styling 7 25 Mar 2004 05:40 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors