Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car alarm question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2011, 11:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Car alarm question

Ok, the alarm went off when I opened the trunk today. Need to set this up for you..............have an 03 gt, regular keys, no fobs. Had it for about a month now, alarm has never sounded (didn't even know it was alarmed). Went to the store, locked it as usual. When I came out and opened the trunk......BEEP BEEP BEEP. What, where, when and how? Thank you. Peace.

It's the wife's PT......but I get to drive it on occasion

2003 Inferno Red GT.........no mods.....stock.
Old 28 May 2011, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car alarm question

Well, apparently you do have an alarm so you need to find out how it works. Easy with the key fob, but you don't have it.

When you leave the car and lock the doors can you see a flashing red dot in the left hand gauge? It should blink pretty fast letting you know the system is arming itself. If so, when you come back to the car you'll have to open the drivers door first before opening the rear hatch. That will/should disarm the system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 May 2011, 12:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. I just went out and checked. Yes, when door is locked I see the fast blinking red light as you described, then it goes to slow continuous blink. After noting that I shook the PT hard, no alarm went off. I also tried the rear lid opening again, no alarm. And as I previously stated in my original post, today was the first time in a month the alarm sounded. I'm assuming there is a fly in the ointment somewhere? Your thoughts? Thanks. Peace.

Old 28 May 2011, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know why it didn't go off when you open the hatch this time. Shaking the PT doesn't do anything. There's no movement or glass breaking sensor. It's only activated with the lights and horn when a door or hatch or if you have an early model, when the hood is open. Chrysler did away with the activation switch on the hood after a year or two for cost saving.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 May 2011, 01:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ahhhh, learn something new everyday, did not know that about shake or break. And yes, why it doesn't sound when deck lid opened as had happened earlier is a mystery.

Wonder why they didn't alarm for shake or break, think that would be priority, not trunks and/or hoods. (which or course would fall under shake) Peace.

Old 28 May 2011, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had gotten out of the car and locked it. Wife opened the passenger door from the inside, the alarm went off, I stood there pressing the alarm and unlock button on the fob, finally got it to shut off I guess with the unlock button. Felt pretty foolish out there!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 May 2011, 06:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I had gotten out of the car and locked it. Wife opened the passenger door from the inside, the alarm went off, I stood there pressing the alarm and unlock button on the fob, finally got it to shut off I guess with the unlock button. Felt pretty foolish out there!!!!

Bought like me in Safeways parking lot I bet

Old 28 May 2011, 06:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

So, I'm guessing if I go in for a fob it'll probably run me a C note, although I do work for a dealership and may be able to get it cheaper. Anyone have to replace theirs? Cost?

Old 28 May 2011, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannesman View Post
So, I'm guessing if I go in for a fob it'll probably run me a C note, although I do work for a dealership and may be able to get it cheaper. Anyone have to replace theirs? Cost?
Check e bay for a fob!! They don't seem to be a C note.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 May 2011, 07:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mmmm, copy that Hooligan. I'll do some looking around before I commit to the dealership. Thanks. Peace.