Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stereo installation for a noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2011, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Stereo installation for a noob

Hey ya'll. New member to the PT Cruiser Forum family. I just acquired a 2005 base model PT Cruiser (non turbo, no GT).

The only gripe I have thus far is that this car has a factory cassette deck in it. Why, in this day and age, I have no idea. So, I want to replace it.

I've read extensively on here how to remove the center bezel to get out the factory stereo. My problem is with the logistics of getting my old aftermarket CD player from my old car into the Cruiser. I cannot remember what KIND of stereo it is, or if it even matters.

I have found MANY dash mount kits that say they will fit a PT cruiser, yet I do not know which to trust, as I have also read on here that many do not. I was also wondering what kind of wiring harness I should get to match up with it.

Though I have replaced stereos a couple of times before, I'm not an electrician by any means. So any plain English responses to this job would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 04:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Stereo installation for a noob

The first thing to check on the kits is which years it says it is for 2001-2005 are the same, but 2006 and up are different, so to make it clear you want the kit that says it is for the 2001-2005 model years.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 11:11 am
Young Cruiser

Well removing the stereo from your other car should be pretty straight forward. MOST aftermarket head units have some metal "tools" that slid in beside the head unit on each side to UNLOCK it so it will slide out. If you ahd it installed at a shop they nomraly dont give you these "tools" back. So first thing, lookin your old box (if you have it) for these. Normally they are about 4 -5 inchs long and "L" shaped. Again MOST head unsit have a bezel around them. Carefull see if you can snap that off (think frame around a picture, its just he trim). Once thats off you shoul dbe able to slide the tools in beside the head unit on each side ( there should be small spots they slid in). They will push in and "lock", then you should be able to pull the head unit out by pulling back on the tools. Once its slid out you have to unplug the connection on the back of the radio (wire harness and antenna). Once that is done the head unit is lose and you can work on the mounting stuff.

Alot of ti depends on the brand stereo you have, it should say on the front of it someplace. The when you find out, go to youtube, somebody else has put one in and wants to show you how (not always, but alot of the time).

Hope that hleps a little
Old 22 Jan 2011, 06:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

I've done this many time's my self. this sh*t come's natural to me. but as for the wiring harness azphotog was right, and as for uninstalling the aftermarket radio from the other car, clok1966 was right about that too. the radio should slide right out of the metal sleeve. but all after market radio's have the wire diagram somewhere on the unit. most likely it'll be on the top of the unit. as for the wire harness just get the one that's for 01-05 like stated above. the radio wire harness unplugs from the unit itself. so just match up the wires to the wires on the wire harness. sorry if that got confusing. radio wires + wire harness = the radio working properly. there's some radios out there that have the ground wire connecting to the wire harness and there's others that dont. whatever the case is for me, i cut the ground wire and use the nut on the back of the aftermarket radio and screw the ground wire down on it. i wish i had pictures to show you what i mean but i'll see if i can find any examples. i hope this helps.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 07:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

this is a good picture to help explain what i was talking about. you don't necessarily have to avid by what said on the pic cuz this is for a bmw or something like that.

see the thing that's at the bottom left hand corner is the wire harness. the thing on the bottom right hand corner is the wire harness that plugs into the radio. you connect these two things together. plug the radio harness back into the the radio and then the end of the other harness plugs into the car. you understand, cuz i don't, and i wrote the damn thing. lol if you want me to explain a lil better just let me know.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice guys. I went to Walmart and was able to acquire a Scosche CJ2087 mounting kit, a Scosche wiring harness, and the Scosche universal antenna adapter (i saw on here that it's needed for the 01-05's..)

Once it gets warmer and I can do it comfortably, I should be able to put the new radio in!

I think my original post wasn't phrased correctly. I see alot of people have issues when connecting the wiring harness. I've seen on here that people have wires that don't match up, and losing other features (most notably the dimmer? the orange wire) by connecting them incorrectly.

I guess once my father and I get to work we'll be able to address those issues as they come. If we have any more problems, I'll be sure to post!

thanks again everyone. love this site for all the help you all offer to fellow cruisers.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 09:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

yeah sometimes all you can do is trial and error. see what works and what doesn't.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 03:57 am
Regular Cruiser

The people who have had problems have had a "premium" systen with an external amp. These need adapters to convert the RCA outputs to a signal that the amp can use. The adapter also provides the signal to turn the amp on. Since it came with a cassette, it probably does not have an external amp. If there is no amp you just connect the stereo to the Scosce wire harness and it should work.

Don
Old 29 Jan 2011, 12:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Finally did the install. Wiring harness and antenna adapter worked beautifully. The dash kit fit for the radio, but had no bracket to support the radio once in the dash. We jerry-rigged the stereo so it'll work for the time being, but I'd like to replace this kit in the future with one that includes a bracket to support the sides.

Can anyone recommend a good dash kit with bracket to support the radio? I've been looking at the Metra 99-6505 Chry/Dodge/Jeep98-Up with Pocket dash kit on Amazon.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 05:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

the after market stereo is what usually comes with the bracket that you need. you might want to check with the manufacturer to see if you can get a replacement or see if you can find it some where else. usually all aftermarket stereo's are the same size so you may be able to find a universal one. idk, it's up to you.