PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 Touring Edition - Installation Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2008 Touring Edition - Installation Question.

Hi guys ran into a small issue. On mt 2001 Limited edition the rear speakers where in the pillars and not in the rear doors as my 2008. First now i see why my 2001 sounded better, but it throws a wrench in the new installation. On the 2001 I was able to use the rears as my input source for my subs since they were in the pillars it was just easy to run the line down and I was done. Now with the rears in the doors.. ugh! On the 2008 I have the SAT/CD/ AM/FM, single not the changer one. What is going to be the easiest way to tap into a line to run it back to my amp?

R.I.P. Penny
2001 - Limited Edition - 234,067 + Miles
120,000 spark plugs Bosch Platinum 4
135,000 - Timing belt,
170,000 - Radiator
190,000 PCV and hose
200,000 Spark plugs Bosch Platinum IR Fusion
200,235 - Oil Sensor
Old 12 Jun 2011, 12:48 am
Banned

Default Re: 2008 Touring Edition - Installation Question.

I know what you mean. You "jumped" your subwoofer/amp set up off the signal provided in the rear pillars....

Now they are in the door, you could run wires all over the place; but that is messy, and won't sound as good as this next option...

This is the easiest way; and cheapest way.....

Get a head unit with 2 pre outs (specifically for the subwoofer)

2 pre outs are used exclusivly for your amp/subwoofers, and the head unit would allow you to modify your interior bass, and subwoofeer bass. Head Units themselves provide 15 RMS per channel; just as your OEM does....

This can be accomplished much cheaper than you may think.

This headunit comes with everything necessary for installation. Installation parts are unique per car; and this company will include it in the cost.

The cost isn't much at all.

Dual XD1222 In-Dash AM/FM CD Player with Front Panel Aux Input

$59 (free shipping, free harness, free dash kit)

It includes a USB port, so you can load up mp3 on a usb memory card, and bring it into your car; or you can use a mp3 payer in the head phone jack. Also it works with your Ipod.

This one also plays CD's.

------------------------

If you don't play CD's anymore, and use the USB port instead (why not) the same model is 10 dollars cheaper....

Dual XR4110 In-Dash MP3/WMA Car Stereo w/ USB, SD and Aux

----

If you are rocking a amp and subwoofer, I would strongly suggest getting a head unit that has it's own subwoofer Pre-outs. From there you can control your amp via your head unit.

--

***These two are the cheapest available, but based on customer reviews work very well!

If you ever plan to upgrade your interior speakers, and hook them up to a 4 channel amp; you may want to buy a head unit around the $150 range.

-

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 12 Jun 2011 at 12:54 am.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 12:53 am
Banned

But not the Best buy $150 range. That will get you a entry level head unit with less performance and features.

You can usually get the same head unit Best but sells for 40-50% cheaper on ebay, amazon or any other DEAL website..

Make sure to buy from a seller with 99% or better feedback; and you should be rocking and rolling in no time...
Old 12 Jun 2011, 01:16 am
Banned

Wink Re: 2008 Touring Edition - Installation Question.

or you can buy these.

These two speakers are expensive, yes; and many would think they are plated with Gold or something...

Focal Utopia Be No.7 6-3/4" 3-way component speaker system at Crutchfield Signature

This is quote on quote

"Beryllium: 100 times more expensive than gold

An inverted dome tweeter, made from pure Beryllium foil, lies at the heart of this Utopia Be speaker system. Lighter and stiffer than titanium or aluminum, Beryllium gives this tweeter accurate and crisp high-frequency response with a smoothness more like silk than metal. This dome reproduces frequencies far beyond the human hearing range, delivering the minute musical details and overtones that make music sound convincingly real."

I like it because it plays music outside the Human range of hearing. I know I can't hear it; but I would imagine it sounding soo good. And who wants their speakers to sound like they are made of metal? NOT ME, I prefer silk like a 1960's pimp's jacket.

And finally, it says it has details and overtones that make music sound convincingly real!!! That is awesome. I need some Convincing. My Grandfather is 104 years old, and can't ear a Truck Flipping over. But this speaker will convince him his Hearing is back! It's a Miracle.

Man, When I am done, I might melt it down, and give it to my son to give as his Engagement Ring. It's so magical for $5,499.99 for 1 set of speakers.

-

This is of course a joke, Gallo's humor; but some may argue these are worth it... instead of some, may I retract, and say; - very very very very few?

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 12 Jun 2011 at 01:24 am. Reason: Silk Jackets are Convincingly Real
Old 12 Jun 2011, 07:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoron67 View Post
Hi guys ran into a small issue. On mt 2001 Limited edition the rear speakers where in the pillars and not in the rear doors as my 2008. First now i see why my 2001 sounded better, but it throws a wrench in the new installation. On the 2001 I was able to use the rears as my input source for my subs since they were in the pillars it was just easy to run the line down and I was done. Now with the rears in the doors.. ugh! On the 2008 I have the SAT/CD/ AM/FM, single not the changer one. What is going to be the easiest way to tap into a line to run it back to my amp?
It looks like you are wanting to keep your factory headunit and all of it's creature comforts. You didn't say how you had it connected in the '01. Did you use speaker level inputs or a line output converter? To me, the easiest way would be to install a LOC behind the radio and run RCAs from there to the amp.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 08:48 pm
Banned

True, You can "Jump" it off the front speakers, rear speakers, or head unit

either way you get the same outcome.

