Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car Speaker Baffles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Car Speaker Baffles?

OK, so last Night, my Friend was Talking to me on the Phone about my New Pioneer System for my Cruiser and he told me about Baffles for my Door Speakers, because we maybe think that the reason my Speakers in the Doors right now went BAD, is because Water got down in there and Ruined them, because both seemed to go bad at the same time, they make the same Sound even, so I dunno, because I heard the Baffles are gonna make my New Pioneer Door Speakers Sound AWFUL, in fact, on Crutchfield, I didn't see any good Reviews at all, they were all Negative, so anyone have any ideas?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:35 pm
Banned

Default Re: Car Speaker Baffles?

speakers baffles are just covers for your speakers magnets; no?

Check it out.

I know we are not talking subwoofers; but Subwoofers need to be placed in a box.

They even have 6x9 boxes for those speakers.

So even Full Range speakers need the right amount of air to sound right.

This is a review I am copy/paste from Amazon; which agrees with all the crutchfeild reviews:

"I installed these with my new speakers. I put one side on with these and the other side without. The speakers with these sounded awfull they had zero base and a muffled sound to them. I threw these in the trash, waste of money"
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DEI 050331 Boom Mat 6.5" Round Slim Speaker Baffle - Pack of 2

-----

You need to cure the problem, not the symptoms. If your car is leaking water during snow or rain, FIX IT. and replace the speakers.

For a good speaker, that is cheap; may I recommend the Alpine type S speakers.
Alpine SPS-600 Car speaker - 80 Watt

If it was a one time thing, like you forgot to shut your windows, Speaker Baffles are not the answer.

-

One of my good friends from high school, that went all Surfer Dude on us, bought a Jeep with a soft top.

He tried the speaker baffles, but the speakers had no bass because there is no room for the bass FQ to expand.

To solve his problem, we got him Marine speakers. They are the same size as car audio speakers, and can be used the same.

But car audio has a much bigger line of options, and generally sound much better; and made of better quality (daily driver)

-

Also I wouldn't rule out that it might not be the speakers, if both are doing it; it might be the head unit; or your your speaker wire connections.

-

let us know how it goes.

Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: Car Speaker Baffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPtCruiser View Post
speakers baffles are just covers for your speakers magnets; no?

Check it out.

I know we are not talking subwoofers; but Subwoofers need to be placed in a box.

They even have 6x9 boxes for those speakers.

So even Full Range speakers need the right amount of air to sound right.

This is a review I am copy/paste from Amazon; which agrees with all the crutchfeild reviews:

"I installed these with my new speakers. I put one side on with these and the other side without. The speakers with these sounded awfull they had zero base and a muffled sound to them. I threw these in the trash, waste of money"
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DEI 050331 Boom Mat 6.5" Round Slim Speaker Baffle - Pack of 2

-----

You need to cure the problem, not the symptoms. If your car is leaking water during snow or rain, FIX IT. and replace the speakers.

For a good speaker, that is cheap; may I recommend the Alpine type S speakers.
Alpine SPS-600 Car speaker - 80 Watt

If it was a one time thing, like you forgot to shut your windows, Speaker Baffles are not the answer.

-

One of my good friends from high school, that went all Surfer Dude on us, bought a Jeep with a soft top.

He tried the speaker baffles, but the speakers had no bass because there is no room for the bass FQ to expand.

To solve his problem, we got him Marine speakers. They are the same size as car audio speakers, and can be used the same.

But car audio has a much bigger line of options, and generally sound much better; and made of better quality (daily driver)

-

Also I wouldn't rule out that it might not be the speakers, if both are doing it; it might be the head unit; or your your speaker wire connections.

-

let us know how it goes.

It's not my HeadUnit or anything like that, in fact, I get the same Blown Speaker Sound from both Door Speakers with my New Pioneer DVD GPS Unit, actually, it's WORSE, because of this Unit being more Powerful and all, although, when Watching a DVD, it's not so bad, not unless there is Music, but also, my Cruiser doesn't Leak whatsoever, NO Leaking; however, ALL Cars get Water and Moister inside the Doors, it's just something that happens, even on many NEW Cars I've Worked on at the Dealers I've been a Mechanic for, I've found Water inside the Doors, but usually after a HARD Rain or Winter, which is why they make these Speaker Baffles and also, A LOT of Car Factory Speakers have Baffles Built-On, which could also explain why A LOT of Factory Speakers Sound so terrible, even the High Quality ones, so, but I know they are gonna make my New Door Speakers Sound AWFUL, so maybe I can figure something else out...?

Actually, I've been thinking, if I Buy these, I can Cut them in Half, then, the Speakers will still have some Water Protection if anything ever gets in again, but the Sound won't be effected, because only the Top half of each Speaker will be Covered, so that should work quite well actually...

