PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Radio Update plus odd question?

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
Default New Radio Update plus odd question?

Ok so I have had the new unit for a couple of weeks, I get to spend an hour every morning and an hour every evening, going to and from work, the 8 hours in between not so much fun. So anyway i get to listen to alot of music and I will say that compared to the stock system I am light years beyond the stock head unit.

I have plenty of bass, the stock door speakers and dash speakers are not too bad, I would like to know how to change out the door speakers. But I miss the mids and highs from the rear if that makes sense. My 2001 had the pillar speakers which maybe why I feel this void in the rear. Has anyone put any mids and highs in the rear for this reason or am I just weird, well more than normally suspected?
__________________
Spooky
2008 Touring Edition 26,000 Miles


R.I.P. Penny
2001 - Limited Edition - 234,067 + Miles
120,000 – spark plugs – Bosch Platinum 4
135,000 - Timing belt,
170,000 - Radiator
190,000 – PCV and hose
200,000 – Spark plugs Bosch Platinum IR Fusion
200,235 - Oil Sensor
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2011, 01:27 am
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 415
Wink Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

Also that head unit is only pushing maybe 15 rms per speaker.

you can get a decent 4 channel amp that will push 75 RMS (CEA CERTIFIED) per speakers.

75x4 RMS

Then I would get a pair of door and rear pillar 75 RMS speakers.

This is the 4 channel I would recommend

Get the Specs here
Jensen Power-760 (power760) 760W Max, 4-Channel Amplifier

Buy it amazon/ebay

Jensen Power 760 | eBay

$75 bucks

--

for speakers; The Alpine Type S are 80 RMS each; and cost about 60 a pair.

Front Doors
Alpine Type SPS 600C | eBay

Rear Pillars
Alpine Type SPS-507 | eBay

$75 amp
$60 Alpine type S 6.5 door speakers
$40 Alpine type S 5x7 rear pillars
--
Total $175 = kick ass system


BAAAAAAAAMM

Last edited by SergeantPtCruiser; 31 Jul 2011 at 01:32 am.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2011, 07:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 607
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

I would start with the amp for the front speakers and rear doors. Then upgrade the factory speakers. After this is done you shouldn't notice there aren't any speakers in the c-pillar.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2011, 04:07 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 415
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

I have a 2001

does the 2008 have front door; rear door; and rear pillar speakers?

if that is the case; replace the closest 4 to the driver.

but if your rear pillars are blown like you said; replace those and the front doors.

Peace

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2011, 04:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 607
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPtCruiser View Post
I have a 2001

does the 2008 have front door; rear door; and rear pillar speakers?

if that is the case; replace the closest 4 to the driver.

but if your rear pillars are blown like you said; replace those and the front doors.

Peace

I was thinking the 06 and up had no c-pillar speakers. That the opening is in the bodywork but not in the trim. But, I could be completely wrong also. Someone that has one of the newer cars can answer.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2011, 05:06 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 157
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

My 2007 only has the door speakers and the dash speakers...no c-pillar speakers. I have not taken the trim pieces off to see if the opening are behind them or not.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2011, 06:02 pm
xwing777's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Taylorsville NC
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpt View Post
I was thinking the 06 and up had no c-pillar speakers. That the opening is in the bodywork but not in the trim. But, I could be completely wrong also. Someone that has one of the newer cars can answer.
This is correct. The holes are still for there for speakers but nothing cut out in plastic. Someone a while back tried changing the plastic out for the older models. Requires all the rear plastics to fit back correctly not just the speaker covers alone.
__________________
.
2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

First thing I found was the fade on the headunit was not configured incorrectly, think that big hillbilly was being bugged by his wife for spending so much time on the car, poor guy. Who would figure that turning those knobby thingy’s would make so much of a difference.
I was already set to test a theory, so took my surface mount speakers that I use for the scoring computer at the RC track, they are pyramid, 600 watt max prob 30 watts rms each. So I sat them on the speaker box with an old 400 watt amp. After I did that it was like I was in a movie theater, or more like my living room. I had clean crisp sound from all around.

