PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
updating the factory stereo in a 2000 cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2011, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default updating the factory stereo in a 2000 cruiser

Greetings-

My daughter managed to convince her grandfather to give her the keys to his 2000 PT cruiser on her 16th birthday. He is the original owner and initially ordered it when they first came out for my brother when he was in college, in part because of their appeal, but also because he was tired of working on my brother's Grand Wagoneer.

Anyway, to the point. The original head has only a cassette player and radio, I'm looking to replace it since I'm not sure my daughter could even identify a cassette tape. I'm curious if anyone has ever seen someone put a MYGIG RER style chrysler/ jeep head unit in a cruiser.

I put one in my Wrangler JKU, and am pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the low speed bus/ high speed bus model and year specific challenges with them.

I also know that you'd obviously need to replace/ fabricate a new harness as the styles were changed several years back and take a look at how to put in a double DIN unit. I'm thinking that a low speed bus RER unit might be feasible.

Has anyone tried this?

If a low speed MYGIG system won't work, what's the best commercial option that provides GPS, CD-R/and or DVD-R readability, MP3 line in, XM, and bluetooth?

Thanks

Last edited by smeg94; 13 Apr 2011 at 09:56 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: updating the factory stereo in a 2000 cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg94 View Post
Greetings-

My daughter managed to convince her grandfather to give her the keys to his 2000 PT cruiser on her 16th birthday. He is the original owner and initially ordered it when they first came out for my brother when he was in college, in part because of their appeal, but also because he was tired of working on my brother's Grand Wagoneer.

Anyway, to the point. The original head has only a cassette player and radio, I'm looking to replace it since I'm not sure my daughter could even identify a cassette tape. I'm curious if anyone has ever seen someone put a MYGIG RER style chrysler/ jeep head unit in a cruiser.

I put one in my Wrangler JKU, and am pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the low speed bus/ high speed bus model and year specific challenges with them.

I also know that you'd obviously need to replace/ fabricate a new harness as the styles were changed several years back and take a look at how to put in a double DIN unit. I'm thinking that a low speed bus RER unit might be feasible.

Has anyone tried this?

If a low speed MYGIG system won't work, what's the best commercial option that provides GPS, CD-R/and or DVD-R readability, MP3 line in, XM, and bluetooth?

Thanks
hey there, greetings from San Antonio from Eve and I. I'll forward this to a few of my buddy's and let them battle it out for you. lol
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanG View Post
hey there, greetings from San Antonio from Eve and I. I'll forward this to a few of my buddy's and let them battle it out for you. lol
Howdy WolfmanG and Eve-

I appreciate the assist. Funny, I'm actually relocating to TX from NC in a couple of weeks.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Howdy WolfmanG and Eve-

I appreciate the assist. Funny, I'm actually relocating to TX from NC in a couple of weeks.
cool, what part of texas, is it gonna be here in SA? if so then you must be military.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes I am... pretty close to San Antonio.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
yes I am... pretty close to San Antonio.
lol, i'm gonna take this convo off of this thread, i don't want to get busted for being off topic lol.
Old 17 Apr 2011, 02:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Greetings-

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

I don't think you can have a MYGIG system in the pt cruiser. The dash kits won't line up, and I am not sure if the system is compadabble.

If you want GPS, CDR, DVD, MP3, BlueTooth, and Sat Radio, you are looking around the $600+ range.

It's a single din, so you will have a pop out touch screen.

-

If you can do with out the DVD, I would suggest you do; It's not safe, especially for 16 year old new driver to take their eyes off the road because they are right in the middle of Avatar, you know.

And you can use a secondary GPS external unit; you can get something very good in the $200 range.

If you NEED the GPS and DVD, I will see what's meets those requirements.
Old 17 Apr 2011, 02:46 pm
Banned

Here is a link to every head unit on the market today with all of your requirements. (besides the GPS) You can save like $500 if you ditch the GPS, and get an external one that hooks to the windshield. You know, and external.

(Sort Price: Highest First) DVD Players with a Monitor (Receiver Size: Single DIN slot with flip-out screen, Satellite Radio: Optional - SIRIUS or XM (accessory required)) | Car Stereos and Head Units | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Ele

BUT IF YOU WANT IT ALL:

There was only 2 I found that had it all that was under$1,500.00 (I was looking under $900 with out sacrificing quality)

GPS, SAT Radio, IPOD, MP3, DVD, single din (so it will fit).

The good thing is that there is free shipping, and this place gives you everything you need for the install for free based on your car, and they are an authorized dealer, so you get a great warranty.

It Includes a Dash Kit for your vehicle
A Wire Harness for your vehicle.

Pioneer AVH-P6300BT & AVIC-U220 Navigation Package
Single DIN 7" LCD Touchscreen with DVD/CD/MP3 Player with USB/iPod Controls, Aux Input, & Bluetooth

Pioneer AVH-P6300BT (AVHP6300BT) AVIC-U220 (AVICU220) Navigation

Other option, with all the same features, and equal quality, etc.

Kenwood P-NAV696 (KVT-696 + KNA-G610)
In-dash DVD + Navigation Combination Package

Kenwood P-NAV696 (pnav696) In-dash DVD + Navigation Combination

-

In conclusion, you can get all your needs in one nice package, but what you want is a top of the line, cutting edge technology, loaded with every possible feature, that will fit the PT Cruiser.

$800 Bucks. I looked on Ebay you can get them for $700.

In this case, I would say get it from Sonic, they are an authorized Dealer, and if anything happens, they will replace it.

For a large $$ item, go with the warranty for 12% more $.

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 17 Apr 2011 at 02:54 pm.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate you taking the time to look at that. One nice thing about the MYGIG is that the DVD won't play when the vehicle is in motion from the factory unless you get a lockpick. Downside is you can't completely input an address in the DVD with it in motion either. Without the lockpick. I wasn't sure if any of the later model cruisers came with a double din fascia. Anyway, I have plenty of time before she turns 16. I picked my MYGIG up on line (equipped with the 30 gig hard drive for music storage) for around $500 on ebay. You're absolutely right, separating the GPS from the factory head does save a ton of cash.

I'll keep y'all posted once I decide on a direction to go with it.

Thanks.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 08:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Howdy WolfmanG and Eve-

Where in NC are you? You should check out CPTC Home Page and RTTB_Home.htm

The carolina cruisers are a great bunch to hang out with and Return to the Beach is an all PT show and is an awesome chance to see people and their cars from all over.

If he ordered it in 2000. i would be interested in knowing how early it is. How many window switches are in the front? 2 or 4?

Tags
gps, low speed bus, mygig, rer, stereo