PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Noise Control?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2012, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Noise Control?

I am in the process of updating my sound in the PT and would be interested in thoughts/comments etc from our forum Community.
I purchased a 50sq ft bulk pkg of FatMat Xtreme 80ml and it is sold as sound deadener and dampener. On another forum that I participate i was quickly told that it is not a deadener and will not help in overall sound improvement but only dampen areas that move-like door panels. WTF-opinions pls.

Thanks in advance
turbodog

p.s. I am using it regardless-just want others opinions.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Noise Control?

I used it in one of my cars, the biggest improvement came from the door shins, but doing the floor helped too. I have no vibrations or rattles at all from the sub. A huge job, but it helps.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply-I have got the floor from hatch to back seats and up to roof done. The doors are particularly difficult-how did you do yours? I am taking a short break to install 4 new door speakers and new dash tweeters and the new Clarion head unit and then back to the deadening.

turbodog
Old 12 Jun 2012, 11:38 am
Cool Cruiser

I did the outer skins by removing the door cards and a bunch of the stuff that was in the way including the power window motors. I just taped he windows in place. I also did some of the inner door skin as well. This was on a Mazda 3 GT, not the PT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
Thanks for the reply-I have got the floor from hatch to back seats and up to roof done. The doors are particularly difficult-how did you do yours? I am taking a short break to install 4 new door speakers and new dash tweeters and the new Clarion head unit and then back to the deadening.

turbodog
Old 02 Aug 2012, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have yet to do the PT since I just purchased it. My last ride however, was a Trailblazer, and I did the entire roof with AlphaDamp. All I can say is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! The sound quality just from the roof coverage was night and day.

2002 Silver Limited.

Audio Install

Rockford Amps
2 - RE SeX D412 Subs
Alpine Components
Old 03 Aug 2012, 03:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

thats true for the most part. This type of material is designed to remove vibrations/rattles fromt the metal/plastic/etc..pieces you put it on. It will basically make it dead sounding if you thump on it.

If your wanting to quiet down (sound proof) you will need to add a different type of material (think foam/carpet pad type material) A cheap trick is to use polyfill in the big cavities out PT's have. You can get big bags at walmart and just stuff as much as you can using hand, stick, etc..

Did this one the wifes and you would not believe how quiet it is now. Some use spray foam but personally i do not like on a car im going to keep for a long time as it is permanet and can break up causing sqeaks long term. The poly fill you could remove if you wanted later.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 06 Aug 2012, 04:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Noise Control?

Mainstream retail, like Car Toys, will sell you Dynamat Extreme which is extremely overpriced and a mediocre damping product.

I went with a product made by a company called Second Skin Audio...called Damplifier Pro...in total....I used a little over 140 square feet of Damplifer Pro throughout my PT Cruiser...I covered the entire flooring of the car and the roof of the car....including the rear tire wells, double coverage of the tire wells and then using a product called Luxury Liner Pro on top of the Damplifier Pro....luxury liner pro is combination of a vinyl tye rubber coupled/melted with a layer of closed cell foam.

I also did all the doors, including the rear hatch door. On the four doors, I covered the inside cavity of the door frame twice...the outer portion of the doors twice again to make a nice seal of each door frame....following that, I added a black closed cell foam varying depending on where I needed less foam for when I was going to reattach the door panels...thickness of the black cell foam used was 1/8 inch and 3/8 inch....once the adhesive spray dried the door panels were then reattached.

All in all...140 square feet of Damplifier Pro.....54 square feet (9 sheets) of Luxury Liner Pro....and about another 45-54 square feet of black closed cell foam either in 1/8 or 3/8 inch thickness depending on what was needed in each location.

Strand
Old 06 Aug 2012, 09:49 am
Cool Cruiser

All that work and no pictures....?