Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
speakers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2010, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default speakers

Sorry i'm new to this forum, I did some searching but didn't really find what I was looking for. I'm looking to replace my speakers in my PT cruiser 2001. I was wondering how much it would be to have speakers installed, if I had someone do it for me. Or an external option would be easier for me. I was looking to spend about 200$ i'm not looking for amazing speakers.

thanks in advance - Tyler
Old 06 Oct 2010, 10:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: speakers

To install 4 alone would probably come close to 150$. Do it yourself, theres more than enough resources here to get it done. And we would be glad to help you along the way.
There are many ways to go for aftermarket speakers, but the stock really arent terribly bad at all. IF you choose to get a subwoofer. I recommend a bazooka self-amplified . Their cheap, sound really good. And dont take a lot of space.
But back to the speakers. If you dont want to order online, you can get them just about anywhere. Just stay away from car toys. Those guys are crooks
The front doors have 6 1/2 " speakers and the rear are 6x9"
What a lot of people will do, is put the sub in the rear, and turn the rear speakers off and just have the front ones and the sub working. Which sounds really good
But if you want to spend 200$ i would get a bazooka. Youll like the sound system much better than if you simply bought 4 new speakers. I promise you
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 06 Oct 2010, 10:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok thanks how hard is it to do it myself?

I was looking and I was thinking of getting one of these

Bazooka ELB110RS Ported enclosure with one 10" EL Series subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

or

Bazooka MGA465 4-channel car amplifier — 64 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

How would I go about installing it or do you have any other suggestions?
Old 06 Oct 2010, 11:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Try this. Bazooka BTA6100 Car subwoofer - 100 Watt
It has the amp built in, so thats all you need to buy.
Subs are kind of a pain to install. Not too hard if youve done it before, just time consuming.
Speakers on the other hand are no problem.
For the sub, youll need to run a power wire to a power source ie: battery, you need to wire it to the back of your stereo, and youll need to run a ground. And all of those need to be run back to the rear under the panels. Kind of a pain
I think places usually charge around 70$ to install a sub
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 07 Oct 2010, 12:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is a possibility how hard do you think they would e to install?
Old 07 Oct 2010, 12:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The speakers or the sub? For the sub, i already had everything ready, because i took it out of a previous car. But to run the wires and everything took about 20-30 minutes. But ive done it many times. There are instructions to get it done. And theres plenty of people here that will be able to answer any question youll have.
But its going to save you mucho $$$ and then youll know how to do it for the future.
the hardest part is trying to get all the wires under the panels, But thats not technical stuff, just cosmetic that a monkey could do.
Old 07 Oct 2010, 12:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok thanks I will probably go with the speakers so I can install them myself have you seen any tutorials on that? i know basically nothing haha thanks for all your help
Old 07 Oct 2010, 12:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Not a problem. Taking 5 minutes to help someone is a well spent 5 minutes.
But the door speakers are definetly harder than the rear. I personally haven't seen an instillation video specificlly for a pt cruiser. But definetly start with the rear. I'm not on my computer currently, but tomorrow I'll be able to show you scenatics of how it goes together, and from there you will be able to get them out. Unless you find them somewhere before then, or someone else posts
Old 07 Oct 2010, 04:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Therse the link to a how-to.
You will need these tools though

Speakers removal HOW TO
Old 10 Oct 2010, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

For me the doors were easier... taking of the panels is relatively easy. My pillar speakers were more difficult because there is a tough glue type seal that they use to hold the speakers into the frame of the car, so once you remove the screws you'll need to pry to get them to pop out. Then my speakers specifically were difficult to install because the screw holes were below the plastic pillar panel. So getting a screw driver in there was just short of impossible.

This is all dependent on the speakers. Also, I recommend looking up the wiring color codes prior to beginning this process, they aren't red and black.

Tags
speakers