PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Remote Problem - HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2011, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Remote Problem - HELP!!!

Hey All,

I have a major problem and I need to expertise of the P.T. Cruiser Forum!

I have a 2001 P.T. Cruiser and have had a major meltdown with my door remotes.

I had two key fob / remotes when I purchased my P.T. Cruiser used. One worked well, and the other looks like it has been run over by a fleet of semis and didn't work. However I did have one that worked, and planned to use it to reprogram a replacement.

I ordered the same model remote off of e-bay and was going to reprogram them when I had a disaster. I had them both out and was going to put new batteries into the replacement before programming it, when I accidently opened the ORIGINAL and switched out the batteries by mistake!!

I'll be polite to all and not repeat the language I used when I realized what I had done.

I tried my original and it does not work so I guess I lost my code.

So what options do I have now? Is there anyway to recover the code?

Do I have to go to the dealer ship? If so how badly can I expect to get screwed?

Thank You to all for your help!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Old 31 Mar 2011, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Remote Problem - HELP!!!

Try talking to a locksmith first!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 31 Mar 2011, 01:17 pm
Banned

Question Re: 2001 Remote Problem - HELP!!!

I think; If you bough a Car Alarm with Keyless Entry; that should work.

I am not an expert; but I put an alarm in my car; and my original key less became useless; and only the car alarm one opens the doors.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 06:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigger_hammer View Post
Hey All,

I have a major problem and I need to expertise of the P.T. Cruiser Forum!

I have a 2001 P.T. Cruiser and have had a major meltdown with my door remotes.

I had two key fob / remotes when I purchased my P.T. Cruiser used. One worked well, and the other looks like it has been run over by a fleet of semis and didn't work. However I did have one that worked, and planned to use it to reprogram a replacement.

I ordered the same model remote off of e-bay and was going to reprogram them when I had a disaster. I had them both out and was going to put new batteries into the replacement before programming it, when I accidently opened the ORIGINAL and switched out the batteries by mistake!!

I'll be polite to all and not repeat the language I used when I realized what I had done.

I tried my original and it does not work so I guess I lost my code.

So what options do I have now? Is there anyway to recover the code?

Do I have to go to the dealer ship? If so how badly can I expect to get screwed?

Thank You to all for your help!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Big-

Check your owners manual, if it is the stock factory remote, it will tell you how to reprogram it to your car. On my 03' it's on page 21.

Hope it helps.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My new (to me) used 2001 P.T. Cruiser didn't include any owners manual.

What I've read so far was that as long as you had one remote functioning, you could use it to "train" the others.

Now that the power has been disrupted and the remote has seemed to lose it's code, I don't know what to do.

Don't have the $$$ for a dealership at @$80 - $100 an hour.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is a lock smith not too far away. I'll see if they have any suggestions, and otherwise I may end up visiting the dealership to see how badly they will abuse my wallet to "fix" this problem.

I've tried google to find a on line version with no success yet. Any hint or links?
Old 04 Apr 2011, 02:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigger_hammer View Post
My new (to me) used 2001 P.T. Cruiser didn't include any owners manual.

What I've read so far was that as long as you had one remote functioning, you could use it to "train" the others.

Now that the power has been disrupted and the remote has seemed to lose it's code, I don't know what to do.

Don't have the $$$ for a dealership at @$80 - $100 an hour.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is a lock smith not too far away. I'll see if they have any suggestions, and otherwise I may end up visiting the dealership to see how badly they will abuse my wallet to "fix" this problem.

I've tried google to find a on line version with no success yet. Any hint or links?
Hammer-

Give me a few and I'll scan or copy the instructions from my manual of my 03, not sure if it will work but its worth a try. According to mine it's the car that programs to the remotes not the other way around.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 02:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hammer-

Manual can be found here: pthandbook.pdf Instructions are on page 24.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by fabreezai; 04 Apr 2011 at 02:34 pm.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. Seems like I may still be hosed on the remotes, but at least I now have the Owners Manual so there is a silver lining in every thundercloud.

Thank You again for your help!

BIGGER_HAMMER