Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rear speaker help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2014, 08:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question rear speaker help

I just bought a 01 LE PT and the rear speakers dont work, i mean nothing come from them. im no expert but if they were blown should i still hear something like a noise?
could they just be disconnected?
Old 08 Feb 2014, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rear speaker help

The previous owner might have had a stereo system in that he took out and disconnected some wires. He also might have taken the speaker out too. Did you check to see if the speakers are still there?

Where's NO.PO. Florida ??

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Feb 2014, 08:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

i checked and the stockers are still there and i know they didnt have an after market,
if your familiar with the area im on the port charlotte/ north port line behind the murdock walmart
Old 08 Feb 2014, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There are various aftermarket bypass adapters that reroute or share the rear speaker outputs with a subwoofer. If the previous owner had a subwoofer and removed it before sale, that might be your issue.

You can pull the stereo head and inspect the wiring and plugs going into it. Look for a bypass harness that has been plugged in between the plug coming from you car and the stereo head. Or see if any wires have been spiced or cut.

However, my own 2001 Limited had one dead rear speaker when I got. And it is possible that your rear speakers are just dead. To test this, you will either need an ohm meter or a spare good speaker.

These two jobs are about equal in time and difficulty. So you could do either first.

As a side note. The 2001 PT stereo head, wiring harness plug and antenna plug are unique among PT Cruisers. In 2002 Chrysler changed general stereo design. So 1st Gen PT Cruisers from 2002 forward are different. And in my own 2001, I noticed that the rear speakers are made a little differently from those I found at salvage yards on later model PT's. But they are directly interchangeable. And for the stereo head, you can get retro adapters to use newer (early to mid 2000's) OEM Chrysler stereo heads in the 2001 PT. I used a 2004 stereo head myself because it works better with an inexpensive mp3 aux adapter (AIP-CROI-ID) plugged into the CD changer port on the back of the 2004 stereo head.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Feb 2014 at 11:03 am.
Old 08 Feb 2014, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
As a side note. The 2001 PT stereo head, wiring harness plug and antenna plug are unique among PT Cruisers. In 2002 Chrysler changed general stereo design. So 1st Gen PT Cruisers from 2002 forward are different. And in my own 2001, I noticed that the rear speakers are made a little differently from those I found at salvage yards on later model PT's. But they are directly interchangeable. And for the stereo head, you can get retro adapters to use newer (early to mid 2000's) OEM Chrysler stereo heads in the 2001 PT. I used a 2003 stereo head myself because it works better with an inexpensive mp3 aux adapter (AIP-CROI-ID) plugged into the CD changer port on the back of the 2003 stereo head.
is it just that the plugs that r dif. and if so can i just swap connectors with newer year from a junk car?
i already took the head unit off and i didnt see anything out of the ordinary but ill post a pic of the back later.
Old 08 Feb 2014, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdawg View Post
is it just that the plugs that r dif. and if so can i just swap connectors with newer year from a junk car?
i already took the head unit off and i didnt see anything out of the ordinary but ill post a pic of the back later.
I really dislike cutting a vehicle's original wiring harness. But yes, you could cut the plug out of a later model Chrysler and splice it in place of your plug. But there is a wire or two that will need to be swapped if I remember right. Instead, I bought a wiring adapter used to install an aftermarket stereo in a 2001 PT. Then I spiced a later Chrysler stereo plug onto that. It was very simple and it all just plugged in without cutting into my PT's original wires. Please don't cut your PT's wires. It often leaves I huge mess for the next owner.

But for the antenna, you will have to purchase a retro adapter. These sell on eBay for about $12 or less. I believe the DB Link part number was CHA20, but don't hold me to that. You need to check it out for yourself. Ironically, if you instead installed an aftermarket stereo, the 2001 antenna will likely just plug right up without an adapter. This is usually not true of any other model of PT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Feb 2014 at 11:15 am.
Old 08 Feb 2014, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I really dislike cutting a vehicle's original wiring harness. But yes, you could cut the plug out of a later model Chrysler and splice it in place of your plug. But there is a wire or two that will need to be swapped if I remember right. Instead, I bought a wiring adapter used to install an aftermarket stereo in a 2001 PT. Then I spiced a later Chrysler stereo plug onto that. It was very simple and it all just plugged in without cutting into my PT's original wires. Please don't cut your PT's wires. It often leaves I huge mess for the next owner.
i was thinking of pulling each wire from the connector and putting it in the newer one so it looks factory.
do u know which few wires r dif.?
Old 08 Feb 2014, 08:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: rear speaker help

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdawg View Post
i was thinking of pulling each wire from the connector and putting it in the newer one so it looks factory.
do u know which few wires r dif.?
For $4.95,I think I took the really easy route(plug-N-play!):Radio Stereo Speaker Wire Harness Adapter Plug | eBay(they also have the headunit adapters!)
Old 09 Feb 2014, 07:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

thats a good price but i can go to the junk yard and get the connectors free.
ill just look for a wiring diagram for that connector.

what is the benefit of having a little newer radio?
what features r dif or better with an 02-05 compared to the 01?