So this confirms my issue, now the speakers SergeantPtCrusier suggested for the rear pillars are an option, however replacing all that trim, or cutting the trim to install a grill for the speakers is a little scary, if someone has done this I would love to see it.

Option 1 – buy another pair of the pyramids, they are nearly the same size as the rear head rest, put my head rest covers on and you would never know they were speakers.

Option 2 – surface mounted, or low profile speakers on the rear hatch. I thought about this as I was working in the garage and had the radio playing, I would not have to open the doors to hear the music, for some reason my rear hatch is always open when I go to the garage.
__________________
Spooky
2008 Touring Edition 26,000 Miles


R.I.P. Penny
2001 - Limited Edition - 234,067 + Miles
120,000 – spark plugs – Bosch Platinum 4
135,000 - Timing belt,
170,000 - Radiator
190,000 – PCV and hose
200,000 – Spark plugs Bosch Platinum IR Fusion
200,235 - Oil Sensor
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 Aug 2011, 05:43 pm
WolfmanG's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,495
Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

since i've wrapped my rear pillars i can tell you that there are no speakers back there. I think theres a cut out pattern on the inside of the pillar so if some one needs/wants to put speakers back there, they will have to cut into the pillar. Honestly, that's proly what i'm gonna do in the future.
__________________
-Danny Wolfman G
http://www.facebook.com/WolfmanG
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02 Aug 2011, 06:49 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 415
Default Re: New Radio Update plus odd question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoron67 View Post
First thing I found was the fade on the headunit was not configured incorrectly, think that big hillbilly was being bugged by his wife for spending so much time on the car, poor guy. Who would figure that turning those knobby thingy’s would make so much of a difference.
I was already set to test a theory, so took my surface mount speakers that I use for the scoring computer at the RC track, they are pyramid, 600 watt max prob 30 watts rms each. So I sat them on the speaker box with an old 400 watt amp. After I did that it was like I was in a movie theater, or more like my living room. I had clean crisp sound from all around.

So this confirms my issue, now the speakers SergeantPtCrusier suggested for the rear pillars are an option, however replacing all that trim, or cutting the trim to install a grill for the speakers is a little scary, if someone has done this I would love to see it.

Option 1 – buy another pair of the pyramids, they are nearly the same size as the rear head rest, put my head rest covers on and you would never know they were speakers.

Option 2 – surface mounted, or low profile speakers on the rear hatch. I thought about this as I was working in the garage and had the radio playing, I would not have to open the doors to hear the music, for some reason my rear hatch is always open when I go to the garage.
So you have Rear Door speakers and Front Door Speakers right; and the rear pillars are a b*tch

Options 3:
Well a 4 channel amp will let you power 4 speakers.

If the rear pillars are to much work; and you have rear door speakers, replace those along with the front door.

Those Alpine Type S are a great value. You can find 6.5" speakers for $50 a pair. They are a quality brand; and handle 75 RMS.

Look through that sonic electronics catalog; the alpine type s are the best value for 75 RMS. *buy from ebay/amazon, who ever give you the best deal.

sonic is generally 20% more than ebay. But sonic is generally 50% off of Crutchfeild or Bestbuy.

Get ya 2 pairs of them of Alpine Type S's, and that 75 RMS x 4 Jensen amp for $75 bucks.

you will have 4 nice speakers, powered correctly by a CEA certified amp.

If you want to spend more; you can of course; but this is the best value I can find right now....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Installation Question bjagd02 Sound and Security Forum 9 08 May 2011 04:22 pm
06 PT Convert sat radio question andybuzz2u PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 2 07 May 2011 12:26 am
2007 Standard Radio Question nat Interior Accessories Forum 6 29 Nov 2007 06:10 am
Radio question gonzomania Sound and Security Forum 1 15 Jan 2007 02:47 pm
Radio/cd changer control question RIvey Sound and Security Forum 1 27 May 2006 02:49 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors