PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
electrical demons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2011, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to blackbosoPT
Default electrical demons?

ok guys I've got a 2001 pt. Installed a new aftermarket Head unit,sub,amp. have sub and amp disconnected currently(started having issue with battery as soon as I installed). I've installed hundreds of stereos,subs,amps in my day. Now the battery died right away(suspect me having stereo on with out car on) so i replaced battery. wife takes the car last night...calls me says its acting funny...

1. upon start up it revs to around 2.5-3k rpm sits for a few seconds then drops to normal

2. Dome lights come on with headlights? Tried the switch...it will turn off the dome/map lights BUT only at the cost of turning off my dash lights too?

3.power locks and such all still work. so confused?

any ideas at all where i should start? I'm thinking I didnt get the negative cable tight enough or something but would this cause this? or is there an underlying issue
Old 15 Feb 2011, 10:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: electrical demons?

For No#1, it sounds like your IAC needs cleaning or replacing. It's the Idle Air Controller, attached to the throttle body. It can be taken off pretty easy and cleaned or just replace the whole part.

For No#2, If the dome lights won't go off without turning off the dash lights, you mat have a problem with the multifunction switch. That last "click" on the turn switch is supposed to work the dome lights only. Do you have that "click" and if so, what happens when you use it?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

funny thing is I just went out to check this because last night unless I had everything in the off position(dash lights dimmer) the dome light/map lights would stay on....now it works as it should? check with headlights on/off checked switch many times...works fine now...haha

as for the IAC...that was my first suspect but wanted to see if it was related to the other electrical issues. I will pull it out and give it a thorough cleaning today.

Thank you very much
Old 16 Feb 2011, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

replaced the IAC and runs like a top. thank you very much. havent had the map/dome light issue again....
Old 16 Feb 2011, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great! good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.