Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
4 subs??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2011, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Default 4 subs??

i have two 12s in the trunk right now that kick my ass half the time... but the other half na. i wanted to add two more. is it at all possible to just cut two more wholes in that box and hold 4 subs??
Old 02 Jun 2011, 10:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 4 subs??

What kind do you have now.

And no that probably wouldnt work since you need the right cuft per sub as specified by the manufacturer.
Old 02 Jun 2011, 06:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt41 View Post
i have two 12s in the trunk right now that kick my ass half the time... but the other half na. i wanted to add two more. is it at all possible to just cut two more wholes in that box and hold 4 subs??

I was making a point on this message board; that it's good to always have overhead; and get a subwoofer / amp set up with slightly more watts than you need. This is one reason why. The other being that a stronger amp is upgradeable. I know many who have to keep buying new amps every few years, or when their taste increases; instead of just getting 1 that would meet all their current and future power needs and BE DONE.

To answer your Question; Yes you can cut wholes in the boxes and put in more subwoofers.

However, They will sound like garbage.

Subwoofers need to be placed in the correct box based on the manufactures specs.

For a 12" subwoofer a common Manufacture Spec will say something like:

Sealed .8 cubic (least) 1.0 cubic feet (ideal) 1.2 cubic feet (max)

Ported 1.0 cubic feet (least) 1.3 cubic feet (ideal) 1.6 cubic feet (max)

*So when matching a sub with a box; you need to go to the manufactures specs.

Good chance you bought your box with the subwoofers already in them; which is fine, but that hasn't given you the opportunity to learn about matching a box to a subwoofer.

Also, there is a good chance that you have Entry Level subwoofers. If 2 12"s are borderline not enough, they are certainly entry level, and 250 RMS watts each; for a total of maybe 500.

*I took a guess; please reply with the subwoofer make and model so we can verify.

Not all 12" subwoofer are the same in power handling. Also, most manufactures offer several lines of subwoofers. Entry- mid- high- competition.

*So saying "I have 2 MTX 12" subs" doesn't really explain what one has.

-------------

My advice:

Most 12" subwoofers use a 1.0 cubic foot box per subwoofer. You have 2 in the same box; so you more than likely have a 2.0 cubic foot box.

Buy some decent subwoofers. 250 RMS isn't alot; Look for 500-1000 RMS (not max)

You can get 1 12" subwoofer that is 1,000 RMS.

So the solution to your problem is not adding more garbage subwoofers; but, rather, replacing the garbage with some higher end subwoofers.

Now, before you get scared; Best Buy and places like that charge 200%-300% more than you can get them from a trusted ebay seller.

I don't work for anyone, or care who you buy them from. I will just show you a few examples, and strong recommendations....

PIONEER TS-W3002D4 12" -- 1,000 RMS -- $110-$140 online
Pioneer TS W3002D4 Champion Series Pro car subwoofer driver - 1000 Watt

NEW 2011 PIONEER TS-W3002D4 12" 3500 Watts SUBWOOFER | eBay
*$299 @ best buy or crutchfeild
Pioneer TS-W3002D4 Champion Series Pro 12" sub with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield Signature

Obvisously, you should get them for $130. There is like a 1% chance any piece of audio equipment may have a defect. Buying the $299.99 one doesn't lessen that chance. Many good ebay dealers have their own return policies. So I would recommend that.

Even so, you can buy 2 for the price of 1; so it's a no brainer.

*The Pioneer TS w3002d4 or Pioneer TS w30002d2 is just an example a high end subwoofer.

Buying 2 of these would be equal to 8 of yours. And they probably don't cost much more.

--

Here are others ones I would recommend in the 60-150 price range.
(Sort Price: Lowest First) 12" Subwoofers (RMS Power Handling: 801 - 1200*watts) | Car Subwoofers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

SPL SP3-12
2600W Max, 12" Dual 2 ohm SP3 Series Subwoofer
(Sort Price: Lowest First) 12" Subwoofers (RMS Power Handling: 801 - 1200*watts) | Car Subwoofers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

Absolute VI 2000.4
Boss Outcast L12
Pioneer TS-W3002D2

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 03 Jun 2011 at 07:13 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2011, 06:59 pm
Banned

It seams you are starting your education in car audio; which is awesome! Everyone starts some place!

Take a moment out and look at the "How To's" of the sound Forum. Don Crewzin put a ton of good info there for new guys like you to check out!

Old 02 Jun 2011, 08:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPtCruiser View Post
It seams you are starting your education in car audio; which is awesome! Everyone starts some place!
Me or bhunt? lol

"New guys" also points at me :P
Old 02 Jun 2011, 08:28 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeste View Post
Me or bhunt? lol

"New guys" also points at me :P

your advice was solid. I though I quoted bhunt in the article, which means i am replying to him.

Your advice was SOLID
Old 04 Jun 2011, 01:24 am
Banned

Hope old dude didn't go ahead and cut out 2 more holes, and throw some random speakers in them (even if they fit depth wise....)

Old 04 Jun 2011, 01:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

He usually doesn't get on as much as we do. I'll text him and let him know that he's got some reply's.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 09:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Yeah I hve the pioneer speaker and I was at best buys install bay the other day and was jokin with the installer and asked him to guess how many subs I had with my system cranked way up and he guessed atleast two lol. But ive only got one!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 04 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, a good system doesnt have to have 100 subs.