PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where to run amp power wire?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2010, 09:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Where to run amp power wire?

I have 2 runs of 1/0 to run. What route did ya'll take for your big wire? I haven't looked at it yet, but I'll take some tips n tricks before I start.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Where to run amp power wire?

Where are you trying to run the wires? From where to where?

If you need to go through the firewall, follow the cable that opens the hood. It goes through a black grommet and there's enough room to run a few wires through the same hole. In the picture below, it's the hole that has my blue cable from my AMP from inside the car to the engine compartment.

alex1378 and belkster74 like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 09:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

I need to run from the battery to the back hatch area to a couple amps. What size is the blue wire in your pic? The 1/0 is about the diameter of nickel, and I'll need two of them.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The blue wire is nowhere near the size you need. Two size of a nickel holes? Not sure where you'll find a place for that size. The hole that's not through the firewall under where my AMP wire is, is for a clutch pedal. You can probably use that space for one of those wires and maybe another hole right near that area.
belkster74 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I drilled a hole through the plastic piece that you see in the fire wall below where Crewzin ran his wire. You could fit one wire through there. The other may have to be ran around a seal, such as the one in the top right area of your engine compartment. Both of those holes will lead straight out under the dash by the steering column.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 06:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

0 gauge wire is to big to go inside and it will look ugly under the carpet unless you get the flat 0 gauge i use 4 gauge and it was ok 2 and it was a big problem so i pull it all out and run it under the car outside next to the chassis all in the left side all the way to the back then i drill to holes and run the power cable into the trunk and also run a 4 gauge ground from under the vehicle chasis

i will post pictures but i sold that car 3 weeks ago
good luck
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd
Old 12 Feb 2015, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyd View Post
0 gauge wire is to big to go inside and it will look ugly under the carpet unless you get the flat 0 gauge i use 4 gauge and it was OK 2 and it was a big problem so i pull it all out and run it under the car outside next to the chassis all in the left side all the way to the back then i drill to holes and run the power cable into the trunk and also run a 4 gauge ground from under the vehicle chassis

i will post pictures but i sold that car 3 weeks ago
good luck

Just my two cents here friend (hopefully I don't come off as a jerk, but), never EVER run power wire under the car like that, it's extremely dangerous, if something kicks up and takes off some of the rubber jacket around the wire, you will have bare power wire rubbing up against your chassis and can catch your car on fire. Any wire ran under the car like that is exposed to bumps, rain, snow, trash kicking up, rocks. It can destroy your car, and even kill you. I know that sounds like over reaction, but it's not, I've seen it happen more than once
belkster74 and kudah440 like this.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserOhioMike View Post
Just my two cents here friend (hopefully I don't come off as a jerk, but), never EVER run power wire under the car like that, it's extremely dangerous, if something kicks up and takes off some of the rubber jacket around the wire, you will have bare power wire rubbing up against your chassis and can catch your car on fire. Any wire ran under the car like that is exposed to bumps, rain, snow, trash kicking up, rocks. It can destroy your car, and even kill you. I know that sounds like over reaction, but it's not, I've seen it happen more than once
If you put a fuse in, ought not to be a problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you have a time machine, you can travel back to 2010 and let him know...

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 12 Feb 2015, 07:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

just helping the legend live on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Holy thread revival batman!