PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tweeter Hissing - Driving Me CRAZY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2011, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Tweeter Hissing - Driving Me CRAZY

Hey Fellas,

I just got done installing all new Kicker KS series components and coaxials in the doors and dash. Powered by a Kicker Kx or KS series (cant remember right now) 4 channel amp that is 60w RMS for each channel. I have all power running down the left side and signal/remote wire running down the right. Both amps are grounded to the spare tire bolt on the back and power/signal cables are separated.

After hours of Edeading doors and installing the new speakers I have come to notice a hissing nouse and also some distortion on the tweeters and a lil bit on the other speakers. The tweeters are most notable though. I have the wires for that running across the dash and down behind the deck where they meet another wire that goes to the crossover. I have adjusted my amps gains crossover and NOTHING is getting rid of it. To my knowledge I have kept the signal and speaker wires away from anything carrying current. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing it? It's driving me absolutely crazy.

Also I am not getting any distortion or ground loop issues on my subs.

Thanks in advance for anyone that wants to help me
Old 28 Mar 2011, 11:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Tweeter Hissing - Driving Me CRAZY

sorry to hear about the trouble. I don't know too much about this kinda stuff but i can have Sergeant talk to you about it. i'll message him and tell him to take a look at this thread.
Welcome to the site. Im danny, my pt is eve and we say hello from San antonio. you might want to introduce yourself too.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 02:09 am
Senior Cruiser

You said you're running coaxials+components in the dash/door but I'm a bit confused about this.

A component will consist of a woofer and tweeter and utilize an external crossover whereas a coaxial speaker has both the tweeter/woofer on a single driver with a crappy inline capacitor as the crossover. Do you have both a separate tweeter+woofer (in your doors) and some type of 2-way coaxial on your dash? That's alot of speakers running up front alone!

It'd help if you can break down your installation, more specifically your coaxials/components and how they're wired exactly and to what. You don't want to combine alot of drivers on a single channel thus creating an unstable load on your amp. If your coaxials (or components or tweeter components) are hooked up to your headunit itself, I'd check to make sure a high-pass filter is enabled. This won't explain the hiss, but it can limit if not get rid of your distortion since I suspect low-notes are reaching said-speakers. Same goes for your components. If you have them running full-range and turn them up your mid-bass drivers will distort in an attempt to play low bass notes. Low-pass filter will remedy this.

As for the hissing, what is your source IE burned cd, ipod, mp3 player? If you're running a media player, how is it connected? If you're using one of those universal over-the-radio connections, throw it away! If you're using the 3.5mm headphone type cord as an AUX connection, this will account for some of your 'low quality' playback. Another thing to keep in mind is if you are indeed using a media player, since you are now running after-market speakers, you will hear more detail. This is a good and bad thing. Good because you've got some quality audio running. Bad because if you're an MP3 fan and such, your speakers are exposing those flaws because your MP3 or file is of low (non-lossless) quality.

One thing I like to touch on, and yes I know 'quality audio' is strictly subjective (I'm an audiophile of over 15+years), the stock dash speaker location is a HORRIBLE idea! Your hiss that you hear now is only emphasized due to the direct reflection of sound waves from your windshield. You've deadened your interior which is a huge plus, but you have to take into account speaker placement/location. You're running off-axis tweeters aimed directly away from you. This can cause listening fatigue, and again like I said, emphasizes those high notes....especially sibilance.

Last but not least, since you just got your speakers you need a good 200+hours on them to properly break-in. Please be kind to your speakers and keep the gain down and the volume even lower. If you start listening to your stereo at concert levels, you're guaranteed to blow your speakers out.

Sorry if I wasn't thorough enough, it's late as hell and I've been out all night. Got anymore questions, post away.

-Freddy

PS Welcome to the forum!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 03:09 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggalotusHeat View Post
Hey Fellas,

I just got done installing all new Kicker KS series components and coaxials in the doors and dash. Powered by a Kicker Kx or KS series (cant remember right now) 4 channel amp that is 60w RMS for each channel.
Like K9 I am little confused with the set up.

Are the components in the doors?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r-DS600.2.html

and 2 ways in the dash
3.5" fit
Kicker 08KS350 3-1/2" 2-way KS Series Speakers (08KS350)

--

The 3.5" are not going to help much. These are 20 RMS.

