Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I built something to hold my wires!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2011, 02:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default I built something to hold my wires!

So now that I got a capacitor (eh it was cheap and it adds more flashy boxes in the trunk) i found I had wire mania in my hatch area... This is no good for when I go to RTTB!

So i decided I was going to build a box... My original Idea was t have the amp and cap recessed in the box.. But my sub enclosure is much to big for that... So I decided To build a box and mount the amp and cap ontop of the box and run the wires underneath the box...

So to home depot I went! Now, i have no carpentry experience and all I have is a drill, hand saw and some determination! So I got some wood and wiring things I would need to get this job done.. (i got all the wood off this cart they called the color cart, its unused or bent wood. So all the wood used for the box only cost me under 3 bucks!)

So I built the box yesterday and sat it in my trunk next to my sub, perfect fit!

Next I decided to get fancy and took extra wood peices and painted them, red for positive, white for remote, and black for negative. Then I mounted some thing that I can put my wires into so I wont have to crimp them or anything. And itll look cleaner.

After that I carpeted the box. This was the hardest of all and some of my edgest arent perfect but its fine to me. Atleast I did it myself instead of it being made in china...

Now my next stepis to mount the amp and cap and run the wires. This will make my hatch look much nicer and ill let everyone know when im done as ill write a blog post on my website as well as update my pickled pt chronicles thread in the general discussion area

As for where the carpet came from, About 3 months back I ripped all the carpet outof all the pts in the local yards... I knew id need it for something! So I pulled out a peice from a hatch area and cut it to size. Heres the carpeted box in my trunk so you can see how much better it looks since the colors match.

(dont mind my dog seen in the background. Shes in heat right now and shes flagging over anything that moves... Ugh..)

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: I built something to hold my wires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
So now that I got a capacitor (eh it was cheap and it adds more flashy boxes in the trunk) i found I had wire mania in my hatch area... This is no good for when I go to RTTB!

So i decided I was going to build a box... My original Idea was t have the amp and cap recessed in the box.. But my sub enclosure is much to big for that... So I decided To build a box and mount the amp and cap ontop of the box and run the wires underneath the box...

So to home depot I went! Now, i have no carpentry experience and all I have is a drill, hand saw and some determination! So I got some wood and wiring things I would need to get this job done.. (i got all the wood off this cart they called the color cart, its unused or bent wood. So all the wood used for the box only cost me under 3 bucks!)

So I built the box yesterday and sat it in my trunk next to my sub, perfect fit!

Next I decided to get fancy and took extra wood peices and painted them, red for positive, white for remote, and black for negative. Then I mounted some thing that I can put my wires into so I wont have to crimp them or anything. And itll look cleaner.

After that I carpeted the box. This was the hardest of all and some of my edgest arent perfect but its fine to me. Atleast I did it myself instead of it being made in china...

Now my next stepis to mount the amp and cap and run the wires. This will make my hatch look much nicer and ill let everyone know when im done as ill write a blog post on my website as well as update my pickled pt chronicles thread in the general discussion area

As for where the carpet came from, About 3 months back I ripped all the carpet outof all the pts in the local yards... I knew id need it for something! So I pulled out a peice from a hatch area and cut it to size. Heres the carpeted box in my trunk so you can see how much better it looks since the colors match.

(dont mind my dog seen in the background. Shes in heat right now and shes flagging over anything that moves... Ugh..)
Why do you think you need a capacitor?
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

I didnt think I needed one, I just got one anyway... I figured it woukd be useful perhaps and that it would add another element to my hatch. My lights werent dimming or nothing, i just felt that with the speed a cap charges and discharges that itd be useful for a big bass drop since occasionally my sub would want so much power on some songs that the whole system would just shut down from a low battery.

Ive done the big 3, so my next step is still to get a bettery battery and H.O alternater. But as I said, the capacitor wont hurt anything and I got it on ebay so I didnt pay out the butt for it lol, I think its a 10 farad, but who cares, itll just be there to help if needed.

