Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stereo install help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default stereo install help

Okay, so this isnt my first stereo install, but i do have a question, i have an 05 PT, and so i took the console cover off and started to unhook everything and then i noticed that the power cord was awkward to take out.. i finally got it out and started to install my aftermarket, then i noticed that the plugin into my my stock stereo power was either different or broken because they looked nothing like the one on my aftermarket.. so either when i finally got the power input cord out it broke off somehow so now im stick with it or something isnt right....

can i get a new end for the power input or am i just now stuck with the stock cd player?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: stereo install help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermoto2006 View Post
Okay, so this isnt my first stereo install, but i do have a question, i have an 05 PT, and so i took the console cover off and started to unhook everything and then i noticed that the power cord was awkward to take out.. i finally got it out and started to install my aftermarket, then i noticed that the plugin into my my stock stereo power was either different or broken because they looked nothing like the one on my aftermarket.. so either when i finally got the power input cord out it broke off somehow so now im stick with it or something isnt right....

can i get a new end for the power input or am i just now stuck with the stock cd player?
Mastermoto2006,

I think I understand what you are saying, please correct me if I am wrong. Your old stereo (Chrysler original) and your new stereo (aftermarket) WILL NOT have compatible cables. You will need to either (A) splice into your wires existing in your car, or (B) buy a harness and splice into the aftermarket stereo using the harness. Either option will require cutting, stripping, and connecting wires together.

Also, did you buy a mounting kit? If not, what size is your new stereo?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

nah sorry im talking about the 8 gauge (i do believe) black cable

i have the wiring harness and everything all set to go and the dash install kit
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
nah sorry im talking about the 8 gauge (i do believe) black cable

i have the wiring harness and everything all set to go and the dash install kit
Okay...the black cable is the ground...cut it and attach it to the stereo harness.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

before i actually do that i do wanna make sure we are talkin about the same one lol... this one plugs into the back of the stereo seperate from the harness.. its actually got a black grommet looking thin on the end and has a white connecter inside of it that is round and plugs into the other side of the cd player?

dont wanna cut something and then you not thinking of the same thing as me lol
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
before i actually do that i do wanna make sure we are talkin about the same one lol... this one plugs into the back of the stereo seperate from the harness.. its actually got a black grommet looking thin on the end and has a white connecter inside of it that is round and plugs into the other side of the cd player?

dont wanna cut something and then you not thinking of the same thing as me lol
Okay I have a 2001...I've done a number of installs on other cars so I should be able to help you here. On mine, that black cable had a black plastic "cap" at the end attached to metal, the ground. It is possible yours could be different. I looked up the wiring diagram, and it seems there is a ground in the harness. The radio on your car communicates with the CAN bus system, so that may be it. If it is attached to metal, it is definitely the ground.

Also, I am not sure if you are aware or not, but the accessory wire needed for most stereos doesn't exist on the Cruiser...you will need to tap somewhere else...I chose the power outlet above the cupholders on the floor.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the one im talkin about is the antenna wire lol.. i looked at a diagram on the bottom of my cd player and figured it out.. but the insert is different... i guess im not very good at explaining.. and now for some reason my fan on the passenger side is clicking
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
the one im talkin about is the antenna wire lol.. i looked at a diagram on the bottom of my cd player and figured it out.. but the insert is different... i guess im not very good at explaining.. and now for some reason my fan on the passenger side is clicking
Lol the antenna should either fit straight into the aftermarket stereo somewhere or you can either connect the wires with more wire or get an adapter for it. When you say the fan...do you mean the AC or speakers or inside the new stereo?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah the AC fan.. i am at the point i dont wanna mess with the cd player right now lol
Old 27 Jun 2010, 08:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
yeah the AC fan.. i am at the point i dont wanna mess with the cd player right now lol
Okay, I hope your CD player works alright, make sure it isn't on all of the time...if it is, you will need to connect that accessory somewhere else (like the power outlet near the cupholders) or use a switch.

If the passenger AC fan is clicking, my guess is that something is stuck in there. Is it possible that a little piece of wire could've gotten in there?