If you were going to put new speakers in the dash, I would have used 3" bullet horn tweeters that can handle 100 RMS or more..
Bullet horn tweeter | Sonic Electronix Search

- If you have an Equalizer, you can try to adjust the High End Treble frequencies down.

**** Adjusting EQ levels: I would drop higher range of the treble down

then slightly move the 10,000-20,000 range up; go little by little; until you can hear the SSSS noise. (hoping you have control over your Equalizer via a good head unit)

Drop it just below that until it's not as prominent.

Now decide; Can you live with it the way it is? If your answer is no; you need to make some changes.

--

Your component set specs say
"3-Level Tweeter attenuation circuit
4000Hz 12db crossover"

Question 0 Do both the left and the right both make the same exact sssssss noise; or is it just one speaker (side)?

Question 1 Where are your tweeters mounted on your door speakers.

Question 2. Do you have 3.5" 2 ways in your dash? If So, those are 20 RMS speakers, you are over powering them.

Question 3 Where is the DB set? on each set of tweeters?

Question 4 Can you try moving the tweeter? They are suppose to be close to your ears; but if they are making the SSS noise; many people move them out of the sound stage a little bit; so it's not as prominent.

Question 5 Are our cross overs wired correctly? If those speakers are 60 RMS each, so you want to make sure you have balance between the tweeter and the Mid Bass Driver.

Question 6 Are the cross overs wired at the same DB levels (are the left and right ones the same)

question 7 If those are 3.5" 2 ways in your dash, they are being over powered. They are only 20 RMS. Your amp is 60RMS. I have some ideas for you if this is the case.....

question 8. Do you still have your receipt, and where did buy from ?

Finally: Did you use the proper break in period. Speakers shouldn't be played at loud volumes out the box. K9 wrote something above about speaker break in time; so I won't repeat.

Sorry I was all over the place. I am not sure your exact set up; so I threw out a few different ideas....

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 29 Mar 2011 at 06:43 am.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 06:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

thanx for the quick responses guys. I know you two are the one's to come to when ever there's a problem with soundsystem stuff and i'm sure JuggalotusHeat appreciates it too. Good looking out guys.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
You said you're running coaxials+components in the dash/door but I'm a bit confused about this.

A component will consist of a woofer and tweeter and utilize an external crossover whereas a coaxial speaker has both the tweeter/woofer on a single driver with a crappy inline capacitor as the crossover. Do you have both a separate tweeter+woofer (in your doors) and some type of 2-way coaxial on your dash? That's alot of speakers running up front alone!

It'd help if you can break down your installation, more specifically your coaxials/components and how they're wired exactly and to what. You don't want to combine alot of drivers on a single channel thus creating an unstable load on your amp. If your coaxials (or components or tweeter components) are hooked up to your headunit itself, I'd check to make sure a high-pass filter is enabled. This won't explain the hiss, but it can limit if not get rid of your distortion since I suspect low-notes are reaching said-speakers. Same goes for your components. If you have them running full-range and turn them up your mid-bass drivers will distort in an attempt to play low bass notes. Low-pass filter will remedy this.

As for the hissing, what is your source IE burned cd, ipod, mp3 player? If you're running a media player, how is it connected? If you're using one of those universal over-the-radio connections, throw it away! If you're using the 3.5mm headphone type cord as an AUX connection, this will account for some of your 'low quality' playback. Another thing to keep in mind is if you are indeed using a media player, since you are now running after-market speakers, you will hear more detail. This is a good and bad thing. Good because you've got some quality audio running. Bad because if you're an MP3 fan and such, your speakers are exposing those flaws because your MP3 or file is of low (non-lossless) quality.

One thing I like to touch on, and yes I know 'quality audio' is strictly subjective (I'm an audiophile of over 15+years), the stock dash speaker location is a HORRIBLE idea! Your hiss that you hear now is only emphasized due to the direct reflection of sound waves from your windshield. You've deadened your interior which is a huge plus, but you have to take into account speaker placement/location. You're running off-axis tweeters aimed directly away from you. This can cause listening fatigue, and again like I said, emphasizes those high notes....especially sibilance.

Last but not least, since you just got your speakers you need a good 200+hours on them to properly break-in. Please be kind to your speakers and keep the gain down and the volume even lower. If you start listening to your stereo at concert levels, you're guaranteed to blow your speakers out.

Sorry if I wasn't thorough enough, it's late as hell and I've been out all night. Got anymore questions, post away.

