Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Audio upgrade w/ original PT equip '01 to '05

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2011, 06:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Audio upgrade w/ original PT equip '01 to '05

So I am at my local pick-a-part in search of replacement speakers for the doors in my daughters '05 project PT. One front speaker is quiet, the other has marbles in it, one "tweeter" gargles. The jy is full of '01 cruisers but not much else. A learning moment here, find a car with CD and LEATHER and they probably have a better sound system from the factory. My old door speakers literally fell apart when I unscrewed them. Broken plastic trash, the jy speakers were metal and labeled 'Premium' on the back. CUT THE WIRES OFF at the jy because the connectors will have to be soldered in. When I went back, to CUT THE WIRES OFF, I took the rear speakers from the same vehicle and the tweeters. Now we have original six speaker sound for about $25. Sound system is the least of this cars issues.
But on to my question, while I was there I scooped out a am/fm cd unit to replace the non-cd player I have. $40. Turns out the '01 CD player has about 3 times as many wires on the back as my current radio. I was thinking original equipment wire harnesses should be compatible, my bad. Will an '05 cd player plug and play? Are the factory harnesses so different that my original harness will never drive an original equip. cd player?
Old 13 Nov 2011, 09:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Audio upgrade w/ original PT equip '01 to '05

I know the '01 radio is different from other years because it was on the first model PTs. It has the 3 band Equalizer. '02-on have the 2 band equalizer.

I have an OEM CD/Tape Radio (2 band) out of my 2002 PT Cruiser Touring in Excellent Condition. Also Have all the OEM Speakers incld dash Tweeters. If you want to purchase any of them, let me know.

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s