Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Troubles with Factory Radio/CD Player

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2011, 07:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Troubles with Factory Radio/CD Player

I have a 2002 PT with the factory am/fm/CD player and have been having problems with it lately. When playing audio books (which I do alot, since I do alot of driving), when I eject the CD's, they are almost hot enough to fry an egg on. A CD will play for a while, then I will get an err message and it will stop playing. Looking at the cd, I can't visually see any reason for this. The front faceplate of the radio also gets very hot, after only being on a couple of minutes.

After I ejected a cd the other day, the time on the digital display kept flashing, and it eventually lost the time setting. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with their factory radio? What was the cause? What other Chrysler model radios would be interchangeable with mine, since I can never seem to find any PT's at the local salvage yards?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer,

Steve
Old 01 Jul 2011, 08:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Troubles with Factory Radio/CD Player

A 2002 PT with the factory am/fm/CD player.....
Are the audio books on burnt cds?
If so I do know other people with the factory radios that have problems playing burnt cds. Try a different brand of burnable cds.
Some times cd players can be finicky with media.
Did you try a cleaning kit for the player?

On another note, I do believe Caravans, sx2.0s and other Chrysler vehicles of the 2001-05 era have the same connectors [except for the antenna, you may need an adapter for some] and should be a direct replacement.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Last edited by chigger_ns; 01 Jul 2011 at 08:08 am.
Old 01 Jul 2011, 10:02 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to jccc
Talking Re: Troubles with Factory Radio/CD Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
I have a 2002 PT with the factory am/fm/CD player and have been having problems with it lately. When playing audio books (which I do alot, since I do alot of driving), when I eject the CD's, they are almost hot enough to fry an egg on. A CD will play for a while, then I will get an err message and it will stop playing. Looking at the cd, I can't visually see any reason for this. The front faceplate of the radio also gets very hot, after only being on a couple of minutes.

After I ejected a cd the other day, the time on the digital display kept flashing, and it eventually lost the time setting. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with their factory radio? What was the cause? What other Chrysler model radios would be interchangeable with mine, since I can never seem to find any PT's at the local salvage yards?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer,

Steve
indeed i can help
remove the horrid nasty oem head unit
and fit a nice upto date sony are alpine unit instead
as thay will play all kinds disc,s / cd ok also if you get 1 with a usb port on the front
you can most likely put all the audio book on to a memory card / dongle / stick .
my usb memory stick ive got over 64 albums on it so no need to carry cd,s
Old 01 Jul 2011, 02:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would guess something with a heat sink internally as it should not get that hot. You can pick up used radios on ebay cheap or ask here as a lot have changed out factory units (seen them for $30 and less) and its simple to remove and replace.

Heres one with a best offer: 02-04 Dodge Dakota Durango Radio Cd P05091506AD * | eBay

Funny how anytime someone ask anything about the factory radio, the first thing that is said rip everything out and buy aftermarket.

The first question should be do you want to retain the factory look and function. Some people want to keep it as it came from factory. But if you dont care about any of that, then go ahead and change the headunit out as they are a lot more features available out there

Last edited by xwing777; 01 Jul 2011 at 02:39 pm.
Old 01 Jul 2011, 03:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccc View Post
indeed i can help
remove the horrid nasty oem head unit
and fit a nice upto date sony are alpine unit instead
as thay will play all kinds disc,s / cd ok also if you get 1 with a usb port on the front
you can most likely put all the audio book on to a memory card / dongle / stick .
my usb memory stick ive got over 64 albums on it so no need to carry cd,s
I always tend to agree. And for more than one reason.

A decent head unit is about $150 from sonic electronics; and they come with a USB port.

I have a cheap 4g USB port; and it holds 37 full length albums.

The little external, portable; size of your thumb usb drive is equal to a 37 CD Changer.

ESPECIALLY if you like audio books.

Look; today you shouldn't be buying CD's or paying for music. Even blank CD and burning music is obsolete.

I am not saying to do this; but i know many people that get all their music; audio books; movies; etc right here..

The Pirate Bay - The world's most resilient bittorrent site
--
music;
movies:

Again, I am not saying to do this; but this is why people moved from CD players a long time ago.

they use bit torrent to download the file into a mp3; or a mp4; or a movie file;
Download - BitTorrent - Delivering the World's Content

When you see you can get everything for free; the price of a new head unit with a usb port becomes very attractive