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I didnt think I needed one, I just got one anyway... I figured it woukd be useful perhaps and that it would add another element to my hatch. My lights werent dimming or nothing, i just felt that with the speed a cap charges and discharges that itd be useful for a big bass drop since occasionally my sub would want so much power on some songs that the whole system would just shut down from a low battery.

Ive done the big 3, so my next step is still to get a bettery battery and H.O alternater. But as I said, the capacitor wont hurt anything and I got it on ebay so I didnt pay out the butt for it lol, I think its a 10 farad, but who cares, itll just be there to help if needed.
I specifically don't have one because I think the thing is a safety risk. You can nearly weld with a 1 farad cap, and if one of the bigger ones blows from overheating or shitty construction it can be like a freakin M80. I found that just redoing most of my grounds around me engine (see a bit of that in the thread labeled where to ground in this forum), and back to the hatch area ironed out most of the issues in this vehicle. I found that a cap could sometimes exacerbate an electrical issue. It doesn't really help at all, since power moves at the speed of light, if your amp sucks in 80A, it will all come from the battery, all you do is phase shift the draw a little. (the voltage will be maintained for a short period, then the draw is over, and the battery draw will actually be even MORE than the amp would draw, just happen a millisecond or two later). See you have to charge that thing too. I'm much more of the opinion that you should put in a couple dozen amp hour gelcells in the back, rig up charging and that way your amps run off the batteries, completely isolated from the loud horribleness of the +12V of the car. Just some thoughts.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 06:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

capacitors have been a hot topic for years but there are thousands allready in cars for a reason. To store voltage and apply it when needed.

If done correctly there is a place for them in car audio as well. The response time is much quicker than a battery can deliver but there not intended to replace them. They can also lessen the strain on the electrical system by reducing peak demands (sometimes this is enough to prevent the pulsing light issues but doesnt really fix the core problem of it).
Old 29 Aug 2011, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well i think the capacitor is a wise investment seeing as I got it off ebay vs paying a god awful amount on ebay. Yes, some folks think capacitors are the answer to every issue with electrical problems in a car. And thats what the associates at any audio place will tell u cause its pure $$ in their pockets..

But if you can get a 1 farad or more on ebay or some other site from a reliable seller then I think its okay to have. I do agree that with shotty assembly or rigging it all wrong can cause huge electrical issues but when done right i think it could only help. Aslong as you take the time to also upgrade grounds and such.

Wth my current battery (oem replacement) I could only blast my stereo for a minute before my low batt switch would turn off my amp. Now with the cap I can blast it at a car show Or whereever (i barely turn my sub up at all usually) and I can blast it for a longer period of time. Im still going to do a h.o alternator and A bigger battery (and prob one in the trunk) but for now until funds are available this will work..

And with the way ive set up my box, none of the wires will cme close to shorting one another and everything will be ziptied and safe.

Edit: let me add that my hardwired inverter is also running through the cap too, this will solve an issueive been having forever to get my gimmick to work. (more on that later!)

Last edited by Dill; 29 Aug 2011 at 07:51 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 08:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
capacitors have been a hot topic for years but there are thousands allready in cars for a reason. To store voltage and apply it when needed.

If done correctly there is a place for them in car audio as well. The response time is much quicker than a battery can deliver but there not intended to replace them. They can also lessen the strain on the electrical system by reducing peak demands (sometimes this is enough to prevent the pulsing light issues but doesnt really fix the core problem of it).
Anothe part of this discussion is that if the electrical is not up to the task of the current draw of the stereo, the altenator is trying to keep up with the capacitor charging and discharging, which eventually leads to altenator failure.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

In the end, isnt my box a beauty?! Lol ive never built anythin in my life folks! Anyone think I did an okay job? Lol

Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
In the end, isnt my box a beauty?! Lol ive never built anythin in my life folks! Anyone think I did an okay job? Lol
I think we all are waiting to see it finished.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Lol, i wanted it done today but i ran out of the screw I need to mount the amp so ive gotta buy some tomorrow then once I mount it all ill drill the holes and route the wires and finally after 2 weeks of waitin I can have my sub back!