-Freddy

PS Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the response!!! and Sorry for Not introdocuing myself. I'll handle that biz after my reponse :OP.

Setup:
Dash: Two Tweets running to X-over
Front Doors: Speakers running to the Same x-over as the tweets (Component Set)
Note: Each side is running on it's own channel and not utlizing the factory wire.

Back doors: Coaxial Speaks
Note: These ARE using the factory wiring but do not notice any noise coming from there.

RMS: All are rated at 60
Break-In Period: oops didn't even do that. Always hear it was a "myth" but it seems people have ideas which are polar opposite on the matter.

I will look into placing the tweets in another area or even run them strait off my amp either today or tomorrow to see if I still get the distortion and Hiss. As far as audio source goes, I'm running everything via BT from my phone to my deck. On the stock speakers it was no problem at all but like U said I'm going to pick up more "noise" in the music due to the frequency response on the speakers.

I can try some FLAC or OGG audio later and see if it makes any difference or even just a strait .wav

And don't trip you were extremely thorough. Wall of text usually makes me rage...but when it comes to assistance in matters as detailed as this it's DEFINITELY a good thing. Appreciate it! :O)

Thanks,
Collin
Old 29 Mar 2011, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Like K9 I am little confused with the set up.

Are the components in the doors?
Kicker 07DS600.2 (07ds6002) 07DS600.2 - 6-1/2" DS-Series 2-way

and 2 ways in the dash
3.5" fit
Kicker 08KS350 3-1/2" 2-way KS Series Speakers (08KS350)

--

The 3.5" are not going to help much. These are 20 RMS.

If you were going to put new speakers in the dash, I would have used 3" bullet horn tweeters that can handle 100 RMS or more..
Bullet horn tweeter | Sonic Electronix Search

- If you have an Equalizer, you can try to adjust the High End Treble frequencies down.

**** Adjusting EQ levels: I would drop higher range of the treble down

then slightly move the 10,000-20,000 range up; go little by little; until you can hear the SSSS noise. (hoping you have control over your Equalizer via a good head unit)

Drop it just below that until it's not as prominent.

Now decide; Can you live with it the way it is? If your answer is no; you need to make some changes.

--

Your component set specs say
"3-Level Tweeter attenuation circuit
4000Hz 12db crossover"

Question 0 Do both the left and the right both make the same exact sssssss noise; or is it just one speaker (side)?

A: Yes same noise on both front-side tweets and a lil bit on the doors. Can't notice it much though.

Question 1 Where are your tweeters mounted on your door speakers.

]A: Stock location where the OEM tweets were.

Question 2. Do you have 3.5" 2 ways in your dash? If So, those are 20 RMS speakers, you are over powering them.

A: Specs show they are rated at 60RMS

Question 3 Where is the DB set? on each set of tweeters?

A: Yes there is a 0 3 and 6 db set on the x-over. I have them set to 0 due to the amplification.

Question 4 Can you try moving the tweeter? They are suppose to be close to your ears; but if they are making the SSS noise; many people move them out of the sound stage a little bit; so it's not as prominent.

A: I am going to try this either tonite or tomorrow to see if I get the same issue.

Question 5 Are our cross overs wired correctly? If those speakers are 60 RMS each, so you want to make sure you have balance between the tweeter and the Mid Bass Driver.

A: I confirmed they are setup properly last night.

Question 6 Are the cross overs wired at the same DB levels (are the left and right ones the same)

A: Yup

question 7 If those are 3.5" 2 ways in your dash, they are being over powered. They are only 20 RMS. Your amp is 60RMS. I have some ideas for you if this is the case.....

A: I looked u pthe specs and it shows that the component set is total 120rms...Is that saying there is 120 for both left and right or 120rms for one side?

question 8. Do you still have your receipt, and where did buy from ?

A: ALWAYS keep receipts haha. Got em from Crutchfield.

Finally: Did you use the proper break in period. Speakers shouldn't be played at loud volumes out the box. K9 wrote something above about speaker break in time; so I won't repeat.

A: I failed on this aspect. Some folks say do it and some don't. I didn't do any break in :O)

Sorry I was all over the place. I am not sure your exact set up; so I threw out a few different ideas....

A: All good about being all over the place. I had a few brews up in my and alot of rage so I just kinda thru this together haphazardly lol. Thanks for the response!

Cheers

EDIT: I may be trippin but After I set the LPF on the deck to 78hz or 120hz it seems to sound a lil better. I know there is a filter on the amp as well but is setting em on both recommended?

