Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding 2nd battery to rear of Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2013, 10:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Adding 2nd battery to rear of Cruiser

No doubt someone on here has added a second battery to their cruiser for audio/video installed in the car. My question, with the second battery located in the rear of the cruiser how did you go about keeping it charged. Will the OEM alternator take care of two batteries. Already have cable run for amps inverter, etc. and considering a second battery because of the constant drain when running system.

Can anyone provide some info on the best way to handle this.

Thanks

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 17 Oct 2013, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Adding 2nd battery to rear of Cruiser

I do dual battery(or more) conversion and always use an battery isolator.

Something like these? Although a 90 amp will do I recommend at least a 140amp or more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140-AMP-DUAL...9dcca2&vxp=mtr

kit for instalation
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-AUXILLA...f5f380&vxp=mtr

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Oct 2013 at 12:12 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 08:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Looks like a good idea, Thanks

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 30 Dec 2013, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm sure you have already investigated the battery isolater. Sure Power Industries makes these as well...And for a LOT less than what the one was on eBay. I think I paid around $60 for mine.

As an Amateur Radio Operator, I needed the 2nd battery to power my equipment so I wouldn't drain the primary battery. Now, (as my wife INSISTS!!!) there's something wrong with the installation, after using the same set-up for 10+ years. I have been having battery issues lately as well, and trying to see what I could find on here.

(Go to work when it's dark, lights on, 13 miles to work...not enough time to charge battery)

I have mine mounted in the engine compartment, towards the passenger side of the coolant reservoir.

If you have any questions about installation, feel free to ask.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 12:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMilty View Post
I'm sure you have already investigated the battery isolater. Sure Power Industries makes these as well...And for a LOT less than what the one was on eBay. I think I paid around $60 for mine.

As an Amateur Radio Operator, I needed the 2nd battery to power my equipment so I wouldn't drain the primary battery. Now, (as my wife INSISTS!!!) there's something wrong with the installation, after using the same set-up for 10+ years. I have been having battery issues lately as well, and trying to see what I could find on here.

(Go to work when it's dark, lights on, 13 miles to work...not enough time to charge battery)

I have mine mounted in the engine compartment, towards the passenger side of the coolant reservoir.

If you have any questions about installation, feel free to ask.
Sorry but what issues are you having? A few more details are needed to see what I can recommend towards helping you.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Jan 2014, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2nd battery in the back charges fine as well as powers my equipment. Early November, when it was cold, my car wouldn't start. As this battery was replaced in August or September, I took it back to WalMart for replacement as they (after 2 hours) found it defective.

I have tested the Sure Power isolator voltage readings, and they are all within specs.

I drive a little over 13 miles (17 minutes) each way for work, 5 days a week. Plus 2 normal trips (15-20 minutes each way) weekly, and whatever trips or errands we have to do. Most of the driving is done before or after daylight, so my lights are on.

If the car sits more than a day, especially when the temperature is below 35 degrees, I will have to jump start it almost every day. So, as I have been off work the last week, I haven't had to go out. Sure enough, when I needed to go somewhere, the car battery was dead.

I have disconnected the 2nd circuit at breaker in the back, and when I knew I had to go out, I would place battery on charger beforehand.

Wondering just what might be pulling the battery down over night.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

1. Load test your battery
2. Load test your secondary battery
3. Check you charging system with primary battery only. (disconnect secondary battery from the system)
4. Check you charging system with primary and secondary as a system.

If all tests are positive then you problem is the battery isolater. It may be drawing from your secondary battery which will drain the primary battery. This sometimes can happen even if the isolator is good if the batteries are not matched during installation of them. As a rule I will try to replace all batteries at the same time and try to date code match them if possible. Obviously this is not always necessary or economical and every situation has variables.

My guess for your problem is to replace the battery isolator.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Jan 2014, 04:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Adding 2nd battery to rear of Cruiser

Quote:
I took it back to WalMart for replacement as they (after 2 hours) found it defective.
There's always a chance that could be your first problem;People don't jokingly call them 'NeverStart' for nothing!,and it's funny how most of their 12 month batteries,go bad around 13 months.lol
Most people running any kind of high draw/or deep cycle car electronics,normally end up going with Optima batteries.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nitro, I have time off till Monday, so I should be able to go through the test procedure again. No, batteries weren't matched, using deep cycle battery for radio equipments, and at $125, not feasible to replace at this time.

Randy, the new wally world battery was purchased only because my Napa battery died and wasn't a Napa store close, and Walmarts are all over US, so I was hoping I'd be safe.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a refund and try something else. Any suggestions?
Old 01 Jan 2014, 09:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Adding 2nd battery to rear of Cruiser

Quote:
Walmarts are all over US
That's the main reason I use them at all,even in a state as BIG as Texas.....Your never very far from a Walmart!