Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front door speaker question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2011, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to OrlandoSB Send a message via Yahoo to OrlandoSB Send a message via Skype™ to OrlandoSB
Default Front door speaker question

Where is a good place to get them? I wanted preferably to get OEM or something that I can just unplug the old ones and plug in the new ones without BSing around with cutting wires and splicing. I already have instructions on how to remove the door panel and install....any input will be appreciated....
Old 19 Jun 2011, 01:09 am
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Front door speaker question

DUUUDE

SPLICING ONE POSITIVE AND ONE NEGATIVE WIRE IS 1/1000 EASIER THAN TAKING THE PANNELS OFF

GET SOME 25 $ 6.5'' DOOR SPEAKERS

AND SOME CHEAP ELECTRICAL TAPE
Old 19 Jun 2011, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to OrlandoSB Send a message via Yahoo to OrlandoSB Send a message via Skype™ to OrlandoSB
Default Re: Front door speaker question

True, but don't I have to take the door panels off to get the speakers out? (and the new ones in?)
Old 19 Jun 2011, 03:28 pm
Banned

To replace your speakers you do have to take of the Door Pannels.

Taking the Doors Pannels off requires you know what your doing, and have the right tools.

You will need to unscrew about 25 or so screws; and unsnap the hinges.

From there, disconnect the Door Handle Release.

It's not hard; but to take them off, and put them back on, it might be a 1-2 hour job.

Splicing a speaker wire is the least and easiest of your problems.

-

But if you want OEM speakers that bad; I will give you mine. I replaced my door speakers, and I have the OEM door and rear pillar speakers.

If you want them, you can have them.

This is how easy connecting wires is.

Old 19 Jun 2011, 03:29 pm
Banned

General Idea of how to remove a car door pannel
Old 19 Jun 2011, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I know how to splice wires, just thought it would be better to use the plugs already there. I figured taking the door panel off would be a pain in the neck so I'm gonna wait till I have an entire day to do this.
Thanks for the offer on the speakers but I was thinking I should get something a little heavier-duty than stock speakers? The ones in there now are blown so I don't want to mess up new ones if I happen to crank it up....
Old 19 Jun 2011, 08:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If you order from Crutchfield the speakers will come with the harness adapters so you wont have to splice anything.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 12:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

It appears from your avatar, that you have a 2001-2005 cruiser.
Removing the door panels is easy. There are two torx screws in the door pull-arm rest, one philips in the center of the interior door handle and three screws around the perimeter of the panel. The triangular trim at the front of the window is pulled off (two clips).
At that front corner, I then (using my fingers, you can use a trim tool, screwdriver or butter knife) begin to pull the panel loose from the door- it has numerous plastic pop-pins holding the panel to the door. Once loose, the panel is pulled up to release the top edge, the door handle is un-clipped from the linkage (and, if you have power door locks, the wiring is disconnected).
The OEM speaker is held by three (4?) screws and has a simple wiring connector.
Ten minutes and the panel is off and the speaker is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoSB View Post
Thanks! I know how to splice wires, just thought it would be better to use the plugs already there. I figured taking the door panel off would be a pain in the neck so I'm gonna wait till I have an entire day to do this.
Thanks for the offer on the speakers but I was thinking I should get something a little heavier-duty than stock speakers? The ones in there now are blown so I don't want to mess up new ones if I happen to crank it up....