Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
horns got a cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2010, 02:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Default horns got a cold

okay, i noticed today my horn sounds like it lost its voice, instead of the veary loud beep, im getting a small squeek, this is after i installed my new radio i think, might have bin before, im not realy shure, anyone have any ideas?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 06:18 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: horns got a cold

Hey their urimashe,

Yeah, something doesn't sound right for sure. My first guess would be to go back over and try to retrace your steps you took during your install and see if you might have crossed a wire somewhere somehow, and go from there. You also might try pulling your battery cable for 5 minutes and resetting your electrical system as well just to see on the off chance one of the relays might have got tripped or something during your install. Doubt it, but you never know. If you disconnect the battery for anything, or wind up losing or having incorrect voltage to some relays, it can make things act a bit off from time to time. Its not all that uncommon.

Might be worth a try anyway. Past that if you still may have concerns that their may still be an electrical issue somewhere in the system that you might have accidentely triggered somehow, you could go in and have someone hook it up to an onboard computer and do an Electrical Annalisys for somewhere around $100.00 or so and they should be able to tell you fairly definitively where any and all issues are within a few minutes on their scanner.

That is at least a start in the right direction, and you can go from there.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: horns got a cold

well, thats the thing, all we did was connect the harness, and attach a wire to the cigaret lighter for the accesory power, we didnt touch anything else, i did however remove the knee bolster to look and see if there was a way to get to the power outlet with out pullint it out from the front, but i didnt touch any wires.

the only thing i can think of what might make more sense on what might be wrong is that it was gusting that day up to 50 or 60 mph, blowing snow around like no tomarrow, im thinking perhaps all the driving may have swept snow in to the horn or somthing of the sort, there was alot of flying powder that day from the cold dry wind we had.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your horn has not been moved, then it's in the fender well on the passenger side behind the splash guard in front of the tire. They usually hang with the trumpet facing forwards rather than down which is how they should be so snow/water/debris runs out of it. However, unless you've run up on a pile of snow, it's pretty hard to get anything in that horn based on where it's installed.

One thing to note on the PT's, <'06 models have problems inherent with the horn rings on the steering wheel. There are formal consumer complaints listed with NHTSA about this.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 12:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

what is the horn issue on the <06 models?
I had once that the horn did not work, then it worked again, and once (I have 2 horn sounds, a high and a low one that supposed to horn simultaneously) that only one of the two worked.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Clockspring failure, in your steering wheel. Seems to happen more often than it should.

See this from the parts catalog:

Last edited by Chromenut; 17 Dec 2010 at 02:40 pm.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: horns got a cold

I had two 2006 PTs,; neither had horn ring problems at the steering wheel.
But, one did have the horn die after 3 years.
Dead - done!
Easy to replace.
The OEM horn is typically the "Low tone".
I added the second as "high tone", just to give it a full sound.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 18 Dec 2010, 12:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't seem to be a problem with '06 and up, just prior.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

We had a 2006 and the horn button had to be pushed in a certain spot for the horn to blow, kept taking it back to the dealer and they replace different things each time, finally resolved it by replacing the whole complete steering wheel .

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Dec 2010, 09:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

So there's no quick fix on this huh? :/