Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
carpc in a pt crusier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2011, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default carpc in a pt crusier

Just wondering, has anyone attempted to put a carpc into a pt crusier? I was thinking of replacing the in dash radio with a touch screen monitor connected to a carpc and going through amps for radio, and that way I can monitor the car on the fly with the obd connection. Anyone know anything or suggestions?
Old 25 May 2011, 10:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: carpc in a pt crusier

On pre-2006 models it's pretty straight forward. You hook it up just like you would your stereo, power, ground, and signal back tot he OBDii port. However, models after '06 you'll need to separate it completely from the CAN buss. Believe me, I tried this early on when I bought mine and did nothing but cause myself trouble. Still after years, and over 1100 hours of work on my PT, I still have problems understanding what Chrysler was trying to do with the CAN buss. Some items on that buss make ABSOLUTELY no sense.

So, you can hook up a CarPC, I use one when racing, as long as you power it separately, but no problems hooking into the OBDii port. Personally, if you're going to do that, why not invest in a DSP? It's got all the monitoring set up already, and is incredibly easy to use. I never make a pull at the track without it hooked in logging to my laptop. Works like a charm and shows you a huge amount of data. Matter of fact, I'm probably going to set up a stand alone laptop this weekend, just for use in monitoring my engine functions. I'm chasing a gremlin somewhere in my engine and my DSP is integral in troubleshooting the inner workings.

Also, you can do things like adjust your alternator's output voltage, brighten up your lamps and decrease the dimming of your headlights when added loads hit your engine (like AC compressor surge). You can make so many fine adjustments, it's really a very cool tool. I've heard people say that for non-turbo PT's it's a waste, but not really. You can do so much more than simple race tuning.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
Old 25 May 2011, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry not sure what a DSP is just from the abbreviation, and I was looking at a CarPC because I really want it to do more then just monitor the car, I really wanted one for the all around uses, music, gps, car monitoring, movies, etc etc.
Old 25 May 2011, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And it would be for a 05 crusier convertible
Old 25 May 2011, 10:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ah, okay, gotcha. DiabloSport Predator. It's a race tool used to tune the PT. I use it for many other things, mainly to chase down engine issues like rough idle and such. It interfaces between the OBDii port and the PC. You change your settings with the DSP, then can monitor them on your PC. Not really what you are looking for.
Old 25 May 2011, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah its a non-turbo, and not really looking to do anything performance wise yet.
Old 09 Jun 2011, 12:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Areus, I get what you're going after.
Here are some thoughts for you:
TFT monitor, no big deal. Just pick whatever size you want and away you go.
The PC aspect of the things, obviously you're going to want to get as small as you can, without giving up performance. So pick your case wisely.
Now here is the fun part:
PCs are 12 volt.
Granted, you have to regulate that 12 volts in order to not kill your pc, but its super easy and your power supply is your car itself.
Its great fun.
Now here another idea for you:
Why not mold an Ipad into your dash, in place of the head unit and heater controls? Of you'd have to relocate the heater controls, but again, thats fun too.

This is one we did in a Toyota, obviously it would look way better in a PT, but at least you get the idea.

Just some thoughts.
Old 09 Jun 2011, 08:01 am
Regular Cruiser

What software is the best for doing this on a pc?iPhone?iPad? And is the Gopoint GL-1 cable the best option? Anyone have the pricing and where to find such software and or cables?

Thanks!

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.