Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Aftermarket horn installation need help

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Aftermarket horn installation need help

I found an air horn that I want to replace my OEM with. It only requires 12 volts. Do I just use the stock wiring or do I need fuses/relays? Please help me out! Thanks in advance!

Ps. I have a 03 pt cruiser non turbo
Old 05 Jan 2013, 12:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Aftermarket horn installation need help

It depends on the power requirements of the air horn. Some information about it would help?
mityqwik likes this.

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
MODS http://ptcruisernetwork.com/forum/in...opic,16.0.html
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other SO the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 05 Jan 2013, 12:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Is it an airhorn with an air tank and compressor or just one of the little 2 red horn jobs? Are you hooking up in place of your stock horn? If you are hooking up a compressor then you have to run wires the correct way using the stock horn button as the trigger. If you are installing the little red(or whatever color) plastic horns then you can just hook it up to your stock horn wires in front of the car in place of the stock horns. Your new horns should come with instructions. Good luck.
mityqwik likes this.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 05 Jan 2013, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
Is it an airhorn with an air tank and compressor or just one of the little 2 red horn jobs? Are you hooking up in place of your stock horn? If you are hooking up a compressor then you have to run wires the correct way using the stock horn button as the trigger. If you are installing the little red(or whatever color) plastic horns then you can just hook it up to your stock horn wires in front of the car in place of the stock horns. Your new horns should come with instructions. Good luck.
It is just the small compressed with the two small horns
Old 05 Jan 2013, 06:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That little compressor will have 2 wires 1 hot and 1 ground(should be black) Just tap the hot wire into the wire from your stock horn and put the black to a ground. Should be very easy.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 05 Jan 2013, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
That little compressor will have 2 wires 1 hot and 1 ground(should be black) Just tap the hot wire into the wire from your stock horn and put the black to a ground. Should be very easy.
You forgot to mention a relay? If it has a small compressor the amp draw may be greater then the oem horn wire circuit can carry? I am sure the kit he got has one if not it is a wise investment to install one.

needmoretoys I always get a kick out of your user name since I joined always think "How true" !!
oh and my best friend since High school calls me Lenny LOL

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other SO the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Jan 2013 at 06:32 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2013, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys! I installed it about an hour ago and I installed another relay just to be on the safe side. Sounds awesome!
Old 06 Jan 2013, 12:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngmaninanoldmanscar View Post
Thanks guys! I installed it about an hour ago and I installed another relay just to be on the safe side. Sounds awesome!

Got pictures.... auh ..... ytube of the sound?

I have been thinking the same thing to upgrade the oem myself horn. I mean wow, I blow the horn and people look at the person riding the bicycle next
to me ?

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jan 2013, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

Got pictures.... auh ..... ytube of the sound?

I have been thinking the same thing to upgrade the oem myself horn. I mean wow, I blow the horn and people look at the person riding the bicycle next
to me ?
Ill put up a vid of the sound today sometime. It was really easy to install right under the fender in between the mud flaps. Yeah I got sick of my bike horn. Picked this one up at harbor freight for under $20 it sounds awesome!
Old 06 Jan 2013, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngmaninanoldmanscar View Post
Ill put up a vid of the sound today sometime. It was really easy to install right under the fender in between the mud flaps. Yeah I got sick of my bike horn. Picked this one up at harbor freight for under $20 it sounds awesome!
Oh ya....

I would like to hear them on your PT!
12 Volt Super-Loud Air Horn

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
horn