PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
power wire

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2010, 04:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default power wire

i need to run a power wire for a new led grille light. like the knight rider light. on the drive side of the car there is a black rubber holder with wires going through. where does that lead out of so i can run my wires without being seen. if you can send pics and ill get some pics when im done.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: power wire

Black rubber holder with wires going through? Think you have something that the previous owner put in. Doesn't sound like something the rest of us have unless you mean the PDC (Power Distribution Center) or fuse/relay box but that really doesn't have wires running through it.

It's easy enough to run wires around the engine compartment so they can't be seen or you can use wire wrap in different colors (or black) to make it look like the wires belong there.

For the Knight Rider light, just run a hot to the lights from the PDC and a ground to the inside of the car and switch. When the switch is thrown, the light will be grounded and you then have power to the light.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 10:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

its factory but i dont know what it is called. its on the left hand side right near the top.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: power wire

Pictures????

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 20 Dec 2010, 04:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe this will help

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 05:04 am
Senior Cruiser

If you're talking about running the wires for the switch to the inside of there car, there is a rubber grommet on the driver's side of the firewall, right next to the computer. It's tucked into the corner. Yes, you can use this to run a wire through. You can access it underneath the dash from the inside of the car. It's sorta difficult to contort yourself to reach up behind the dash, but it can be done, and it's probably your best way to run wires from the engine compartment to the interior of the car.

Old 20 Dec 2010, 05:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your right Chris. He was talking about inside the car going out and I was thinking he was talking about someplace/thing in the engine compartment.

The rubber gourmet for the cable that unlatches the hood. All kinds of wires can be put through there.

alex1378 likes this.

Old 20 Dec 2010, 06:10 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm still unsure if he's talking about going inside the car, or if he's looking for a way to wire up the LEDs to the grille..

There's actually another rubber grommet that's further up on the firewall that's a bit bigger that I used to route my vacuum line for my boost gauge. I was worried about fitting it through that small hole and pinching it.

Old 20 Dec 2010, 06:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually, that rubber space below my blue AMP wire can be used because it's for a clutch which most of don't have. A hole can be drilled as large as needed so anything can be passed from cabin to engine bay or reverse.

Old 20 Dec 2010, 01:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

what im talking about is the gromet that chris showed in his pic. i was wondering where that comes out at.