PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question regarding static coming from speakers???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2011, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question regarding static coming from speakers???

When I listen closely to my tweeters I hear a lot of static, why?

I only hear it when I listen to my headunit through a cd and ipod connection but not through the radio...

I also have a headunit so would that contribute to it at all??

Just wondering...

Thanks!
Old 29 May 2011, 11:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Question regarding static coming from speakers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyler05 View Post
When I listen closely to my tweeters I hear a lot of static, why?
Could be a number of reasons....let's see.....................

Quote:
I only hear it when I listen to my headunit through a cd and ipod connection but not through the radio...
Are your CD's store-bought or burned copies?

If they're burned copies, you're probably listening to a badly recorded CD. If you're listening to the same songs on your iPod and hearing the same static, it could be the track itself that's low-quality.

However, this is a good thing. Since you don't hear any static when listening to the radio, we can conclude that it isn't a problem with the speaker itself.

Quote:
I also have a headunit so would that contribute to it at all??
I hope this is a trick question.......your headunit powers your speakers. Without a headunit, what good are your speakers?

Quote:
Thanks!
Np!
Old 29 May 2011, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for such a quick answer...when I said headunit i meant amp lol, my bad for the wording

What im trying to get at is that I think the static that I'm hearing is from the amp that refers to the THD, do you think that's it?

***THD at Rated RMS Power

I just rewired my headunit today too and checked all of the connections to see if they were good....

thanks
Old 29 May 2011, 11:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Your amp can attribute to that, but that THD (distortion) rating applies to how much distortion will be present given a certain wattage.

If your amp is rated at 100 watts per channel, and you're listening to your speakers at let's say....1/4th volume (on average the volume one speaks to another), your speakers are not seeing 100 watts. Your speakers are only demanding about 10 or so watts because the volume isn't that high meaning you're not pushing your speakers to do much which means the speakers don't have that high of a demand. It does take double the power though just to get a 3db difference.

Since you stated that you only hear static when listening to a CD or iPod but not when you listen to the radio, the only thing I would suspect is your source (IE CD and iPod).

You didn't answer my question. If I am indeed correct in what I stated, then it is indeed your source and nothing else. Though an improperly set amp (not talking about wiring/connections but I mean gains set appropriately/etc) then yes this distortion can be emphasized.
Old 29 May 2011, 11:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, i understand what your saying and I agree on that.

To clarify even more of what the static I am referring to, it is the static that I hear coming from the speakers when music is playing out of them and when it is not.

The static continues to come out of the speakers even when the Ipod is paused and/or the cd is paused, i can still hear the static....

So now I'm thinking that it is because my amp is improperly set, like you mentioned earlier...
Old 29 May 2011, 11:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

You mean more like a hiss/static?

A. Set your gains appropriately

B. Use quality (don't have to be expensive) interconnects between your amp and headunit. Quality-shielded interconnects will reject outside interference better than crappy wires.

C. If your head-unit outputs it's signal at a low voltage, then your signal is more susceptible to picking up interference as well.

Set your gains and if you still hear noise then check out Amp Installation Kits, HDMI Cables for your wire needs!

-Freddy

Edit: This was my lucky #777 post lol

Last edited by Kawizx9r; 29 May 2011 at 11:53 pm.
Old 30 May 2011, 02:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Kawizx9r hit it on the head! Also if your power leads are on the same side or close to your rca cables you may get interference between them.
Make sure your amp has a really good ground too!
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 30 May 2011, 02:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyler05 View Post
Thanks for such a quick answer...when I said headunit i meant amp lol, my bad for the wording

What im trying to get at is that I think the static that I'm hearing is from the amp that refers to the THD, do you think that's it?

***THD at Rated RMS Power

I just rewired my headunit today too and checked all of the connections to see if they were good....

thanks
Basically what was said. If I were you, I would turn your amp's gain down until it the white noise went away.
Old 30 May 2011, 09:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm leaning more toward bad ground problem. Try this: take a small piece of wire. Twist it around the ground (outer portion) of an RCA. Then attach it to a good ground.
Old 31 May 2011, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey huys,

So you were right on the turning down the amp gains, that did make the static go away but then it also decreased my sound volume a lot, which i didn't really want.

As for the rca cables and power wires, i did wire them on my car on seperate sides of the car to avoid that in the first place.

I will later today try and reground my amp in an effort to get that static to go away and still have loud music.

Thanks guys!

Tags
headunit, radio, static