Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remote start OL-RS-CH5, any info?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2014, 10:52 am
Young Cruiser

Default Remote start OL-RS-CH5, any info?

I'm looking at remote starts and one that caught my eye is the Omega OL-RS-CH5 module. It's vehicle specific(Ish), comes with a T Harness for easier install and it works with the factory alarm. You can upgrade to 2 way or extended range or even mobile phone control on it too. It's also only $75 for the base unit.

It also handles the bypass electronically and overall it sounds like a nice basic add-on. I had one that functioned similar in a 05 Neon and loved it. You use a pattern with the factory remotes to start ... lock-lock-lock or lock-unlock-lock etc.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions/reviews/horror stories about that model?

If you do, please share.... if not, expect a review coming soon as I think I am going to get it, LOL.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 11:00 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Remote start OL-RS-CH5, any info?

I suppose links might help, huh?

Omegalink - OL-RS-CH5

I plan to get it from KICKYRIDE.COM, Security | Remote Start | Keyless Entry | Performance since they will pre-program the thing to match the application. Usually you program it yourself with a $40 add on to let your PC talk to the alarm.

Their description is wrong but the device is correct for the 2007 PT.

OL-RS-CH5 [OL-RS-CH5] - $74.99 : KICKYRIDE.COM, Security | Remote Start | Keyless Entry | Performance
Old 26 Jan 2014, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Troy,

Good luck with it. I have no information with what your about to buy. All I can say is that whenever someone comes to this forum (about 10 owners a day or more) and there's some sort of electrical problems, probably 5 out of 10 say that had remote starts, power windows or door locks or some fancy alarm put onto their car and if it can be un-connected, the problem goes away.

If you have a 2006 to 2010 PT Cruiser, my suggestion would be NOT to install the remote start. The electrical system (CAN-BUS) is too sensitive to anything added to it to try and mess with it. But that's just my opinion ...and I see you added a post saying you have a 2007.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Jan 2014 at 11:19 am.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 11:12 am
Young Cruiser

I think I will risk it... I agree that the can-bus system sounds like a fickle, temperamental beast but I have to at least try.

My wife loves the car...except the lack of a remote start ("Like the Neon").

After 10 days car shopping that I really don't want to go through again I have to try it, LOL.

If it screws up something, hopefully just a disconnect will fix it and I'm only out the $75.

Confirmed, it's a 2007 Touring

Last edited by TroyO; 26 Jan 2014 at 11:15 am. Reason: Added car info
Old 26 Jan 2014, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, at least now that you know (CAN-BUS) that it is fickle, if something electrical starts to go haywire, you'll know the first place to look. Actually, the first place to look is the battery, that causes things to go nutty also, then look at the remote start.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 11:38 am
Young Cruiser

LOL, battery was just bought 3 days ago.... because it was acting crazy. Start 3 times in a row, then click-click-click the next, then start fine, then click...

It is a little frustrating... the 05 Neon was mostly easy-peasy, the transponder was the only "fiddly bit" and that just programmed like a key does.

It just seems like it's going the wrong direction... with the more modern style comm system, it *should* be a matter of "Plug in this module to activate Remote start. That will be $150 please". The module plugs in to some port, announces itself to the PCM and the PCM changes config to accept the new capability and off you go. Maybe you install some software via USB or something too.

Oh well, maybe by 2050 cars will be as smart as a 1990's PC.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 02:01 pm
Young Cruiser

I pulled the trigger, I'll post a review of the install and the results.

I never did find PT related reviews, but there were some on a Cummings diesel forum where several users had installed them and all reported easy installs and "It just worked" results.

Crossing fingers..
Old 26 Jan 2014, 02:21 pm
Banned

You say that everytime!

Mind you I have a remote start on a 2006 5 speed GT with no issues, it just has to be installed right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Troy,

Good luck with it. I have no information with what your about to buy. All I can say is that whenever someone comes to this forum (about 10 owners a day or more) and there's some sort of electrical problems, probably 5 out of 10 say that had remote starts, power windows or door locks or some fancy alarm put onto their car and if it can be un-connected, the problem goes away.

If you have a 2006 to 2010 PT Cruiser, my suggestion would be NOT to install the remote start. The electrical system (CAN-BUS) is too sensitive to anything added to it to try and mess with it. But that's just my opinion ...and I see you added a post saying you have a 2007.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 04:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
has to be installed right.
LOL, and isn't that one always the issue?

I can see his point that the CAN-BUS makes proper installation even more vital, and that it's less forgiving of user error. (There's also some possible issues with crappy/improper integration by some alarm manufacturers or pro installers too.)

I take it as "It's sensitive... not impossible."
Old 26 Jan 2014, 06:33 pm
Banned

Exactly, he always states the same line though

Never " well it can be done properly my friend busa has a remote start on his 2006 and he states it works just fine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyO View Post
LOL, and isn't that one always the issue?

I can see his point that the CAN-BUS makes proper installation even more vital, and that it's less forgiving of user error. (There's also some possible issues with crappy/improper integration by some alarm manufacturers or pro installers too.)

I take it as "It's sensitive... not impossible."