Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Apline Sub.....Need Amp Recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default New Apline Sub.....Need Amp Recommendation

So I picked up an Alpine Type-E 10" sub yesterday. From what Ive gathered, its 750 peak wattage. I dont want to blow $300 on an amplifier, but I do not want a cheap-o amp that isn't going to put out the BUMP from my sub that Im looking for either.

So what do you recommend, and from where?

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 22 Sep 2011, 08:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New Apline Sub.....Need Amp Recommendation

I got a bunch of stuff from OnLineCarStereo.com great prices and a large selection. There is also a 5% discount floating around...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 22 Sep 2011, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One of the biggest audio places for online and catalog shopping is Crutchfiled.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 09:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I was just talking to my alpine rep today in my store. He was talking about the type E subs. He told me himself that one should take care not to feed the subs too much power as the type Es are not really a hefty subs. I wouldnt get any higher than a 500 watt amp @ 4ohms make sure u also get the proper sized box for that sUb as well, for maximum boom.

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 23 Sep 2011, 12:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Heh I am running 550W to each sub from my 1100W 2-channel amp. I am under powering them by 50W each and have the gains slighty turned down on the amp. So generally I can run them at 92% if I wanted to not sure what percent after amp gains turned down.

Currently though with what I have if I turn it all the way up to the 92% my roof and rear window will rattle...
Old 23 Sep 2011, 07:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

But arent u running type R's? Type E's are alpines entry level speakers (or atleast thats what the alpine rep told me!)

He said, quote, "you always want to sell type S speakers as the bottom of the line, but if someone insists on saving money you can tell them about the type E's which are better than a paper cone but much less reliable than the type S'. If the want to move up go to type R's then to type X's"

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 23 Sep 2011, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
But arent u running type R's? Type E's are alpines entry level speakers (or atleast thats what the alpine rep told me!)

He said, quote, "you always want to sell type S speakers as the bottom of the line, but if someone insists on saving money you can tell them about the type E's which are better than a paper cone but much less reliable than the type S'. If the want to move up go to type R's then to type X's"
Are you saying I just purchased a sh*ty sub?
Im not looking for the 3 cars behind me to hear my bass, just me and my passengers.

Ive been looking at 300-500W mono amps.
Apline makes a 500w Mono amp that ive been looking at, but Im curious as to wether It be ebst to go multi-channel JIC I decide to change out the stock speakers too.

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 23 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

The Type-E should certainly do the job of bringing some extra base. Considering I drive with my subs at a 15-20% gain most of the time. I could turn them all the way up but that isn't too pleasant for me. Honestly I dont need all that extra bass but I just like having it if someone wants me to crank it.

Looking at the Type-E the RMS is at 250w while the peak is at 750w. So you will have plenty of bass to play with. Dill was just saying there is different levels of subs as there are with amps.

The sub you are tossing in is actually better than the ones I started with and they had plenty of bass for me for me to enjoy. I just happened to over power them a lil too much... >.>

The amp I am currently running isnt a high end amp or anything like that I bought it for 50$ at a Black Friday sale lol... Its a Crunch 1100.2 and it does its job. =)

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 23 Sep 2011 at 01:05 pm.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 01:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

After re-reading my last post, I came off like a dick to Dill... I apologize there.

So really any 500W amp will do the trick just fine?

Old 23 Sep 2011, 02:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well the sub your getting is 250w RMS which is your sustained usage and it peaks at 750w. I am not an expert at audio but wouldn't you want to only stay within the RMS rating?

Like with my setup my amp is pushing 1100W bridged @ 4Ohms to two woofers which equals 550W X2 @ 4Ohms. My Type-R's are 4Ohms and have a 600w and a 1800w peak each. So when I mentioned earlier that I am powering them at 92% I was mentioning the RMS rating as I currently push 550w/600w to each woofer.

From Crutchfield (We usually recommend that you drive your speakers/subwoofers with at least 70% (70-100%) of their maximum RMS (not peak) rating to get them to perform at their optimum. The closer to 100% you power them, the harder they hit and the better they sound.)

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 23 Sep 2011 at 02:53 pm.