PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Series wiring for polk speakers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Series wiring for polk speakers

Hey guys,

I don't get enough volume out of my speakers right now so I'm wiring my polk db6501 front component speakers in series and my rear polk db571 the same. I have Kenwood KAC-6404 amp that puts out 40 watts.

Will this series wiring help me get a louder system??????

Or can I even do it with these speakers of mine????

Polk Audio db6501 6.5" 2-way Component Car Speakers System (db 6501)

Kenwood KAC-6404 4-channel car amplifier 40 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

Polk Audio 5" x 7" Speakers | Car Speakers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

Anyways....Thanks!!
Old 21 Jun 2011, 02:41 pm
Banned

Default Re: Series wiring for polk speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyler05 View Post
Hey guys,

I don't get enough volume out of my speakers right now so I'm wiring my polk db6501 front component speakers in series and my rear polk db571 the same. I have Kenwood KAC-6404 amp that puts out 40 watts.

Polk Audio 5" x 7" Speakers | Car Speakers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

Anyways....Thanks!!

The power comes from the amp:

Your options with that amp are:

4 ohms: 40 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 60 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged: 130x 4 (65 each)

Your wiring should look like this:

You will put a 2 ohm load on your amp; so you will get more power to your speakers.

You will get about 65 RMS per Series instead of 40.

The Cons out weigh the pro's:

Pros:
*More power

Cons.
*Sound quality is cut in half (4 ohms to 2 ohms)
*The wiring job may be a pain in the @$$ (you have to connect to speakers together
*You lose your fader option.

-----

This amp here is twice as powerful as yours. You could simply plug and play, and get 75 per channel CEA certified; at 4 ohms; with out any of the Cons mentioned above.

---

Power Series 4-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan

Google

Jensen Power760 | eBay

Amazon.com: Jensen Power760 4-Channel 760 Watt Amplifier (Grey): Electronics

$74
Old 21 Jun 2011, 08:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyler05 View Post
Hey guys,

Anyways....Thanks!!
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. It looks like the db6501 is a component set with passive crossovers. The wiring should be + and - output from the amp, to the + and - input on crossover. Then there should be seperate outputs on the crossover for the mid and tweeter.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 09:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPtCruiser View Post
The power comes from the amp:

Your options with that amp are:

4 ohms: 40 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 60 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged: 130x 4 (65 each)

Your wiring should look like this:

You will put a 2 ohm load on your amp; so you will get more power to your speakers.

You will get about 65 RMS per Series instead of 40.

The Cons out weigh the pro's:

Pros:
*More power

Cons.
*Sound quality is cut in half (4 ohms to 2 ohms)
*The wiring job may be a pain in the @$$ (you have to connect to speakers together
*You lose your fader option.
I'm a little confused with what you are saying as well.
The amp is rated
40w x4 @ 4 ohms
60w x 4 @ 2 ohms
130w x 2 @ 4 ohms

So, if he wires the Polks in parallel as your drawing states he will be down to 2 channels @ 2 ohms. The amp isn't rated for 2 ohms bridged. Not to mention it would change the crossovers a bit.

Mstyler, if you would like to get more power from what you have. You could bridge the amplifier and use it on just the front speakers. this way the amp would give you more power to these speakers and you keep your fader control. This is the way the speakers in my car are done, I'm very happy with it.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm
Banned

Wink Re: Series wiring for polk speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpt View Post
Mstyler, if you would like to get more power from what you have. You could bridge the amplifier and use it on just the front speakers. this way the amp would give you more power to these speakers and you keep your fader control. This is the way the speakers in my car are done, I'm very happy with it.

Its 40 x 4 @ 4 ohms

60 x 4 @ 2 ohms.

120 x 2 @ 2 ohms

So I am not confused what you are confused about Low.

I also went over how that will lower the sound quality.
And how to do what he asked; wire them in Series.
--
Mystery5: I would imagine you have some sort of Polks, or after market speakers in the rear; since you have a 4 channel amp. If not; why do you have a 4 channel? Did you get it from someone? I assumed you bought the 4 channel amp on purpose, because you also have 2 speakers you wish to amp in the rear pillar.

LowPT was right; that you can fade the front and Rear, it won't be 50/50 like they are now. But He didn't give you the whole store; instead just said he is happy with it...

Bridging the front Only will create a huge imbalance between the front and rear. Instad of 50/50; it will be more like 90/10

This is how to bridge wire the front two speakers.

Pros: More Power

Cons: Fader becomes virtually useless, because you won't hear the rears.

---------

mstyler05 what speakers do you have in the rear is the main question? I would imagine something being you have a 4 channel amp.

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 21 Jun 2011 at 11:07 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys,

So right now I have my speakers wired in parallel and they dont get a lot of power or just dont put out enough noise for me, that's why i wanted to rewire them.

In the rear i have the 5x7 polk ones that i posted above and in the front i have the db6501 component ones.

I did buy the 4 channel amp, that i listed above, to power all of my speakers but then found out that two of those channels only play the low notes, i think its the A channel??

So all I use is the B channel, or other channel, and but all of the front on one channel wired in parallel, and the rear on the other wired the same.

So my question to you guys is should i rewire it somehow or am i doing something wrong?....if not should i just buy a new amp that puts out more rms per channel???

Thanks!!!
Old 22 Jun 2011, 01:33 am
Banned

Exclamation BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Filter and A

Off . HPF

HPF means High Pass filter. On Filter A, you can either set it to Off, in the middle is Means FULL RANGE, and HFP means you cut all the bass from the music.

Filter B
Off . LPF

*Channel B can be used as either a Subwoofer amp, Notice the Channel B is the only filter to have 2 filters. One for gain, the other for Frequency.
Those are bass frequencies numbers that you want to 'cut' from the signal
Low Pass Filter means only the Low or the Bass is being let through.

For your purposed. you should have both A and B in the middle, as for Full Range Speakers.
If you move B to the LPF, all the words and music will be cut out; only the bass will remain.
On A if you move to the HPF option all the bass would be eliminated.

*If there are only 2 options, and not a middle one (it's not labeled, so I am not sure) put them both on OFF, meaning the LPF is off in B, or the HPF is off is A.
*Make sure you turn the Input Sensitivity know all the way to the right.
you want your Sensitivity to be on 0.2 which is the highest for that amp. If you have it on 5, it (all the way to the left) it will put out the least output as possible.

FINALLY; If all of those don't work; THEN, yes, get a new amp. You can get a good 4 channel amp, CEA certified for $75. Then It's OOOH YEEAAA Time!
Jensen Power760 | eBay

But trouble shoot what I told you first.... Then see if there is any return policy. I would try to get store credit. You don't want another one of these. This is not a good amp for your speakers. Way under powered!

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 22 Jun 2011 at 01:44 am.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I am happy with the front having more power than the rear because the rear is designed to be "fill" and not powered the same as the front.

It looks as though your rear speakers do not have a passive crossover included. If this is true, here is what I suggest you try.

Connect the front speakers to the channels with the LPF option. Turn the LPF off. This will give you full range but your components have crossovers to block lower frquencies.

Next, connect your rear speakers to the channels with the HPF. Set the switch to HPF. This will provide an adjustable crossover for the rear.

Tags
polk, series, wiring