PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
radios interchangable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2010, 05:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default radios interchangable?

Hi,
I did a search but couldn't find anything. Will a radio from an 06 and up cruiser fit in an 04 and if not why?

thanks!

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 23 Sep 2010, 06:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: radios interchangable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintzgirl View Post
Hi,
I did a search but couldn't find anything. Will a radio from an 06 and up cruiser fit in an 04 and if not why?

thanks!
As long as the harness coming from the dash opening on both models are the same, don't see why not.

I've got the stock radio from my 03 PT GT that I don't use at all, just sits in the closet.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

They completely changed the dash design in 2006...the mounting brackets are different from that year forward.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 12:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Its always possible but im 99% sure that its not, it would be easier to just get an aftermarket one. With the right install kit it looks very good.
But the stero in the 06 and up is larger. It might come close but the knobs on the side of the 06 stick out and require dash cutting.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 05:56 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: radios interchangable?

Hey their chintzgirl,

The 01 - 04 will fit no problem but the 06 I am afraid would require major cutting up of the older center bezel and will not only make a pretty good mess if you don't know how and where to cut, re-enforce, properly brace, fiberglass, prime and paint, and even then I believe their may be some additional clearance issues as well. I have seen many people try to attempt to put a Double DIN sized head unit into the older style center bezel which normally winds up in a big mess as well with the owner winding up trashing the part and replacing it once again.

Mine is cut to just about maximum I would go. It fits just barely with enough room for my single DIN Clarion with a Clarion Equalizer mounted directly under which was all mounted in a custom chassis, glassed, braced, primed, ad painted to match. I know you've seen mine before, but just for reference, this is about as far as I would safely recommend cutting into your center bezel and still hold some structural integrity. Much beyond that and once you start hitting bumps in the roar, unless you have heavily re-enforced the bezel to keep it from flexing, its going to twist, and flex to the point where its going to cause problems including catastrophic failure in which the part gives out and breaks due to ultimate structural failure of the part. Anyway, this is about as far as I would go comfortably and not have issues with Flex.

Wish I had better advice for ya but thats about it for the moment on this one. I do always appreciate your thinking outside the box though and hope you keep it up!

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Hi
Thanks for the feedback. I really didn't think it was possible what with Chrysler redesigning the dash and all. I was looking for the stock radio/cd/aux for my cruiser, I already have an aftermarket in my car. My son's been eyeing it and I thought if I could find a stock one on ebay or where ever with the aux I'd give him mine. All I can find so far is 06 and up with the aux.

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 24 Sep 2010, 06:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wont work, 06' up is canbus and radio is intergrated with the PCM.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 02:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: radios interchangable?

Hey chintzgirl,

I just caught this. It would fit, and can't beat the price! I would recon you might be able to work something on shipping up here. Should be next to nothing. Anywayz, here is the Link.

Freebie, stock radio

And then depending on if you needed help with putting it in and so on, I know I am a bit of a drive from you, but if you ever need me to lend a hand, I am always here.

You also might keep an eye out on EBAY or Craigslist for a Stock Head Unit. They usually have a few pop up on there pretty regular including ones like the one I used to have in mine which was a stock Unit with a 6 disk changer built in which was kinda nice. Too bad I sold it or you could have had that one. Just remember, 01 - 04 will fit no problem.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 25 Sep 2010, 03:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Craigslist in my area always seems to have quite a few for sale at any given time
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.