Last edited by JuggalotusHeat; 29 Mar 2011 at 10:17 am.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 09:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanG View Post
sorry to hear about the trouble. I don't know too much about this kinda stuff but i can have Sergeant talk to you about it. i'll message him and tell him to take a look at this thread.
Welcome to the site. Im danny, my pt is eve and we say hello from San antonio. you might want to introduce yourself too.
Sorry for hoppin in here and not saying wutup and who I am.

Got an 06 PT and I'm out here in Souther Cali. Haven't named it yet cuz it's still much to plain lol.

And thanks for getting folks in here to help me!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Hey Fellas,

I just got done installing all new Kicker KS series components and coaxials in the doors and dash. Powered by a Kicker Kx or KS series (cant remember right now) 4 channel amp that is 60w RMS for each channel. I have all power running down the left side and signal/remote wire running down the right. Both amps are grounded to the spare tire bolt on the back and power/signal cables are separated.

After hours of Edeading doors and installing the new speakers I have come to notice a hissing nouse and also some distortion on the tweeters and a lil bit on the other speakers. The tweeters are most notable though. I have the wires for that running across the dash and down behind the deck where they meet another wire that goes to the crossover. I have adjusted my amps gains crossover and NOTHING is getting rid of it. To my knowledge I have kept the signal and speaker wires away from anything carrying current. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing it? It's driving me absolutely crazy.

Also I am not getting any distortion or ground loop issues on my subs.

Thanks in advance for anyone that wants to help me

Here is what I got in there right now:

20610ZX354 Kicker 10zx3504 60W x 4 Car Amplifier

206DS65 Kicker DS65 6.75" Coaxial Speakers

206DS652 Kicker DS65.2 6.75" Component Speakers
Old 29 Mar 2011, 04:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Here is what I got in there right now:

20610ZX354 Kicker 10zx3504 60W x 4 Car Amplifier

206DS65 Kicker DS65 6.75" Coaxial Speakers

206DS652 Kicker DS65.2 6.75" Component Speakers
This makes sense, I was under the impression that you had 3 1/2" coaxial drivers up in the dash.

Quote:
Thanks for the response!!! and Sorry for Not introdocuing myself. I'll handle that biz after my reponse :OP.

Setup:
Dash: Two Tweets running to X-over
Front Doors: Speakers running to the Same x-over as the tweets (Component Set)
Note: Each side is running on it's own channel and not utlizing the factory wire.

Nothing wrong here with the way you set it up. Just to double tap, these components run straight to the amp right?

Back doors: Coaxial Speaks
Note: These ARE using the factory wiring but do not notice any noise coming from there.

Factory wiring sucks which can starve your speakers since they won't see all the power you're sending them. Still, this won't account for any hiss. Then again you only mentioned hiss/distortion up front.

RMS: All are rated at 60
Break-In Period: oops didn't even do that. Always hear it was a "myth" but it seems people have ideas which are polar opposite on the matter.

Yep, break-in is true. The voice coil is very stiff at this point since it's new right out of the factory. Give it a good 150-200 hours to properly break-in and you'll notice things starting to sound better as you go. Not sure how often you commute each day but your break-in can last as long as 3-4 months.

I will look into placing the tweets in another area or even run them strait off my amp either today or tomorrow to see if I still get the distortion and Hiss. As far as audio source goes, I'm running everything via BT from my phone to my deck. On the stock speakers it was no problem at all but like U said I'm going to pick up more "noise" in the music due to the frequency response on the speakers.

Don't run your tweeters straight off your amp at all. Unless you have a high-pass filter at up to 3khz or higher, you'll likely blow your tweeter. Not at all from over/underpowering, but because you'll have lower frequencies making their way to the tweeter thus creating massive distortion and in the end...blowing itself out. As for your source, yeah....BT off your phone is a bad way to go in terms of quality. Sure it's convenient, but you might as well listen to that through your phones headset honestly.

I can try some FLAC or OGG audio later and see if it makes any difference or even just a strait .wav

Don't bother with wav, but yes do that. I like my FLAC

And don't trip you were extremely thorough. Wall of text usually makes me rage...but when it comes to assistance in matters as detailed as this it's DEFINITELY a good thing. Appreciate it! :O)

Thanks,
Collin

It was late, I was tired and I just wanted to go to sleep.

Tags
crazy, distortion, hiss, tweeter