Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
iPod/Radio questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2011, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default iPod/Radio questions

Hello I am new here and had a couple of questions, if you all would be so kind to humor me!

I have an 06 PT Cruiser, it's pre-loved but new to me and I'm trying to learn lots about it! One thing I'd love in the car would be the ability to hook in my iPod.

I searched the forum first before posting yet another message regarding an iPod hook up option I found some helpful posts about kits with a harness etc. But I also read that something can be plugged into the actual radio. I've attached a photo so you all know what I have. The Aux is what I believe you all were talking about. Is that the little hole on the left there under the volume? If I buy that Aux plug system am I able to control the iPod with the radio controls? And does it charge the iPod?

And it seems like a lot of people are putting in new stereos. Can't say I blame you the stereo is pretty sad... Since it has that plastic decorative accent piece (I'm not sure what to call it but it is snazzy) that is molded around the factory stereo-are there gaps where the factory stereo was? I was just looking at it today and realzied how the plastic was curved on each side of the knobs for the tuner and the volume-and I thought crud that would look bad if I put in a new stereo and it was just straight on those sides! But now seeing that a lot of people have done it, I'm sure there must be a way to do it right!

Honestly I'm looking for something that isn't too crazy expensive, but that I could use the iPod with and all the information I've already found has been helpful-but would appreciate any other advice you all may have!

Thank you!
-Sara
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt_cruiser_radio.jpg (65.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 10 Sep 2011, 03:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: iPod/Radio questions

HELLO, SARA, from SO CALIF, I would try CRUTCHFIELD 1-800-555-8151 They were very helpful to me I also have 2006 A TOURING EDITION, I added a JVC RECIEVER it came with a wire harness and trim piece that fit perfect around the radio knobs. instructions were great step by step with pictures. ALSO the customer service was the best in the business. HAVE FUN WITH YOUR NEW RIDE

Last edited by ALBERT; 11 Sep 2011 at 02:29 pm.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

That AUX connector is for ipod or anything else yu plug into the headphone jack. But it will not provide any charging or the titles, artist, etc...

If your wanting to more than just listen to an ipod, then you would need to change out the factory radio to an after market unit.

Crutchfield can help you with this. While they may be higher on stuff, they will walk you through anything you need, provide all the parts to complete the installation and will honor all warranties. and even have a 60 days return policy even if you just don't like it.

If none of the above applies to you and your experinced enough to handle everything, then you can find the same items cheaper on ebay, amazon etc...
Old 10 Sep 2011, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also note that the Aux jack is not amplified, which means that the audio volume will be cut by 3db, which is the half-power point. This is done to protect the front end on the amp in the radio unit. I tried playing my iPod through mine for a couple of years and just decided it was time for a new head unit. Sounded terrible, now sounds wonderful.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

The PT cruisers factory hole will nicely fit a 1 DIN unit. Factory is a 1.5 din head.

The link shows how to cut the dash to fit a double DIN.

Sara, to fit an aftermarket unit you use this thing, which fills the curved edges very nicely.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...D&ved=0CAoQrhI

The little slot is stupid IMO - way too skinny to fit anything in there.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I love the way my install kit filled in the empty spaces, and the slot is where I store my iPod, it slides back so you can't see it and no one knows its there as it is wired up the back side of the head unit.

Now no offense to anyone here, but no cheap crap goes in my PT, and no gaps, wholes, or duct tape for any mod I do. It's either done right or not done at all. Again, not meaning any offense to anyone, you may not be as OCD as I am about my PT, I just won't do anything to it that isn't professional. Anyone can use shoestring and bubble gum to put crap together, but it still ends up crap. Me, no crap in my car!!!!

Old 11 Sep 2011, 02:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

HELLO, CHROMENUT, Your install kit looks great, On my 2006 my install kit also fills in great, however mine does not have a open slot just below the radio knobs. I would like to have that open slot. What brand is your kit? Thanks for information and pictures.

Last edited by ALBERT; 11 Sep 2011 at 02:54 pm.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 08:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for the info, tips, and pictures. My better half has put 2 harness type setup iPod things in the last 2 of his vehicles, so I think we may be looking to do that.. hmm decisions, decisions...

Thanks again!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 11:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used

Metra Part # 99-6507 | Chrysler Dodge Dash kit | Metra Online

The slot is good to hold map, or Ipods or remote controls. ( like TV, GPS, Radio DVD ). Yes I put in all 3 and a shark fin TV antenna to replace the XM radio antenna.

They also sell adapter plugs so you can splice into the wires on the adpater and leave everything else original so if later you sell the car you can just pull the adapter and reinstall the original radio.

Last edited by GhostFlyer; 16 Sep 2011 at 11:34 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2011, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey, Chromenut

If you dont mind me asking what stereo is that in your PT? i just got mine a few months ago its a 2004 and it doesnt have an AUX inport to plug my ipod into. My friend just put a new sterro into her car but doesnt have a PT and said there isnt any made for a PT Cruiser.

I was just wondering if you knew where i could find a stereo with an AUX made for my car? I dont want there to be any gaps and i like the way yours fits and looks.