Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Aftermarket Radio Install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2010, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Aftermarket Radio Install

I installed a sub and a aftermarket radio, but after the install was complete, the radio wouldn't turn on. I rechecked every wire to make sure everything was good, and everything seemed fine. When I reinstalled my stock radio, it seems to still work perfect no problems.

StepByStep Process
I hooked the power for the sub to the + batt section, then ran it to the back of the car. I then took out the old radio and installed the new one and ran the Bluewire (System Remote Control) along with the L and R cabbles to the back also. I then installed all the wires to the amp, and then gave it a test run, which failed due to the headunit not turning on.

Any ideas?

All this was done in a 2007 PT Cruiser (probably the most basic model they made, no GT or SE)
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Aftermarket Radio Install

Sounds like the radio is not grounded. Does any lights come on it at all?
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

In 2007 (maybe 2006) Chrysler started using the CANbus system to turn on systems in the car. There is no "hot with key on" wire for the radio...cheapest way to get aftermarket to work is to connect this wire to the power outlet circuit. A CANbus adapter will run anywhere from $20.00 to $100.00.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, I thinking it might have something to do with one of the systems too. I read that some wire harness dont work with the "delayed turn off feature". I mean when you turn off the car and the radio still runs, even with the key out.

What all does this canbus system do.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

From What I understand it uses a computer to tell the radio when to turn off and on...as well as other functions. It replaces most things that were mechical in nature with digital controls.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmm, you wouldnt happen to have a site where i could look at one. Maybe a reffrence on where to get one, or what one to get, I'm just looking for something basic to turn the radio on with. I also noticed my wire harness came with one adapter, but the stock radio had two adapters plugged into it. I read somewhere that the second adapter is used for digital things, or something.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 11:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

this is what you need...METRA XSVI-6502 Allows installation of an aftermarket radio using the existing factory wiring and connectors The XSVI series interface is an inexpensive solution that provides +12-volt accessory power output for select vehicles that data control sign . You can probably find it cheaper if you look around. The second smaller connector is for the optional Sirius radio.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 04:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Crazy you posted that website, the store is only a 20 min drive from where I stay in houston. If anyone has a better or cheaper source, please share. Thanks!
Old 18 Aug 2010, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I went by that store today and picked up the wire harness. After getting everything all hooked up to the new harness i gave it a test run and sure enough everything works perfect now. I hope this helps others in the future and thanks a lot for all the info on CANBUS systems.