Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's my problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2011, 01:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's my problem?

Ok guys, here's my problem...ever since I got my pt I've been upgrading the sound system to make it sound better and better but I just don't hear it even though I have the specs for it...what's my problem?

I have...
Pioneer 3000IB Dash
Polk DB6501 Front Component Speakers and tweeters
Polk DB571 Rear Speakers
Kenwood KAC-2404S Amp (500W/4 Channel)

And I have one layer of edead(another kind of dynamat) on each of my doors...

It's sad to say but my mom 05 honda van sounds better than my sound system...

Is there a step I'm missing to get sound quality that other cars have that come just stock?

Or would you just say for me to dynamat my pt more?

Anyway, thanks
Old 24 Apr 2011, 03:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: What's my problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyler05 View Post
Pioneer 3000IB Dash - Greatly limiting your SQ due to lack of dsp/tuning and a few other tools.
Polk DB6501 Front Component Speakers and tweeters - Die-hard Polk fan here. I hope you're not using the stock location (dash) for your tweeters. Worst placement ever.
Polk DB571 Rear Speakers - For true sound-quality, get rid of these. You can keep them though as rear-fill or as consideration for your rear passengers.
Kenwood KAC-2404S Amp (500W/4 Channel) - Hope you properly set your gain. Also, check to make sure you used the appropriate pre-amp outputs from your headunit. Your headunit might have additional settings for these outputs so make sure they're set to full-range.

Anyway, thanks - Np
Answered the above in Bold, red lettering.

Now, things to consider.

What is your source IE cd player, radio, mp3 player through 3.5mm jack?

If it's an MP3 player (don't care about make/model), using the 3.5mm jack is a crappy connection. Not only does a cheap cable/connection degrade your SQ by alot, you're using the MP3 player's built-in DAC (digital to analog convertor) to handle the important task of processing your music. People don't buy MP3 players for sound quality, they buy them for the convenience they offer. Who honestly is going to carry around a headphone amp and some Denon AH-D7000 headphones? That's sound quality right there....

Again, hitting on the MP3 player you need to make sure your material is of high bit-rate or at the very least in lossless format. Anything lower than 256kbs or lossy audio will result in crappy sound quality.

As for radio, well unless you've got an HD tuner your radio stations aren't going to sound all that great.

Last but not least, if you're using the CD player I hope you're using well-recorded (as in studio recorded) CD's. Burned CD's don't pick up all the 1's and 0's from an already recorded/bought CD. It'll be even worse if the CD itself is of crappy quality and yes....even CD's you buy at the store can sound like crap because it could be a 2nd or even later 'copy' of a 'copy' of a 'copy' of the master copy.

Audiophile here for many years, and will be one for the rest of my life.

If you've got any questions about audio (both home and mobile), feel free to ask.

And if you happen to be in the northern CA area, you're welcome to drop on by and get your ears on either my home or car stereo. You'd hate to leave once you hear things here on my end

-Freddy
Old 24 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

In my journey in sound systems I have found that a sub woofer will fill your sound out and make a crappy tinny system sound like a million bucks.
Im not talking about 4 15inch monsters either. 1 8inch in a properly tuned box and a nicely powered amp will fill in the sub bass and mid bass range.

A friend of mine has a 200w mono amp and a Kenwood 8 inch in a pre-built single band pass box.
It sounded like he had 2 12s in there. Way too much bass. After playing with his amp we got it tuned for the whole system and it was amazing. Not muddy or too thumpy.

PT Cruisers in general sound nice with subs, its all in the hatch!
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I agree, The pt speakers from factory even sound pro with a decent sub.

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 24 Apr 2011, 03:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger_ns View Post
In my journey in sound systems I have found that a sub woofer will fill your sound out and make a crappy tinny system sound like a million bucks.
Im not talking about 4 15inch monsters either. 1 8inch in a properly tuned box and a nicely powered amp will fill in the sub bass and mid bass range.

A friend of mine has a 200w mono amp and a Kenwood 8 inch in a pre-built single band pass box.
It sounded like he had 2 12s in there. Way too much bass. After playing with his amp we got it tuned for the whole system and it was amazing. Not muddy or too thumpy.

PT Cruisers in general sound nice with subs, its all in the hatch!
To the OP, take note of what chigger said....."tuned".

That's the main difference between home and car audio. Audio in a vehicle requires tuning to achieve SQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
I agree, The pt speakers from factory even sound pro with a decent sub.
Eh, my GT had the 'premium' factory system and it sounds like crap. Even Bose, Kicker, Monsoon and other 'factory upgraded systems' all sound like disgusting. You just need to get your ears on a decent system and I'm 100% sure you'll retract that statement.

Tags
audio, edead, sound system, speakers