Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mopar 8" compatibility question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2010, 09:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Mopar 8" compatibility question.

I have the Mopar 8" sub hooked up to the stock hu in my pt.

If memory serves me right it just had a female plug for the vehicle end and a male end that plugs into the stereo. Would the sub work if I just plugged it into wiring harness for the aftermarket hu?

I don't want to blow the amp.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 02 Nov 2010, 01:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar 8" compatibility question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GTCruiser View Post
I have the Mopar 8" sub hooked up to the stock hu in my pt.

If memory serves me right it just had a female plug for the vehicle end and a male end that plugs into the stereo. Would the sub work if I just plugged it into wiring harness for the aftermarket hu?

I don't want to blow the amp.
I've never liked factory sound-anything but I'd expect them to be no different than alot of aftermarket products out there (in terms of connectivity/etc).

The Mopar sub is either self amplified or has an external amplifier somewhere in the vehicle correct?

Connecting an aftermarket HU will in no way blow out your subwoofer/amp. An aftermarket HU (or ANY HU for that matter) only sends a signal (not actual power) to the amplifier driving the subwoofer. Only thing you'd really need is a set of RCA inputs coming from your sub's amp to plug it into the HU's preamp output.

Again, don't know anything about the factory sub but does it have it's own crossover on the amp? If not, you can easily take care of that utilizing your HU's sub-out settings to better blend in your sub with your speakers.

Need any help, let me know. This stuff is way too easy for me
Old 02 Nov 2010, 05:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks. It is actually wired through the speaker wires. The sub has a 80watt digital amp built into the box.

When I got it it was wired for my raz stock radio so I just had to plug the factory harness into the female plug on the subs wiring harness and the male part into the radio and run 1 "remote" wire to an accessory source. There is no RCA input on the sub that I've seen.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 02 Nov 2010, 05:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Not the best pic, but here is a pic of a sub and amp before being put together.

227 HP and 281 TQ

Old 18 Jan 2011, 05:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just got one of these from e-bay myself, it is self contained and is plug 'n' play to the factory radio. However, after reading the detailed instructions..I'll be waiting for the warm weather to return..it's pretty involved..you need to take half the car apart to install it properly The "one" wire that was mentioned is a "turn-on" wire to wake up the amp. It's pretty much the same as any remote amp I've seen.