Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Some bass- easy questions for those in the know

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2011, 12:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Some bass- easy questions for those in the know

I havent been messing with stereo's since the late 80's when loud ment modding some House speaker. I am in the process of upgrading my 05 PT. I put in a JVC 950? Arsenal head unit (I been reading here, lets forgive my choice, I had good luck with them in the past) last year (sorry dont know model, was about $250ish when I got it). Its got the things I wanted at the time. sub preout, Front USB, sat radio, and Ipod.

But.... back in the good old days we didnt have sub preouts and such.. 8 wires for 4 speakers and crossovers and eq's.... I guess what Im saying is ... HELP... im clueless (well not totally).

Im not looking for noise that will destory my hearing, sorry, will leave that to you guys much younger, old people are deaf right now and they didnt have blareing stereos and they did it whats going to happen to those who do have um?... in 30 years we are going to have entire generation of deaf old people (thats all said in fun).

So, here is my question (finally) the stock speakers sound fine for some casual listining but yes I do crank it slightly once and awhile. So my plan is some OK priced upgrades to the stock speakers (if you want to chime in on that fine, but I think I can handle that part). The SUB is where Im a bit confused.

Sombody Linked this: Bass Package: Hifonics HFi100.2 + Kenwood KFCW3012 + Kit + Box

Seems like an ok price and a moderate bump over the stock stuff, just what Im looking for. Can I pipe this into the SUB out and manage it with my Head Unit ok?

yes lots of wind out of me for such a simple question. Any help?
Old 26 Apr 2011, 04:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Some bass- easy questions for those in the know

I see most of this was answered in the DILL thread so consider it closed.. add if you like but I think I got all my answers there.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 05:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Glad it helpped. Once i get everything installed ill be putting pics and such and instructions on my blog The Pickled PT, And Other Pickled Things

The equipment I got beats everything else out in termsof quality and price. A great deal and while yes it can shake pics off ur wall in your house, the amp comes with a easy to install volume knob. Ill probably keep mine turned down

As far as installing it, its really not overly complicated

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2011, 06:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can also get the factory subwoofer.

subcruiser | eBay

Installs in the left rear pocket, is 80 watts and he can send you instructions for factory, premium and aftermarket radios. I have one and many others have bought from him. Its just right for more bottom end without taking up ANY space. Amp is built in and the included harness plug into the radio.

They have been going for less than $100 shipped. Not bad since it was much more from dealer.

Last edited by xwing777; 26 Apr 2011 at 06:02 pm. Reason: typo
Old 27 Apr 2011, 02:02 pm
Banned

You and do much better for your $.

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 02 May 2011 at 02:26 pm.
Old 02 May 2011, 12:59 pm
Young Cruiser

hmm i thought the $200 one i listed was from own of your posts Sgt Pt, maybe not. I am not looking to rattle my interior, did that in my youth. I just want a little more Bass then the stock has. Suprisingly I think the stock speakers are pretty decent (minus the bass) but they are so weak.. on the highway at 75 with some wind they are complety ooverwhlemed by roadnoise. And when you push them to the limit they do show some seroius weakness..otherwise I would just use them. I am almost shocked how much a average headunit has improved them.

$300-400 is not expensive, but its like putting a set of $2000 wheels on a honda civic... why, its still tha car your grandma gave you.

Dont get me wrong, im sure that would be best bang for buck.. problem is I dont need alot of bang, just a tiny bit more bang than i got, all that extra would go to waste for me I do have a nice set of subs in my Vette, but the PT dont need that kind of audio love.

My plan is $3-400 total to just upgrade a bit. I get dealer prices (good to know the right people... stereo stuff is like 100% mark up !!!!!!) and they carry most non store bought name brands. To be honest my main concern is size (on the sub) I like the one on ebay that holds the 2 10" and fits in package shelf area but at almost $200 shipped without subs its a bit pricy.

And I have read your threads, excellent info.. I must just have read the one I listed wrong
Old 02 May 2011, 01:33 pm
Banned

I don't like that Kenwood/Hifonics 'kit'. you can do way better for $200. Way better

That HiFonics amp is not CEA certified, which means the Watt and RMS numbers are not accurate.

Also, the Amp is Class A/B. That is not ideal for subwoofers. Class D amps run much cooler; and won't over heat. Class AB amps run hot; and will overheat much quicker than a Class D.

Also that subwoofer is an entry level one. Level 1.

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 02 May 2011 at 02:12 pm.
Old 02 May 2011, 01:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
You can also get the factory subwoofer.

subcruiser | eBay

80 watts for bass? that isn't much at all. That won't even give you a little extra push. 80 RMS for bass isn't anything really.

Not good bang for the buck at all. On ebay it's listed as $199. Mees no think so

Just my opinion.

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 02 May 2011 at 02:28 pm.
Old 02 May 2011, 01:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Allow me to step in!

While I dont know a ton about car audio From what ive learned I can set you up with some decent thump.

For an all in one solution this amplified set is nice, and a good price too.

NEW BOSS BASS1500 10" 1500W CAR AMPLIFIED SUBWOOFER | eBay

Sure, its a boss. But if you arent planning on taki g it anywhere near its max then u should never realy have issues. Best thing about this is the size, its perfect to get you thump without taking lots of room. The amp is built into the box. If u got this then all ud need is the amp wiring kit.

NEW USA LINK AMPLIFIER (AMP) WIRING KIT - 4 GAUGE (4G) | eBay

Thats the same wiring kit I used and I love it. It got the job done nicely.

So basically this setup would be great for someone looking for good bass without the space and price. The 10 inch sub works best for music like rock and such it can handle deep rap bass alright as well

If u like the idea of an all in one set but want one a littke better this infinity is a bigger box and a bigger omph but like I said, at your playing levels it wont matter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-10-BASS...item53e684fa78

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dill; 02 May 2011 at 01:50 pm.
Old 02 May 2011, 01:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

In terms of buying individual stuff, well stick with 10 inch in my opinion, the bigger the sub the deeper the bass so most people tend to like 10's for average listenung and price.

Heres an enclosure, good reviews, its small enough not to take up much room and is a good price

SINGLE 10" SUBWOOFER VENTED PORTED ENCLOSURE SUB BOX | eBay

As far as subs you have a boss, great sub for the price

NEW BOSS AUDIO P106DVC 10" 2100W DVC CAR SUB SUBWOOFER | eBay

Or if you want somethi g a lil more recognizable you can go with the pioneer

PIONEER PREMIER TS-W2502D4 10" SUBWOOFER 3000 WATT NEW | eBay

As far as wiring kit, stick with the one I posted above. As far as amp, youve gotta get the same as what I have, for the price youre getting tons of featuresand reliability

Audiopipe AP15001D Class D Amplifier - Ships Same Day!! - eBay (item 270728733715 end time May-30-11 14:47:50 PDT)