PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radio antenna cable ran inside the car...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radio antenna cable ran inside the car...

I tried attaching one of those stubby antenna's and it looked cool and everything but I got terrible reception on fm stations. So I went back to the long black tall antenna and was wondering if there was a way to run the radio antenna inside the car and say have another piece of the pt act as the antenna and just attach the stubby antenna as a dummy?

Do you guys even think this is possible?

Well just wondering, thanks...
Old 21 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Radio antenna cable ran inside the car...

What's the 'stubby' antennae made of?

Another thing to consider is the headunit itself. You'd be surprised how much better of a tuner an aftermarket headunit will have built-in. If you want to drop some cash on a new HU simply to maintain good reception and use the short antennae for aesthetics then by all means go for it. Or keep your long antennae and stock radio (which I assume you have?).

Better than this guy -
Old 22 Mar 2011, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Serge/Wolfman, (posts deleted)

Both you guys! The owner is here for advise and doesn't need the kind you guys are giving. Nothing pertinent to add, read the post and move on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 07:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I know a couple of folks who have taken their antenna off the fender and mounted it inside the A pillar post off the windshield. Drilled through it a slot allowing the antenna to "snap in" and it's totally invisible and reception doesn't seem to have hardly changed. Me, I've got a stubby antenna and my reception isn't much worse than it was before, but I live out on a lake where the reception sux anyway.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 08:23 am
Banned

You will need a "real" antenna to get the resulting reception that you would expect from a real antenna. If you could use the body of the PT, or ANY car, to get adequate reception, the manufacturers would all be using it to save the money spent on every car they make. It would add up quick and they all would be doing it. I shaved my antenna when I shaved the door handles. I then installed an AutoLoc hidden antenna under the drivers side seat. It can also be installed just above the rear view mirror, between it and the leading edge of the headliner. It would be in the area that is "blacked out" at the top of the windshield from the factory. In that application, it is held in place by a strong double-stick tape. It works just fine. I don't notice any differance in reception between it and the oem antenna. It comes with complete, easy to do instructions for installation.

If you go this direction, I would simply remove the entire mast of the origional antenna and manufacture a "stub" in its place. This would make it appear that you have a powered antenna that was retracted. It would give you a cleaner look in my opinion. Of course you know what they say about opinions ---TLA, EGO

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 131 inside hidden antenna.jpg (57.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 130.4 stuff.jpg (57.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 001 me & the PT.jpg (90.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 22 Mar 2011, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Look up FM Reflect Antenna, it can be buried in your headliner, A-pillers, etc. It's the best antenna for FM reception, including receiving HD radio signals.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

On Neon OE Antenna's laying under dash cover.

Works great in the city, if outstate reception is markedly reduced.

You might recall one OEM did do away with antenna's per se, GM for years
used wire embedded in the windshield.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:51 am
Banned

Thats why AutoLoc recommends using the upper windshield position over the "under-seat" application for the install on their antennas. Personally, I wanted it hidden so I went with the "under-seat" application.

Jerry

Tags
antenna, cable, radio