PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2011, 01:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Exclamation HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

I got a GREAT BandPass Powered Subwoofer for my Late 05 Turbo Convertible from Crutchfield, it's the PERFECT Size and all for a PT Convertibles Trunk, while still leaving plenty of Room for Storage and all, not to mention, it's not all that heavy, so I can easily remove it if I have to, but even though I got a whole Amp Wiring Kit from Crutchfield and all for FREE, I have NO Idea how to even begin running the Wires in my PT, I mean, it's like the Panels can't be easily taken out of my Convertible or something, plus, the Carpet appears to be Glued down really TIGHT, so I really need help with how the rest of you with Subs in your Convertible PT's, ran the Wires and all, because with this Car, I have no Clue and want to get it done ASAP, I don't want to have the whole Car Torn Apart and not be able to get it all back together you know, lol, or Worse, Break something, so HELP, LOL!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Exclamation Re: HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

Anyone????????

I can't possibly be the ONLY Person Installing a Powered Subwoofer and all in a PT Convertible, I mean, you don't even have to have a Powered Sub even, whether you have a Separate Amp doesn't matter, because I only need to know how you Ran the Wires and where?????

I've Read on other PT Sites that most with Convertibles Paid Best Buy or some Stereo Shop to do the Install, but I do all my own work to my Cruiser, so I'm not doing that and it isn't Worth the $200.00 my Local Stereo Shop said it would Cost to do the Install anyway, maybe if they only wanted between $75-$100 Total, but even still, I don't have the Money to waste, so it's best I Finish everything myself and although I GREATLY Appreciate many of you Calling me or having me Call you and Talk me through how you did Installs in your PT Sedans, well, it's A LOT different for a Convertible, so that's the Issue here.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

Maybe if you put the question in the SOUND section, more people interested in the topic would see it. I'll move it over for you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

Solly, didn't see this post before. I ran mine.... going to re-run them in a few weeks. My amp is under the driver's seat. Positive direct to pos batt term, negative to seat clamp for ground. Power to sub goes along the driver's side under the plastic, all the way to the trunk where I have the sub. Pictures below.

10" JL Audio sub in box, connections on back side, cables enter from the left of the box in the seam between seat and floor:

Sub box has hook side of velcro on top/back and bottom, box didn't even move through my wreck, up on two wheels, smashed into 10" square curb, up and into a fence. Box never moved!

Penetration through firewall alongside hood release cable. Worked perfectly!

Left side of battery, 6AWG cable thru firewall to amp:

I don't have any pics of it run under the lower end door trim, but that should be self-explanatory. This was WAY easier than the install in my wife's Aspen! That sucked. This took maybe three hours and I was messing around a lot, just making sure carpets were vacuumed and things like that.

Last edited by Chromenut; 12 Apr 2011 at 07:29 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Maybe if you put the question in the SOUND section, more people interested in the topic would see it. I'll move it over for you.

Sorry CREWZIN, but I Posted in the Convertible Section, because since mine is a Convertible and People with Sedans have been trying to help me, I thought it best to hear from someone with a Convertible, since they are so different and all, but THANKS for Moving my Post, maybe I will get better Responses here!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Solly, didn't see this post before. I ran mine.... going to re-run them in a few weeks. My amp is under the driver's seat. Positive direct to pos batt term, negative to seat clamp for ground. Power to sub goes along the driver's side under the plastic, all the way to the trunk where I have the sub. Pictures below.

10" JL Audio sub in box, connections on back side, cables enter from the left of the box in the seam between seat and floor:

Sub box has hook side of velcro on top/back and bottom, box didn't even move through my wreck, up on two wheels, smashed into 10" square curb, up and into a fence. Box never moved!

I don't have any pics of it run under the lower end door trim, but that should be self-explanatory. This was WAY easier than the install in my wife's Aspen! That sucked. This took maybe three hours and I was messing around a lot, just making sure carpets were vacuumed and things like that.

WOW, THANKS for your FAST Reply and I'll Read through it CAREFULLY, but a few People already told me your System was Stock still, so I actually didn't expect to hear from you about this, otherwise I would have PMed you and asked myself...
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post

OK, two Questions?

1. How did you Install the Velcro to your Sub Box, just with the Stickiness or with Staples or tiny Nails or something, because I'm not sure mine has any on it already?

And B. How did you Pull Out the Side Panels to Run the Wires and did you get the Wires going to the Sub Tucked under the Panels for the Rear Seats and Speakers and if so, how, because I see no way to get the Rear Panels out, not unless I Remove the Seats, Roll-Bar Trim and EVERYTHING back there, which I don't want to do, so if I can Tuck my Wires, that might be best?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dude, definitely NOT stock, matter of fact, other than seats and carpet, nothing's stock on my car!

I was actually typing a further explanation while you were typing so let me add in a line drawing I did to help this out. And I don't mind posting this here as other vert owners may one day need this kind of info.

