PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electrical issueS... (fog lights always turned on... radio display turned off.. etc)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2011, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrical issueS... (fog lights always turned on... radio display turned off.. etc)

Hello, on my 2002 PT cruiser (2.0/LPG - touring) the radio display was turned off intermittently while the radio and CD both worked fine ... I noticed that in touching the key this radio display sometimes reappeared but for few months the screen is definitively black... what is strange too is that the key can even be removed while the engine is tuned on...
Furthermore... (and like many of us) the fog lights stay on after lights are turned off and even after the engine is turned off. Fog lights go off if turn indicator is placed in left turn position. The only wise solution I found to not discharge the battery was to remove the fog fuse... I noticed that a slight touch on the fog provoked a very slight crackling in the speakers... and coincidence or not... two speakers now don't work anymore (one rear speaker and one front speaker)...
I went on the web and search, search and search a solution... I saw many PT cruiser owners with some of those issues and read that there are lots of problems with the wiring harness running down the steering column... So I went today to check if there were some wires get stretched, pinched or cut and I saw a small white wiring harness not connected... and found any place to reconnect it... After this operation during which I have done nothing... the radio don't work anymore....!!!! I can only remove and insert a CD... but I can see nothing and hear nothing... Please help me before I become completely crazyyyy! Is my PT cruiser haunted?? Am I an unlucky owner??? Or... all this electrical issues could be linked...and is there a rational explanation...? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 03:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical issueS... (fog lights always turned on... radio display turned off.. e

The fog light issue is a well known problem with the Mulit-function switch on your steering column. There's very badly made small parts that wear out and cause the fog lights to stay on.

You can replace the stalk itself (very easy) or use the instructions on top of the Tech & Performance section of this forum to try and fix the stalk itself.

Since you looked at the wiring harness in the steering column and things started to go bad with the radio and speakers, I suggest that the problem does come the harness and a closer look is needed. Try turning on the radio and moving the steering wheel up and down and moving the harness and see if any of the problems go away or present themselves.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 03:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: Electrical issueS... (fog lights always turned on... radio display turned off.. e

The fog light isue is amost always the multifunction switch. Its easy to replace and costs around 50 bucks. Theres also a way you can fix the issue as well without having to cough up cash. Its fairly simple but requires a little more gusto.

how to get to the MFS is here Replace Multifunction Switch w/fog lamps

How to fix it yourself once you get to it is here MF switched repair

And on my blog I posted a few pictures of the repair itself and the culprit here The Pickled PT, And Other Pickled Things

That is more than likely the fog lights issue as I had the same problem. As far as your radio someone else will have to elaborate.

And while composing this symphony of instructions I see crewzin beat me to it!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2011, 01:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit_bertrand View Post
Hello, on my 2002 PT cruiser (2.0/LPG - touring) the radio display was turned off intermittently while the radio and CD both worked fine ... I noticed that in touching the key this radio display sometimes reappeared but for few months the screen is definitively black... what is strange too is that the key can even be removed while the engine is tuned on...
Furthermore... (and like many of us) the fog lights stay on after lights are turned off and even after the engine is turned off. Fog lights go off if turn indicator is placed in left turn position. The only wise solution I found to not discharge the battery was to remove the fog fuse... I noticed that a slight touch on the fog provoked a very slight crackling in the speakers... and coincidence or not... two speakers now don't work anymore (one rear speaker and one front speaker)...
I went on the web and search, search and search a solution... I saw many PT cruiser owners with some of those issues and read that there are lots of problems with the wiring harness running down the steering column... So I went today to check if there were some wires get stretched, pinched or cut and I saw a small white wiring harness not connected... and found any place to reconnect it... After this operation during which I have done nothing... the radio don't work anymore....!!!! I can only remove and insert a CD... but I can see nothing and hear nothing... Please help me before I become completely crazyyyy! Is my PT cruiser haunted?? Am I an unlucky owner??? Or... all this electrical issues could be linked...and is there a rational explanation...? Thanks in advance for your help.
Benoit-

Your fog light problem I'm 98% sure is your MFS. Install a new one or you can opt to repair it per dill's suggestion. Once you have done so, to prevent it from happening again in the future, jump over to the PT Crew site and go to the Mod Bible section and do the fog light relay mod. It is HIGHLY recommended to prevent your new MFS from any future problems.

As for your radio problems. A couple of questions, do you have steering wheel controls for the radio and witch radio model do you have? I assume you just have the single in dash CD not the multi? If so I think I can help you, I had a similar problem with my 03'.

Let me know.
Old 09 May 2011, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
do you have steering wheel controls for the radio and witch radio model do you have? .

Did any PT come with steering wheel controls ...I think not.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 May 2011, 03:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Did any PT come with steering wheel controls ...I think not.
Thank you crewzin- Was not sure about any models that were released over seas as to any options they might have. Like a diesel engine (unless I'm wrong about that too, not sure).

Cheers.

Last edited by fabreezai; 09 May 2011 at 03:16 pm.