Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MY CAR IS SOO LOUD!!! Ahh...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2011, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default MY CAR IS SOO LOUD!!! Ahh...

SO here's my problem...I've noticed that compared to other cars my 02 pt is very loud inside for multiple reasons, the major one being from lack of insulation. It directly affects my sound system for it requires me to turn up the volume to an unnormal level just to hear the sound quality that my friends mazda3 gets. Inside his car it is much quieter and easier to hear the music, and just the music. I put in 1 layer of edead, just like dynamat, a while ago on all 4 doors in order to help with the problem but have just noticed a minor change. What should I do now?

Add insulation?
Add different kinds of sound deadining?
Add a sound deadener under the hood?
Or what?

Thanks!

My pt is kinda loud though from an aftermarket muffler that I have but am going to take off this summer
Old 25 May 2011, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: MY CAR IS SOO LOUD!!! Ahh...

Personally, just waiting for the time but I'm lining my entire interior with eDead. I've been in three other PT's that have used it, way cheaper than dynamat, and boy did it make a difference. I've got a vert, so sound deadening is a must for me.

If you decide to go eDead, let me know as the guys over at Elemental Designs give us a discount, and I have to look up the number for that.
Old 25 May 2011, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Besides being a fire blanket, the mat under the hood also acts as a sound deadener. You do still have that mat under the hood, right?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 May 2011, 04:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Personally, just waiting for the time but I'm lining my entire interior with eDead. I've been in three other PT's that have used it, way cheaper than dynamat, and boy did it make a difference. I've got a vert, so sound deadening is a must for me.

If you decide to go eDead, let me know as the guys over at Elemental Designs give us a discount, and I have to look up the number for that.
I used Dyna-mat on my Infiniti trunk. It made a huge difference. But it was expensive.

Dynamat was $300 (on ebay) or $400 MSRP for the large kit.

I haven't looked into E-Dead. I might now though!
Old 25 May 2011, 05:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

All you had to do was replace the aftermarket muffler. I take it it made a loud drone. My '01 with a stock muffler wasn't loud at all. Mhy stock '04 GT isn't loud, either. I think with your ultra sensitive ears you just need to buy ear plugs.
Old 25 May 2011, 06:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dynamat type materials will help dampen the car on the larger panels like doors and hatch but to really quieting down the car,an old trick i used when i installed car audio is polyfill. Its cheap, light and works very well. Take the plastic panels off and stuff as much as you can into every nook and cranny (make sure it doesnt interfere with anything though) You can make little dams out of metal duct tape (not the duct tape brand but heating and air duct tape)

Dynamat type materials are very good to asborb viberations of the actual metal panels but do little to kill general noise. Using it together with something that asborbs the sound will make a dramatic improvement.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Besides being a fire blanket, the mat under the hood also acts as a sound deadener. You do still have that mat under the hood, right?
To answer your question, yes i do still have the mat under the hood but it is still at least 9 years old now...
Old 04 Jun 2011, 08:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

I took all the interior out carpet and door pannels, and spray the car wtih
dynamat liquid it works great it made a big diference i also move the locks of all 4 doors closser because it was leaking air on the freeway

DynaSpray
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd
Old 05 Jun 2011, 03:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Another brand you may want to look at is Second Skin. They have several different types of damping materials. They are big on achieving real acoustical damping not just mass loading a panel.

Tags
sound deadener