Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HPF and Cutoff Frequency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2011, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HPF and Cutoff Frequency

Okay, I can't seem to get my brain around this. I've searched for explanations and even the ones I find don't make sense to me.

My Pioneer P7000BT has 2 settings to redirect the bass. It has a High Pass Filter and a Cutoff Frequency Setting.

How do I use these settings to properly setup my sub? All I want is low frequencies redirected to my sub (prolly 80hz and lower).

Sorry for being so dense.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 02:57 pm
Banned

Default Re: HPF and Cutoff Frequency

High Pass Filter Means only the High's will pass; (no bass)

Low pass Filter Means only the Lows will Pass (no highs)

Many amps will have also a Full Range option, or "No Filter" which plays all Lows, Mids' and Highs.

I use a High Pass Filter on my Interior Speakers set at 100 hz. So my interior speakers won't play Sub-Sonic Notes that my Subwoofer Plays

For my Subwoofers; They have a low pass filter on them set at 100hz. So my subs will play only music 100 and below.

--Which you are calling a Cut off Frequency rate; are you sure that isn't a sub-sonic filter?

That means it won't allow the music to play below a certain frequency. If that is what it is; set that around 35-40hz. Or check your subwoofer Specs; and see where their range is. It might be something like 20hz-150hz.

Cut it a little above the range. I cut my at 35, and install the cars I Install

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 26 Jun 2011 at 03:03 pm.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do you think the 'cut-off frequency' is just a low pass filter?

From the manual:

Quote:
Adjusting subwoofer settings

When the subwoofer output is on, you can adjust the cut-off frequency and the output level of the subwoofer. When the subwoofer output is on, you can
select SUB W2.

1 Display the audio menu. Refer to Introduction of audio adjustments on page 42.

2 Use MULTI-CONTROL to select SUB W2.

3 Push MULTI-CONTROL left or right to select cut-off frequency. Each time MULTI-CONTROL is pushed left or right, cut-off frequencies are selected in the following order: 50—63—80—100—125

4 Push MULTI-CONTROL up or down to adjust the output level of the subwoofer. Each time MULTI-CONTROL is pushed up or down, subwoofer level increases or decreases. +6 to –24 is displayed as the level is increased
or decreased.
The HPF is self explanatory - it filters the low frequencies from the front and rear speakers. I set that at 80hz to keep lower frequencies from the mains.

What I do not get is the cut-off. Does this mean that if I set it at 80 hz, the sub stops playing frequencies around 80hz?

I'm thinking (as I'm writing this) that I can set both at 80 hz and the overlap will be about right.

I ran some sweeps today with my trusty SPL meter and it looked pretty good. I think I got it close. Then I CRANKED Judas Priest's British Steel CD and it sounded good.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 11:58 pm
Banned

Wink Re: HPF and Cutoff Frequency

OK.

Your HPF is your your interior speakers that you can control through your head unit.

Your Cut off is basically your LPF, or low pass filter.

Set your HPF for your interior speakers at either 80 or 100.

Get your Cut off (aka LPF) at 100hz

If you have a setting where you can focus your bass on; I like to keep mine at 63 for deep house music; and 80 for rock music.

Lower is deeper
Old 27 Jun 2011, 03:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

The cutoff frequency is a more general term for the point at which a signal is 3dB down relative to the range of frequencies that are passed through a filter.

For a highpass filter, the cutoff frequency is the frequency at the bottom of the passband where the signal is reduced 3dB. Frequencies above this point are allowed through the filter while frequencies below this point are attenuated more and more as you get further away from the cutoff.

For a lowpass filter the cutoff frequency is the frequency at the top of the passband where the signal is reduced 3dB. Frequencies below this point are allowed through the filter while frequencies above this point are attenuated more and more as you get further away from the cutoff.

A treble control is a gain (level, volume etc) control for a highpass filter while a bass control is just the opposite, a gain control for a low pass filter.

Another setting you may see in some crossovers is a slope control. This determines how quickly the frequencies are rolled off as you move away from the cutoff frequency.

For an infrasonic filter (commonly mis-called a sub sonic filter, sub-sonic means below the speed of sound, infra sonic means below audible hearing range. Most people know it as subsonic though), you want a really steep rolloff to cutout as much inaudible signal as possible so it doesn't rob your amp of power. In really high power sub installs they may down to 10Hz or lower even though you can't hear it, you can feel it!
Old 27 Jun 2011, 05:39 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03electricbluegt View Post
. In really high power sub installs they may down to 10Hz or lower even though you can't hear it, you can feel it!
O yea, that is my situation. I might name my PT Cruiser EarthQuake