PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Auxiliary plug in jack loose/broken? in car radio..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2010, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Auxiliary plug in jack loose/broken? in car radio..

Hello I am new here..

I have a 2006 pt cruiser that I purchased six months ago and today when I was playing my ipod in the car I accidently ripped the aux cable out of the port and it kind of snatched out at an angle. Now the port seems loose, the cable doesn't stay in/easy to pull out and the sound is distorted and I have to wiggle the cable to keep it from doing so...I have looked all over the internet and I haven't found anyone who has had this type of problem...I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible that the aux port in the radio could be fixed and what I might have done to it exactly? I really hate that I did this because I love listening to my ipod in my car and so happy that it had an aux port and now it seems I've ruined it and I am scared it won't be able to be fixed without getting a new radio, which I know I won't have money for...Thanks for any help.
Old 05 Oct 2010, 06:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Auxiliary plug in jack loose/broken? in car radio..

Dont remember where i saw it, but someone else had this problem. Their solution was to remove radio and open it up. Then went to radio shack buying a 1/8" stereo cable to solder it inside the radio.

This works and since the new jack is wired, it cant break again.
Old 05 Oct 2010, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

BTW. Heres someone selling a radio cheap:
FS: 08 OEM Parts
Old 05 Oct 2010, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your help

I think I found that thread where you're talking about and I think the guy said that he's just getting a new car since the radio still didn't work out...my grandpa is going to open up my radio tomorrow, he just doesnt know who to fix it if it is broken..hopefully something will work out..thanks for that link to the person selling that radio. That is really cheap and I think I can afford that if my radio does end up needing to be replaced...I just hope it wouldn't affect my satellite radio, my cruiser has a built in receiver for it.
Old 08 Oct 2010, 02:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Auxiliary plug in jack loose/broken? in car radio..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
BTW. Heres someone selling a radio cheap:
FS: 08 OEM Parts

Thanks, lol!
Old 21 Oct 2010, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Was able to find another stock radio (thanks to member 808 on here ) Got my aux port back and the satellite still works...Only problem I seem to be having now is that when I am listening to my satellite and I try to turn the tune knob back to go back channels, no matter where I am at it always wasn't to go back to the first channel...anyone know why that would be? I doesn't do that when Im on the fm/am radio.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 01:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I posted this answer before in another thread---
I have a 2006 base model ragtop and the aux. input broke when I accidentally bumped the plug that was sticking out of it. I took the stereo out (which was suprisingly easy) and removed the face plate and curcuit board (just unscrewed them) to reveal the back of the input plug. I proceeded to unsolder and remove the input plug and solder a wired 3.5mm male plug. you have to feed the wire in to the faceplate hole first before soldering to the circuit board. I can give you the correct TRS locations if you need them. I put a knot in the wire before soldering and adjusted it so that when the faceplate was reinstalled the knot would protect the delicate newly soldered wire from being pulled out through the front. The wire hangs there out the front which kinda sucks but I pluggwd my MP3 player in and mounted it to the dash with some velcro and it's working fine. It's good for now until I can afford to replace the stereo. The input plug is made very badly and breaks so easily. I would have just replaced the plug but I couldn't find one like it. Hope this helps.