I mean, I don't have any other Ideas and I Paid A LOT for my New Door Speakers, so I need them to last and Sound GREAT you know!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 11:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had the foam baffles when i installed door speakers in our mustang. Sounded terrible and i took them back out. I first installed them for the same reason to keep water off. They list them as making speakers sound better but they sound like crap instead.

After i removed them, i just took plastic material in a c shape and mounted them in between the speaker and door frame. If you get it tight around the speaker, there is no rattle or effect on sound but will have protection from water coming in.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 02:40 pm
Banned

Marine speakers are waterproof

Marine Speakers & Tower Systems at Crutchfield.com

Rock The Boat Waterproof Speakers - Marine Rated Audio Gear
Old 13 Apr 2011, 05:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Re: Car Speaker Baffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
I had the foam baffles when i installed door speakers in our mustang. Sounded terrible and i took them back out. I first installed them for the same reason to keep water off. They list them as making speakers sound better but they sound like crap instead.

After i removed them, i just took plastic material in a c shape and mounted them in between the speaker and door frame. If you get it tight around the speaker, there is no rattle or effect on sound but will have protection from water coming in.

But what if I Buy them, because they are Cheap and Cut them in Half, that way, my Speakers will be Protected from any Water and the Sound won't be effected at all, because they won't be closed off or anything, so I believe that will work...
Old 13 Apr 2011, 06:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPtCruiser View Post

Thanks, but I do not want Marine Speakers, I want to use the New EXPENSIVE Pioneer Speakers I already got from Crutchfield, especially since they have the BEST Reviews of any 6 1/2" Car Speaker they Sell, so we need to figure out a way for me to Protect these from any Water, because as I said before, ALL Cars get Water Inside the Doors, thus why ALL Cars have Drain Holes at the Bottom of the Door, in fact, if you Wash your Cruiser, then Pull your Door Panels, if you check your Speakers, you will find that yours will be Wet also...

It's WORSE with Toyota's though, as their Drain Plugs don't work so well, so often, the Doors tend to FILL with Water and Rust out, in fact, I use to be a Mechanic for a Local Toyota Dealer many Years ago and I can't even tell you how many times I either had to Replace Doors or even do Rust Repairs because of that, the CHEAP Factory Paper Speakers are also in turn RUINED, but Toyota's POOR Build Quality doesn't help that either, in fact, I saw ALL of their Problems coming a Mile away...

Miata's have a SEVERE Problem with Water in their Doors as well, MOST Mazda's actually, but their Factory Speakers have Water Guards Built-On, so apparently, Mazda knew about the Issue and of course, their Fix was to just Cover the Back of the Speakers, but Aftermarket Speakers don't have those Guards of course, so that creates a bit of a Problem.

To be honest, I don't even know if much Water has gotten into my Doors and Ruined my Speakers, but because others have had this Issue, I believe it's best to Prevent this from happening in the first place you know, because the last thing I want is to have to Replace these Speakers in a Year or so, in fact, the Pioneer's in my Cruiser now have only been in for about two Years, so, but I did Buy those from ebay, so for all I know, they could have been Bad to begin with.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 08:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: Car Speaker Baffles?

Yeah, as usual, I was right, this is a VERY COMMON Problem, in fact, there are Post about this ALL OVER the Net and even YouTube, so after Talking to a Guy on YouTube, he said that I was right and that if I Buy those Foam Baffles from Crutchfield and Cut them in Half or even just Cut out the Bottom like he did, it will not only Perfectly Protect the Speakers from Water, but allow the Speakers to Breath into the Doors, so their Sound won't be effected whatsoever, so that's what I'm gonna do and once the Weather is Nice enough to do this all, I will be Happy to Post Pictures, anyway, Thanks for your Help!!!!!!!!
Old 13 Apr 2011, 10:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It looks as though you have the water issue under control. If you are spending big $$$ on top of the line speakers, deadening the door will help improve the sound even more.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Car Speaker Baffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpt View Post
It looks as though you have the water issue under control. If you are spending big $$$ on top of the line speakers, deadening the door will help improve the sound even more.

Yes and Thank You!! I honestly don't know if I really do have a Water Problem, because all Cars get Water inside the Doors, but since I Bought such Nice Speakers and all, it just makes sense to take care of this now you know, besides, it's Weird how my Drivers Door Speaker started making a Blown Speaker Sound, then a little while after, my Passenger Door Speaker, so my Friend and I just figured that Water Damaged the Speakers in some way, since it's a Common Problem and all...

I was starting to think my Door Panels could be Rattling, but no, that's not possible, because I get this Blown Sound even at the LOWEST Volumes and if it was in fact my Door Panels, they would Rattle over Bumps, Rough Roads and just plain all the time, so we Ruled that one out, so this is the only Idea I have left you know...?