Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to break into my PTC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2011, 05:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to break into my PTC?

I appreciate that this may seem a bit of an odd question to ask but today my Wife took her PTC to get petrol from a Sainsburys store and the central locking automatically locked with the keys and my 6 week old daughter in the car. Luckily I was at home and could take the spare key to her.

The store told us that they get a lot of problems with their Radio / WiFi network causing issues with peoples central locking which we have noticed in the past.

Does anyone have a method of breaking into Cruisers they would care to share (via PM obvioulsy ) as i'd like to arm my wife with the knowledge of how to get in the car if this happens again as she does a lot of driving with our newborn.

all help appreciated

mr_ed
Old 13 Mar 2011, 05:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: How to break into my PTC?

You could just get a hide-a-key. Even better if you have a car equipped with skim. You can have just a regular key cut (non skim) just to unlock doors but on the off chance that anyone else found it, they wouldn't be able to start the car and drive off with it.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 05:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

mr_ed,

Without breaking into your PT, there's a couple of things you can buy to Hide-A-Key on the undercarriage. A spare key in a magnetic box that attaches to any part of the metal underbody that only you and your wife know about. You'll have to get down on your hand and knees to retrieve it when needed but better than being stranded.

You can also have a key made without the fob, just to open the door. That way it's just a small flat key and you and her can carry an extra door-opening key in your wallet or purse.

Apparently Floundering types faster than i do.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 06:52 am
Young Cruiser

Removing key from ignition and putting it in your pocket is a good practice. More than once has a car with key in ignition been stolen as driver is inside convenience store or kiosk paying for gas and thief not noticing child in car till they already made off with the car.

Myself, I keep a set of house and car keys in each of my front pants pockets. If a set of keys ever got locked in car or house, no worries.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 08:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundering View Post
You could just get a hide-a-key. Even better if you have a car equipped with skim. You can have just a regular key cut (non skim) just to unlock doors but on the off chance that anyone else found it, they wouldn't be able to start the car and drive off with it.
Yes! to this and Crewzin's advise. I myself take my keys out of the car since I'm so afraid someone will hop in and drive off while my back is turned. I'm sure your wife must have been very upset, hope you made her a nice cup of tea when you got home

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 13 Mar 2011, 10:18 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintzgirl View Post
Yes! to this and Crewzin's advise. I myself take my keys out of the car since I'm so afraid someone will hop in and drive off while my back is turned. I'm sure your wife must have been very upset, hope you made her a nice cup of tea when you got home

OMG!!! "a nice cup of tea" was my dear old nannas solution for every ailment and unpleasant situation. what a lovely memory you just brought back- thanks chintz

Old 13 Mar 2011, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, how secure are these hide-a-keys? is there any risk of them falling of when driving over speed bumps?

In my Wife's defence I didn't fully explain earlier, she did not leave the keys in whilst away from the car in the shop, she came back from paying, unlocked the car and put the key in to silence the alarm as the remote wouldn't work then went round to the rear doors to check on the nipper and then the doors locked!

Its nice to know that the Store have explained why it happens and its not a fault with the car but it goes without saying we won't be taling her car there any more cenrtainly not with the little 'un on board!
Old 13 Mar 2011, 12:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

OMG!!! "a nice cup of tea" was my dear old nannas solution for every ailment and unpleasant situation. what a lovely memory you just brought back- thanks chintz

It's my Irishness Tea served in a beautiful chintz china cup of course

Karen and Lil' Nilla