PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
custom subwoofer

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2011, 12:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default custom subwoofer

I recently did an upgrade on my stereo in my 03 Touring and thought I would share some info. First I wanted to add a sub but didn't want something too big, just enough to fill in the bottom of my music. I found a guy on Ebay who makes custom sub enclosures. He sells on that fits under the front seat(either side) and has an 8 inch Kicker CompVT driver. He sells it with or without an amp and wiring kit. His Ebay ID is Rodneyt74. I was amazed at how much thump this little sub puts out. Its perfect for a vehicle this size. I can't imagine you guys with 2 15's in the back!! I think the price is not too awful bad either $167.00 without the amp and wiring. I bought the whole kit with an amp and wiring kit. It came with a Kicker ZX200.2 amp so it is good quality stuff not some cheap junk. It was $299.00 for the loaded box, amp and wiring kit. I also went with Infinity Kappa 6 3/4 components in the from doors. I did alot of research before I bought. Crutchfield priced them at @$249.00 and said they would not fit the PT Cruiser. I found them on Amazon for $126.00 including shipping and Amazons fit selector said they would fit. They fit fine with the included Chrysler 3 hole adapter ring. Without the ring they just hit the very bottom of the window, with the ring there was just enough clearence for the glass. For the rear pillars I went with Infinity Kappa 6x8 two ways. Again crutchfield wanted $139.00 and I found them on Amazon for $74.00 including shipping. I powered the fron and rear with an Infinity reference 475a amp that pushes 90 watts x 4 at 2 ohms. I have a Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit that has an onboard 16 band equilizer and adjustable crossovers for the front, rear, and sub outputs as well as adjustable BBE circuitry. Lastly I added a 2 farad digital capacitor to keep the lights from dimming and to take some of the strain off the charging system. Over all I have a really clean sounding system with areally good bass thump and I saved a bundle by shopping around and not just ordering from Crutchfield.
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 09:25 pm
Banned

Default Re: custom subwoofer

Making custom subwoofers is fun.

I know a dude that tried it before.

You will make a lot of mistakes before you start to make something decent.

-

By the time you pay for a driver; a cone, and the time to make it; you might be better off buying one that is mass produced.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 03:13 pm
Banned

Did you get one or two subs?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 05:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPtCruiser View Post
Making custom subwoofers is fun.

I know a dude that tried it before.

You will make a lot of mistakes before you start to make something decent.

-

By the time you pay for a driver; a cone, and the time to make it; you might be better off buying one that is mass produced.
I think he was just saying how pleased he is with his purchase of a custom enclosure.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 12:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Speaking of know it all...
Old 09 Aug 2011, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Did you get one or two subs?
Hi I got one to start with to see how it worked and also to see if it was of good quality. I was amazed at how much this one 8" sub puts out. At this time I am not even thinling of adding another one, although another one could easily be added under the passenger side seat if I take out the storage drawer.
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpt View Post
I think he was just saying how pleased he is with his purchase of a custom enclosure.
H Low, Yes I purchased this from a guy named Rodney in Tenn. He sells on Ebay. I thought about building one myself but decided to go the faster route. Rodney makes custom enclosures for many makes and models and the one I got is very high quality. I definately recommend him. Its a single 8 " sub so it is not going to blow your windows out or "crack your dash" like someone else said their system did, but it fills in the low freq nicely and you could put 2 in if you wanted more low end.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 05:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadjmon View Post
H Low, Yes I purchased this from a guy named Rodney in Tenn. He sells on Ebay. I thought about building one myself but decided to go the faster route. Rodney makes custom enclosures for many makes and models and the one I got is very high quality. I definately recommend him. Its a single 8 " sub so it is not going to blow your windows out or "crack your dash" like someone else said their system did, but it fills in the low freq nicely and you could put 2 in if you wanted more low end.
I'm glad you are pleased with your purchase. I'm really sorry that Sgt. never could understand that everyone's music tastes are different. If he would have just answered people's questions and not tried to sell them on buying equipment they didn't want/need, a lot of arguments could have been avoided.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 06:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like a nice setup.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 09 Aug 2011, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Low and Rckt. You're right Low. The Sgt gave some great advice on where to shop for deals, but I usually didn't agree on his choice of equipment. I'm 51 and don't care to rattle windows 10 cars ahead at the red light. I wanted a nice system with enough power and a really clean sound and thats exactly what I put together. The Infinity Kappas are the cleanest, sharpest sounding car speakers I have heard with having to pony up for Focal or Pioneer Stage 4's. The 6 3/4 components were a little tight(especially putting the large Tweeters in the mirror cover panels) but with a little work they fit fine and the soundstage is awsome. I've been checking out your install posts - Very Nice Work. Rick