PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Custom Speakers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2010, 09:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Custom Speakers

I know I seen someone's PT around here with custom tweeters, or speakers.. I seen plenty of cars having speakers in the pillar. here is an example

Basically, how would I go about doing this?

Last edited by YoungCruiserrr; 06 Jul 2010 at 09:01 pm.
Old 06 Jul 2010, 09:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Custom Speakers

Hey their YoungCruiserrr,

Whats shakin man? To do custom speakers in the A pillers takes fabbing up some custom speaker pods, then glassing the parts, sanding, body filler, more sanding, prime, paint or texture, and on and on. Since you have access to someone able to do the work its not as bad, but for others, its a pretty complex DIY job. Not impossible, but pretty involved process.

Let me know if you would like, and I can see if I can try to do a write up on the process.

Other than that, you go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 06 Jul 2010, 10:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Custom Speakers

I think I'm interested in the smaller tweeters, but would I need a whole new pillar, or just make cuts and fab it up?

Old 07 Jul 2010, 02:32 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Custom Speakers

Hey their YoungCruiserrr,

In your case, I would say more than likely to just go for fabbing them up. One of the easiest ways is to swing by a hardware store and pick up a small piece of PVC and carve out a small port to house your tweets, and then I would try out several positions to get the best staging that sounds right to your ears as if you were to mount them facing each other you will lose a bit of the sound quality. Once you get everything the way you want, then you can mold the PVC directly on to your A pillers and smooth them in.

Now for me, I like my tweets to come from somewhat of a center channel kind of like my home theater is set up which might be something to maybe kick around. They make these cool looking center gauge housings which are a universal fit and can be smoothed into the dash which I think kinda looks pretty cool. If you Google Gauge Pods, you can see all kinds of different designs that can easily be modified, or molded in for a cool custom look. I always thought it might look kinda cool as well if someone were to find a right side A pillar Gauge Pod, and then got the left one and did the same effect with mounting tweets and so on, but I have never seen a right side Pod for a PT even though you would think they would make them for Euro models, but who knows. Anyways here is a pic of a center dash pod to give you a better idea.

Or, I decided on mine to go stealth and mounted my tweets in black PVC mounts and put them inside the center AC ducts so you can hear the sound, still get air around them, but can't see where the sound is coming from.

And one last thing you could do that will give you even more sound quality without much modification, and be nice and hidden is to replace the back 6 x 8's with custom plates that still screw into the stock locations, but allow you the flexibility of mounting some much better Mids, and Tweets to vastly improve the sound while still being hidden behind the stock panel. I did mine similar to these, but I made a raised pod out of wood, and then made a good foam gasket so I could mount my Fosgate 6 x 8 Component's, and tweets into one piece. Here is an example of what I mean.

If you look to replace all of the stock location speakers in one shot, I would most definitely go with Component's both front and back which produce a much better sound quality over 2 or 3 ways, and components can be tuned via crossovers which come as a set with door or rear speakers, tweets, and crossovers all together which like I say, to me is sooo much better.

I wish you could here mine in person to really get the feel. I have my Fosgate Component's with Crossovers in the doors, tweets behind the center AC vents, 6 x 8's also with the tweets and crossovers in the back, custom digital EX to give you even more adjustment, and my two 12"s which I think all together gives a fairly decent sound quality as a whole in my PT.

As with your A Pillar's, PVC is the cheapest way to play with making a cool looking custom mount to mold in without having to cut anything up, or they also make universal fit A Pillar Gauge Pods as well which most likely wont fit the way its supposed to, so you will still have to cut and chop it to fit, but it already has a nice molded shape to it which can then just be incorporated into your stock pieces without having to go to all the trouble of doing the shaping and molding of the design yourself. Kinda sorta a short cut if you will. Then smooth and re-texture, or paint to match your way cool paint you already have going on anyway.

Just a few thoughts anyway. Good luck if you decide to go for it, and you already know I am gonna want some pics. Go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 10 Apr 2013 at 11:57 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2010, 02:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Custom Speakers

I got a pair of Boston Acoustic s65 in the doors and they normal ones in the dash, but I think I'm going to try and update a little bit with new speakers in dash or on pillar..