Now I applied common sense; and since jumping it off the rear speakers was not convenient; I would imagine "jumping" it off the head unit itself, and buying additional wires would be LESS convenient

Now, if your enjoying the bennefits of a head unit; I don't think getting a head unit with 2 pre outs, dedicated to the subwoofer would be a bad idea.

It actually would sound much better! "Jumping it off the speakers/head unit, you don't get control over the subs.

The Headunit would give you specific boosts and controls over the subwoofer.

For $49 (out the door, no tax, free installation kit) it is a clear winner in a cost/bennefit analysis.

*and I don't see what benefit keeping the headunit stock has to offer. In Vintage cars for the 60's having a stock car is beneficial. But in a 2005, having a stock head unit is anti-beneficial.

BAAAAAM

But really, I recommend you get the $5,499.99 speakers.....

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 12 Jun 2011 at 09:04 pm.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Perhaps the OP is just not in the market for a new headunit and is actually happy with it. Or, maybe just doesn't have the funds for it at this moment.

Line out put converters are a common way to convert speaker output to rca. I don't see how running RCAs and remote turn on to the head unit (1 location) versus other speaker locations (2 locations) plus the remote turn on (2+1=3) would not be easier. The added benefit to doing it this way is that should you decide to change your radio in the future the RCAs and remote wire are already there. Ultimately the choice is yours.

If you are worried about added cost of buying parts to do this, don't. Line output converters are very inexpensive. you can usually find them at your local stereo shop or Radio Shack for under $10. You can get them even cheaper on ebay. LOC Line Output Converter SPEAKER WIRE TO RCA Hi to Low | eBay
Old 13 Jun 2011, 12:10 am
Banned

Dude, I totally don't understand your advice.

The car is not a classic car from the 60's or before, where the origional head unit is of value. It's a 2005!

The Dude Already bought aL

Mono Subwoofer Amplifier
A Subwoofer speaker
A Subwoofer Enclosure
An amplifier install kit.

-

With that investment; I don't think "jumping" it off the speakers nor head unit is worth it.

I, PERSONALLY, ran into this same problem with my Infinity G35x.

I had to jump my Subwoofers and AMplifer off the back speakers. The SUbwoofer didn't sound good at all.

The OEM head unit has not control over the Subwoofer; instead; it controls the cars interior door speakers the same as it does the subwoofer.

I gained little value by using a lowpass filter on the amp.

----------

For a person that has already invested in all the above, and has enjoyed a subwoofer (and is not looking to get rid of it, but keep it) I think it's more than appropriate to have the person get a Head Unit that supports the Subwoofer and Amp.

..............now for the head unit............

I was unable to upgrade my head unit; because of the unique dash kit made in wood finish. Nobody made a kit for an aftermarket head unit.

So I was stuck "Jumping" my subwoofer off the rear speakers, or off the head unit's "full-range" signal.

A Pre out for a subwoofer; and a headunit made to interact specifically wtih the subwoofer, treating the sub as it's own set of speakers is IDEAL.

If you, as I was forced to, "jump" your subwoofer off your "rear or head unit signal" you will have NO CONTROL over your subwoofers. When your INCREASE OR DECREASE the bass, the entire car including the subwoofer all go up or down together.

-

A Pre out is idea; and can be accomplished for under $50.

That will give a subwoofer listener a much better listening experience; and more control over the music.

Treating the Interior door speakers and the subwoofers as all the same is not Ideal, and not recommended.

----------------------

I am not going to argue with you dude. A head unit that supports a subwoofer is ideal, and isn't expensive.

The "Ghetto" way works, but sounds poor. Night and Day difference between having head unit subwoofer control.

WORD.

I got nothing else to say..... I recommend only GOOD things.....
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The FACT of the matter is that I stayed on topic in this thread. The original poster asked advice on connecting an amp to the factory headunit. I gave that advice. I did not post pictures of different headunits, pictures of my car that offer no technical assistance in this matter or pictures of speakers that, once again, offer no help in this thread. Please give the OP time to respond as to whether any of this has been any help to him.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:43 am
Banned

DO you recommend he get the 5,499.99 speakers?

All kidding aside; both will "work"

The Line in Rca will not give you quality or control over your subwoofer.

The Head unit will be of better quality, and give you control. I think this makes sense for someone who already invested in a:

Amp Install Kit
Amp
Subwoofer speaker
Subwoofer Enclosure.

-

The other way is more a a jury rigging solution....

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 13 Jun 2011 at 08:12 am.