Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
amp wont stay on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2011, 01:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default amp wont stay on

i have had an amp since i got the car. my amp wont stay on when the bass kicks into something hard. i get a little bumb and then it shuts off and comes back on. i checked my wires and its not the remote wire. im gonna go through and try to clamp down all the connector again. what do you think it could be and any suggestions on a good ground spot. i have my ground the a bolt under the panel in the trunk where there is the spare tire bolt, under that panel. where would be a good ground. i dont wanna cut through my floor or anything
Old 13 Jan 2011, 01:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: amp wont stay on

and has any one done the big 3 upgrade to there car? i am thinking about doing it but i dont know if its a good idea. when my bass hit the headlights would bounce. i have a 1 farad capacitor and it didnt do much.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

What's your cap read when the bass hits? Also, is the amp actually turning off or is it going into protect mode? Need some more info before we can diagnose.

Old 13 Jan 2011, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doubt a grounding fault. Isn't your amp controlled by your head unit??? Or is it just free-running?
Old 14 Jan 2011, 01:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

it was reading around 14.1 on the cap and the cap is hooked up to the battery so its free running. i took out the cap today and it seems like its working fine. the bass work and the amp stays on. what do you guys think yet
Old 14 Jan 2011, 04:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt41 View Post
i have had an amp since i got the car. my amp wont stay on when the bass kicks into something hard. i get a little bumb and then it shuts off and comes back on. i checked my wires and its not the remote wire. im gonna go through and try to clamp down all the connector again. what do you think it could be and any suggestions on a good ground spot. i have my ground the a bolt under the panel in the trunk where there is the spare tire bolt, under that panel. where would be a good ground. i dont wanna cut through my floor or anything
Bhunt41,

Hope I can be of some assistance here. A bad ground will cause the issue you speak of with the amp. I have done many stereo and subwoofer installs and that is a very common issue. Keep in mind that you cannot ground painted or coated metal, and you should sand the metal before grounding, and attach the ground wire with metal (i.e. a screw). Did you charge your capacitor before using it?

As to the other question, I have done the Big 3 with 1/0 gauge wire. You can install the wire without removing the alternator, but be careful, as the stud on the alternator can break. The stock battery terminals that come with our cars are junk, you should replace those too while you are at it.

Last edited by paulrosenthal; 14 Jan 2011 at 04:25 pm.