PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Use optional fact sub wiring for aftermarket install

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2014, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Use optional fact sub wiring for aftermarket install

Can the wiring for the optional factory sub be used for adding an aftermarket amp/sub? Im assuming the wires are there even if the opt sub isnt. Its a 2006 base. Thanks. Also are the wires there i can use for line level input to new amp?

Last edited by Fiveindime; 03 Apr 2014 at 11:39 pm. Reason: Added question
Old 04 Apr 2014, 01:57 am
Banned

Default Re: Use optional fact sub wiring for aftermarket install

Mopar subs suck

No you have to run the wiring for the mopar sub

Don't waste your money and buy a good amp/ speaker box combo

Mopar subs suck, oh wait I already said that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveindime View Post
Can the wiring for the optional factory sub be used for adding an aftermarket amp/sub? Im assuming the wires are there even if the opt sub isnt. Its a 2006 base. Thanks. Also are the wires there i can use for line level input to new amp?
Old 04 Apr 2014, 02:43 am
Senior Cruiser

My Mopar sub works just fine. I like it especially for what I paid for it. But Busa is right. The wiring is not there.
rckstein likes this.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
First, the Mopar subwoofer is awesome. If you like clean clear and well-balanced music, adding the Mopar sub to the original stereo system is a great option.

And yes, you can use much of the wiring for an aftermarket sub. However, that wiring does not come standard in the PT. It all comes in the box with the Mopar sub and must be installed.

Of course, even if you have the Mopar sub wiring harness, it provids only a "line-level" output. A better method would be to run an RCA-level output to the aftermarket sub's amp. If you are using the stock stereo head, you will need an adapter like this one. Just like the Mopar sub wiring harness, this will leave the stock speaker wiring intact. But it adds RCA outputs for an aftermarket sub with its own amp.

One more consideration is the power for the subwoofer amp. The Mopar sub amp only pulls 80 watt. While that's far more than is needed for clear enjoyable music, most aftermarket subs use much more power. So you will need some kind of an amp power supply kit to do the job right.

And on a 2006 PT, the power supply kit becomes even more important since tapping into existing power can cause all kinds of unwanted effects due to the CAN Bus system.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Apr 2014 at 07:00 am.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

So...I need mobar sub harness, PAC RCA output and a Power supply kit? Seems like a lot of trouble.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
So...I need mobar sub harness, PAC RCA output and a Power supply kit? Seems like a lot of trouble.
It all depends on what you are going to do. And if you don't already have a Mopar subwoofer, I wounldn't buy one just to get the harness.

Instead, you will have to tell us more about the rest of your sound system in order to get more specific recommendations. What head unit are you using? Will your sub have a dedicated amp? And does that amp have RCA imputs or "old school" line-level inputs? The more we know, the more we might be able to help.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
it provides only a "line-level" output. A better method would be to run an RCA-level output
You can order the wiring with RCA-level ouput when you purchase the sub on Ebay. Cass Daniels who sells the subs will send you any type you request. I bought a sub w/ line-level outputs off a member from PTCrew years ago. Had Cass send me new RCA wiring this year for about $ 25.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 04 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve1 View Post
You can order the wiring with RCA-level ouput when you purchase the sub on Ebay. Cass Daniels who sells the subs will send you any type you request. I bought a sub w/ line-level outputs off a member from PTCrew years ago. Had Cass send me new RCA wiring this year for about $ 25.
That's very cool, especially if someone wanted to mod the sub with an aftermarket speaker and amp the way NitroPT and some others have. Cass seems like a very cool guy. He actually called me on the phone to ask if I was happy with my sub.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ive got an MTX thunder amp with rca and line level inputs. Amp will power one 10" sub. The radio and all speakers are stock. No oem amp or sub. Thinking of using line level inputs from left rear speaker and mount amp under driver seat. Im guessing i can get to left rear speaker wires in pillar and run thos to new amp under seat.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Cass seems like a very cool guy. He actually called me on the phone to ask if I was happy with my sub.
Yes, he is a very cool guy. I purchased a mopar sub from him just this week. Went down and picked it up in person(apparently I am only the second person to have done so). He gave me a bit of the lowdown on how he came to acquiring so many, some specs, good information, etc. while he was finishing soldering the wiring harness for me(I wanted mine with preamp RCA leads to plug into the aftermarket head unit I am putting in).

I'm still not sure if I am going to keep the OEM driver in the box, but the amp should power a lot of different options that have a higher efficiency that the OEM. We shall see when I install it early next week(waiting for the head unit to do it all at once).

2003 Limited
In its natural habitat.

2005 Dream Cruiser
2003 PT Cruiser Limited
2010 Town and Country Limited
1992 Fifth Avenue

It appears we have a bit of a Chrysler fetish in this house...