PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front 4 ohm component speakers rear 2ohm coaxial in a 5 chanel amp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2011, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Front 4 ohm component speakers rear 2ohm coaxial in a 5 chanel amp

Hi greetings from Puerto Rico
Its my first time posting but have been reading and learning from the forum for some time its really helpful and addictive. I have 05 PT limited, Im looking to upgrade my sound system so this is what I have right now

Amp. Crunch P1 5000.5
Power One Series 5-Channel Class A/B Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 62.5 watts x 4 chan. + 150 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan. + 250 watts x 1 chan.
Bridged: 250 watts x 2 chan. @ 4 ohms + 250 watts x 1 chan. @ 2 ohms
MAX Power Rating (14.4V):
4 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 250 watts x 4 chan. + 500 watts x 1 chan.
Bridged: 500 watts x 2 chan. @ 4 ohms + 500 watts x 1 chan. @ 2 ohms
Crunch P1 5000.5 (P15000.5) 1300W Power One 5-Channel Amplifier

Sub. Pioneer TS-W302R in a sealed box
12" Single 4 Ohms Champion Series Subwoofer
Power Handling:
Peak: 800 watts
RMS: 150 watts
Pioneer TS-W302R (tsw302r) 12" Single 4 ohms Champion Series

I have order the Polk Audio db6501 component for the front, they should arrive this week

Power Handling:
Peak: 600 watts per set / 300 watts each side
RMS: 200 watts per set / 100 watts each side
Polk Audio db6501 6.5" 2-way Component Car Speakers System (db 6501)

In the rear, well here is where the questions arise Im planning in the future to get a mono class d amp with a new sub so I will be using the Crunch amp as a 4 channel for the front and rear speakers, since I already have u sub and will be replacing it in the future for at least one 12 subwoofer with 600RMS( I already have some idea of what I want from reading extensive previous posts) in the future for Im looking for the front and rear speakers to have overall good treble and highs, the speakers I have right now they are not relevant since they are going to be replace and they only give 40RMS.

Ok, getting back on track I was looking to buy the Infinity Kappa 682.9cf for the rear because of their great reviews and appraises of their high notes
Power Handling:
Peak: 600 watts per pair / 300 watts each
RMS: 200 watts per pair / 100 watts each
2 ohms impedance
Infinity 682.9cf 6" x 8" 2-way Kappa Series Speakers

So here is the problem this are rated 2ohms, if I put this I will have a 4ohm load in the 1,2 (front speakers) and 5 channels(subwoofer) and a 2ohm in 3,4 channels(rear speakers)
So:

Can the amp have 3 channels with a 4ohm load and 2 channels with a 2ohm load?

If yes, what are the cons and pros?

What other options would I have for the rear speakers?

Sorry for any misspelled words and badly written sentences, English is not my first language.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 03:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Front 4 ohm component speakers rear 2ohm coaxial in a 5 chanel amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeofeville View Post
Can the amp have 3 channels with a 4ohm load and 2 channels with a 2ohm load?

If yes, what are the cons and pros?

What other options would I have for the rear speakers?

Sorry for any misspelled words and badly written sentences, English is not my first language.
Yes, you should be able to run the rear channels at 2 ohm. The con part of this is that the lower resistance will put more power to these speakers if all of the settings are the same. But, if you are happy with the choice of amp and speakers you can overcome this by simply adjusting the gain on the amplifier or the fader on the headunit.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 05:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thought it was weird as i haven't ever seen any auto 2 or 3 way speakers run 2ohms. So went to there site and it is actually seeing 4ohm.

From their website http://www.infinitysystems.com/:
"True Four Ohms All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance seen by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit."

So basically you don't have to worry and can hook them up like you normally would in a 4ohm setup.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick response

Xwing i look to the Infinity web page and for what you said, is that the speaker is really a 4ohm but the amp will recognition as a 2ohm. What Im concerns is of the amp for having and unbalance whit 3 channels at 4ohm load and 2 channels at 2ohm. I know that Crunch is not a great brand and is not CEA approved but Im sure they give at least 50RMS at 4ohms for the speakers channels the amp has been working great since i have been under powering the amp whit the 40RMS from the front and rear speakers i have right now and pairing it whit a 150RMS sub which sound great but the sub is overpowering the speakers, that's why Im looking to upgrade the speakers i listen to a lot of electronic music especial industrial so a lot of bass is really important for me, still i need a some good mids and highs.

Still I would like to hear some other options for the rear speakers whit good mid and high notes.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 07:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. The way I read it, they have intentionally used lower resistance coils to account for "impedance rise" . As it stated the resistance of a speaker varies while being played.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 07:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not sure what your saying but im betting that speaker, since it has 2 drivers have a 2ohm load on each and are wired in series to have 4ohm load on it at the terminals.

So each of them are rated at 4ohm, not 2ohm so your amp setup is fine as it is now.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the confusion whit the language barrier and the technicality. Im not too educated in the matter
So the amp will see the speakers as 4omhs and will give and autput of 62watts RMS on every speaker as stated in the specs of the amp. And Infinity are kind of miss leading since i looked all over the web and in the specs of the Infinity Kappa 682.9cf in all places it said its 2ohms