First, you need a good fishtape, not one of those vinyl/plastic POS one's, a good metal one, that holds it's shape and allows you to force it through obstacles. I have two, one that's like 150' of a combo vinyl/fiber, for running in 'hot' environments as it's non-conductive. The other is a great $12 100 foot metal fish tape I got at Target or Walmart, can't remember which. Anyway, you need a sturdy tape you can push!

Also, I bought a 3' long section of 1"x1" square aluminum tube bar. I mounted my amp to this to get it up off the floor/carpet. Then I used the self-stick adhesive velcro, hook side only, on the bottom of those bars. Sticks to my carpet like it was glued there!!!

Remember, velcro has two sides - hook and pile. The pile side is soft, don't use that or it'll slide everywhere! The hook side is the plasticy side that is stiffer.

Now on to the wiring! Here's my really crappy drawing, but it will give you an overall idea of what I've done.

Run blue coated 6AWG from battery positive, through firewall. Under driver's seat, cut a 2" slit in the carpet, run fish tape under towards firewall. Tape 6AWG to end of fish tape and pull it back through the slit. Leave about 2' out, yes that's a lot but always better to have too much than not enough. Dark blue dotted line above.

Now to run to the trunk was not as hard as I thought it would be. Take off the sill plate at the base of the driver's door opening (purple rectangle on left of drawing). Loosen the carpet in a small area so that you can run fish tape through it. Push your fish tape under the carpet, under the driver's seat to slit.

*** Now, if you aren't using an amp under the seat, you can push up to the firewall from that opening with no problem! ***

Take your cables to be run to the sub, tape them to the end of your fish tape, and pull them out under the carpet out the driver's door. Go to your trunk, lay both seats down, and to the left of the seat on the driver's side, cut a 2" slit in the carpet right at the seam where the seats fold over. When the seats are in the up position it won't even be seen. Take your fish tape and carefully work it under the carpet towards the driver's door. Was not all that difficult for me, just make sure he end of your fish tape is blunt, not sharp! I folded mine over to make it easier to pull wires, but also makes it easier to push it forward without screwing up your carpet pad.

Once you get it to the door, you can tape your wires to the end and pull them into the trunk. Now's the fun part. You have to carefully maneuver the wire in front of the driver's seat, and in front of the passenger seats, to where they won't meet heavy traffic. Me, I used a dull 4" wide putty knife to push the wires under the carpet, meaning I put a little pressure on the carpet over the wires and pushed towards my destination. Took a bit but not all that difficult. Got the wires all the way to the edge of the door frame, then re-attached the sill plate, hooked up the sub and amp, and voila!!!

Now you asked about the vecro on the sub, I stapled a piece, hook side out, on the rear top edge of my box. When the back seats are up in their normal config, the top edge meets the back of the seat and holds the box up in a verticle position. Under the box I stapled two pieces running lengthwise, so it's not sliding around. The thing is easy to pop out, but it never moves!!!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And other than the sill plate, I took NOTHING off!!!! Literally, didn't have to take a thing off!!! Well, I did take my pants off, but that's because that's how I roll.....

Surgery prior to install of new head unit:

And after anesthesia wore off:

Last edited by Chromenut; 12 Apr 2011 at 08:29 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: HELP needed ASAP with running Wires and all for a Powered Subwoofer????????

Oh OK, THANKS A LOT, now, I may have to do a few things different, because my Subwoofer is a Powered Sub, so all my Wiring goes right to it, which should make things easier for me, I THINK, lol...

But this Write Up from you here really does Help A LOT and the Drawings were GREAT as well!!!!!!!!

And yeah, like I said, I was Talking with a Guy I know, have known for a WHILE about this from PTCrew and when I mentioned asking you about this, he said don't bother because your System is Stock and you only Care about Chrome, so, but I get quite a bit of CRAP from Members of PTCrew myself, because like you, my Cruiser is ANYTHING but Stock and I have LOTS of Chrome and Flames even, plus a few Skulls to go with my Hot Rod Theme, so yeah, there isn't really anything Stock left on my Cruiser, lol, in fact, a Guy has been Talking with me about Sponsoring my Cruiser even, because of how IMPRESSED he is with mine, so if all goes well, she may even get A LOT more Mods here soon!!!!!!!!

Oh and BTW, here is my Powered Subwoofer which I Bought from Crutchfield and it has nearly 70 Reviews ALL, ALL, ALL with a 5 out of 5 RATING, not to mention, a TON of People have Video of this same Subwoofer in VARIOUS Cars on YouTube even, so I know I'm gonna be VERY HAPPY with it, especially with the AMAZING System I just Installed in my Cruiser!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h777B8P-f.jpg (64.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg h777B8P-b.jpg (78.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg h777B8P-o_nite.jpg (90.9 KB, 15 views)